Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
YD[_2_] YD[_2_] is offline

Default Graf - Encyclopedia of Electronic Circuits - torrent help?

flipper wrote:

On Sat, 03 May 2008 15:19:51 -0400, default
wrote:

On Sat, 03 May 2008 12:25:44 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Sat, 3 May 2008 09:16:54 -0700, "RST Engineering \(jw\)"
wrote:

Somehow I'm not understanding torrents. I tried downloading it
and got a 12k file that is not readable by anything I've got on
this machine.

You need a program that 'understands' torrent files, like
bitTorrent, uTorrent, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_client

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_%28protocol%29

How
about a torrent mini-tutorial posted somewhere?

Google and Wikipedia are your friends. Seriously, try putting your
question into google: "torrent tutorial."

Jim

What's the etiquette for bit torrent downloading? I'm on dial up
only

I don't really know since I'm on broadband. Just never had occasion to
think about it.

and my connection is often dropped if inactive for a few minutes or
the transfer falls below 50% speed or ~2,500 bps.

That seems terribly odd. How in the world do you stay connected just
browsing if it drops on '50% speed'?

They must have one heck of an aggressive inactivity timer. Too
aggressive if you ask me.

Does participating
cause others in the net grief, or will it cause me problems?
I can set some other program to download to keep the connection open
but that hurts the torrent . . . .

Figure out what the inactivity time is and have something kick off a
web page every now and then.

There are some tools that will do that automatically. Also, some sites,
notably newspapers, will refresh the site view every few minutes so
they can load up another bunch of banners. Plays merry hell for those
with metered accounts. I had a hassle some time back on the job, was
reading some site or another and left it open when I got called for
some field problem. At the end of the day the IT manager bawled me out
over the close to a gig of banners and stuff that had gone through the
gateway.

- YD.