Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Default A Woody Allen Moment

I had a Woody Allen moment, straight out of "Annie Hall", last
evening...

I'm out at the barby introducing five lobsters to their "evening warm
bath", when a particularly feisty one jerks so hard he managed to get
loose from my tongs and took off across the counter top.

If there wasn't a step-up at the edge, he'd have been scurrying across
the desert landscape ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 10:45:44 -0800, Corbomite Carrie
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 10:53:29 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I had a Woody Allen moment, straight out of "Annie Hall", last
evening...

I'm out at the barby introducing five lobsters to their "evening warm
bath", when a particularly feisty one jerks so hard he managed to get
loose from my tongs and took off across the counter top.

If there wasn't a step-up at the edge, he'd have been scurrying across
the desert landscape ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Now, the only questions that remain a

Did he get any special treatment for his efforts at bulking up for you?

And what does that say about the limp ones?

They were all remarkably feisty... the "jumpy" one was a little
larger... almost 2#.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

I had a Woody Allen moment, straight out of "Annie Hall", last
evening...

I'm out at the barby introducing five lobsters to their "evening warm
bath", when a particularly feisty one jerks so hard he managed to get
loose from my tongs and took off across the counter top.

If there wasn't a step-up at the edge, he'd have been scurrying across
the desert landscape ;-)

...Jim Thompson

We had six people, four crabs, one loaf of bread, and two giant
bottles of Chimay red label. There's leftovers to make crab cakes. Of
course, we saved a little room for flaming bananas.

I went once to a wonderful, grubby little joint on the Ile de Re. The
protocol is that you go in and sit at a crude wooden table. A dour guy
comes over and throws a couple of live lobsters on the table. You
scowl, he shruggs, and he takes them away and brings a couple of
bigger ones. When you're finally satisfied, he broils them, in a
couple of minutes, and brings them back with a bottle of white wine
that has no cork or label. Good.

Haven't had a serious work-related email in at least 2 weeks, so I'm
just cleaning up, piles of papers and magazines at work and home, and
all sorts of cables and parts and notes and stuff to organize. We work
in a very messy business.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

I had a Woody Allen moment, straight out of "Annie Hall", last
evening...

I'm out at the barby introducing five lobsters to their "evening warm
bath", when a particularly feisty one jerks so hard he managed to get
loose from my tongs and took off across the counter top.

If there wasn't a step-up at the edge, he'd have been scurrying across
the desert landscape ;-)

...Jim Thompson

We had six people, four crabs, one loaf of bread, and two giant
bottles of Chimay red label. There's leftovers to make crab cakes. Of
course, we saved a little room for flaming bananas.

Sounds good!

I went once to a wonderful, grubby little joint on the Ile de Re. The
protocol is that you go in and sit at a crude wooden table. A dour guy
comes over and throws a couple of live lobsters on the table. You
scowl, he shruggs, and he takes them away and brings a couple of
bigger ones. When you're finally satisfied, he broils them, in a
couple of minutes, and brings them back with a bottle of white wine
that has no cork or label. Good.

Them's the best kind of places ;-)

Haven't had a serious work-related email in at least 2 weeks, so I'm
just cleaning up, piles of papers and magazines at work and home, and
all sorts of cables and parts and notes and stuff to organize. We work
in a very messy business.

John

Actually I had an emergency request for design verification but, yep,
this is generally a slow time of year... which is good... gives me
time to help around the house for holiday prep, which keeps the wife
happy.

I'm doing the same as you today, trying to find the surface of the
desk ;-)

Time to go outside in the frigid near 70°F weather ;-) and cut up all
the cardboard waste from Christmas into the recycle bin.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

Hmm, interesting. I had the very same thing happen, except that mine
required a short trip to the client right after Christmas. Plus the help
around the house thing.

I'm doing the same as you today, trying to find the surface of the
desk ;-)

Well, you once said "It's _my_ office". So the missus won't likely help
you there. If you don't feel like cleaning up post a placard like this:
Order is for the simple-minded, a genius find his way through chaos with
ease.

Time to go outside in the frigid near 70°F weather ;-) and cut up all
the cardboard waste from Christmas into the recycle bin.

Not here. We don't give Christmas presents to each other, just to
others. Except stuff we both want together. Sometimes nothing, sometimes
little stuff, sometimes big stuff like the pool table.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:

snip

I'm doing the same as you today, trying to find the surface of the
desk ;-)

Desks have a surface ???

Ed

Time to go outside in the frigid near 70°F weather ;-) and cut up all
the cardboard waste from Christmas into the recycle bin.

...Jim Thompson

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

You've seen the placard, "A neat desk is a sign of a sick mind" ;-)

I'm cleaning up for my own sake... I can't find anything.

Time to go outside in the frigid near 70°F weather ;-) and cut up all
the cardboard waste from Christmas into the recycle bin.

Not here. We don't give Christmas presents to each other, just to
others. Except stuff we both want together. Sometimes nothing, sometimes
little stuff, sometimes big stuff like the pool table.

You forget, we had all our kids, their spouses and eight grandchildren
here for Christmas celebration... makes for quite a trash mess :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

I had a Woody Allen moment, straight out of "Annie Hall", last
evening...

I'm out at the barby introducing five lobsters to their "evening warm
bath", when a particularly feisty one jerks so hard he managed to get
loose from my tongs and took off across the counter top.

If there wasn't a step-up at the edge, he'd have been scurrying across
the desert landscape ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Always keep a .357 on hand just for that very reason... Never can tell
when those critters will make a break for it, and sometimes it is
necessary to teke agressive action!
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 16:03:25 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

You forget, we had all our kids, their spouses and eight grandchildren
here for Christmas celebration... makes for quite a trash mess :-(

...Jim Thompson

We invited 24 lobsters for christmas this year... They all enjoyed it
very much. Lobster is just the right stuff, correct colors and all!
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

ehsjr wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

snip

I'm doing the same as you today, trying to find the surface of the
desk ;-)

Desks have a surface ???

Yeah, but it's on the BOTTOM!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

I had a Woody Allen moment, straight out of "Annie Hall", last
evening...

I'm out at the barby introducing five lobsters to their "evening warm
bath", when a particularly feisty one jerks so hard he managed to get
loose from my tongs and took off across the counter top.

If there wasn't a step-up at the edge, he'd have been scurrying across
the desert landscape ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Always keep a .357 on hand just for that very reason... Never can tell
when those critters will make a break for it, and sometimes it is
necessary to teke agressive action!

Just tazer them. There's no risk of them yelling, "Don't taze me,
BRO!!!"

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 19:16:59 -0500, the renowned "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

ehsjr wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

snip

I'm doing the same as you today, trying to find the surface of the
desk ;-)

Desks have a surface ???

Yeah, but it's on the BOTTOM!

It's all the same surface.. Mobius Desk!

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"PeterD" wrote in message
We invited 24 lobsters for christmas this year... They all enjoyed it
very much. Lobster is just the right stuff, correct colors and all!

Red on the outside, green on the inside?

:-x

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: A very philosophical monk.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
It's all the same surface.. Mobius Desk!

3D -- Klein.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: A very philosophical monk.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 21:55:15 -0600, the renowned "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
.. .
It's all the same surface.. Mobius Desk!

3D -- Klein.

Tim

Hardly,.. I've got a huge desk.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Joe Joe is offline

You know, theres nothing like fresh protein. Lovely....
I know you are not the Jim Thompson from Northern Ireland a lifetime ago.
Joe Magee (Australia nee Belfast)

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I had a Woody Allen moment, straight out of "Annie Hall", last
evening...

I'm out at the barby introducing five lobsters to their "evening warm
bath", when a particularly feisty one jerks so hard he managed to get
loose from my tongs and took off across the counter top.

If there wasn't a step-up at the edge, he'd have been scurrying across
the desert landscape ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

I had a Woody Allen moment, straight out of "Annie Hall", last
evening...

I'm out at the barby introducing five lobsters to their "evening warm
bath", when a particularly feisty one jerks so hard he managed to get
loose from my tongs and took off across the counter top.

If there wasn't a step-up at the edge, he'd have been scurrying across
the desert landscape ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Always keep a .357 on hand just for that very reason... Never can tell
when those critters will make a break for it, and sometimes it is
necessary to teke agressive action!

And blow half the ****ing thing away?! A simple pellet rifle would do
just fine.

With the pellet rifle the others don't get the message nearly as well
as with the 357... And if you aim carefully you can take off the head
and leave the claws and tail unmollested--still good for eating!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

Time to go outside in the frigid near 70°F weather ;-) and cut up all
the cardboard waste from Christmas into the recycle bin.

Not here. We don't give Christmas presents to each other, just to
others. Except stuff we both want together. Sometimes nothing, sometimes
little stuff, sometimes big stuff like the pool table.

You forget, we had all our kids, their spouses and eight grandchildren
here for Christmas celebration... makes for quite a trash mess :-(

Yep, kids expect gifts these days, and lots of them. Although that's
kind of sad and not the real meaning of Christmas.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 17:25:47 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

Time to go outside in the frigid near 70°F weather ;-) and cut up all
the cardboard waste from Christmas into the recycle bin.

Not here. We don't give Christmas presents to each other, just to
others. Except stuff we both want together. Sometimes nothing, sometimes
little stuff, sometimes big stuff like the pool table.

You forget, we had all our kids, their spouses and eight grandchildren
here for Christmas celebration... makes for quite a trash mess :-(

Yep, kids expect gifts these days, and lots of them. Although that's
kind of sad and not the real meaning of Christmas.

You have no kids?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 17:25:47 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]
Time to go outside in the frigid near 70°F weather ;-) and cut up all
the cardboard waste from Christmas into the recycle bin.

Not here. We don't give Christmas presents to each other, just to
others. Except stuff we both want together. Sometimes nothing, sometimes
little stuff, sometimes big stuff like the pool table.
You forget, we had all our kids, their spouses and eight grandchildren
here for Christmas celebration... makes for quite a trash mess :-(

Yep, kids expect gifts these days, and lots of them. Although that's
kind of sad and not the real meaning of Christmas.

You have no kids?

Nope. Too many miscarriages :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 18:06:19 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 17:25:47 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]
Time to go outside in the frigid near 70°F weather ;-) and cut up all
the cardboard waste from Christmas into the recycle bin.

Not here. We don't give Christmas presents to each other, just to
others. Except stuff we both want together. Sometimes nothing, sometimes
little stuff, sometimes big stuff like the pool table.
You forget, we had all our kids, their spouses and eight grandchildren
here for Christmas celebration... makes for quite a trash mess :-(

Yep, kids expect gifts these days, and lots of them. Although that's
kind of sad and not the real meaning of Christmas.

You have no kids?

Nope. Too many miscarriages :-(

Sorry :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Default Klein Bottle (was: A Woody Allen Moment)

"Tim Williams" wrote
"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
It's all the same surface.. Mobius Desk!

3D -- Klein.

Tim

IIRC, the Klein Bottle is NOT a 3-D object. A 3-D _model_ of
it requires a part of the tube bit to go pass through the wall
of part of the bottle bit, which disrupts things. I think I
read it's actually a 4-D object. After all, a Moebius band is
a 3-D object, and not 2-D.

True, a point on a Moebius band can be described by just 2 parameters
(distance around, and distance across) (again, IIRC), BUT the band still has
to reside in 3-D space.

Martin
--
M.A.Poyser Tel.: 07967 110890
Manchester, U.K. http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=fleetie

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Tim Williams wrote:
"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

It's all the same surface.. Mobius Desk!

3D -- Klein.

Tim

So my desk has been twisted throught the 4th dimension?
That explains a LOT!

Ed

--
Deep Fryer: A very philosophical monk.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"ehsjr" wrote in message
Tim Williams wrote:
"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

It's all the same surface.. Mobius Desk!

3D -- Klein.

Tim

So my desk has been twisted throught the 4th dimension?
That explains a LOT!

Has anyone seen the movie "Brazil"? When your desk is full, just pull out a
little more.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

ehsjr wrote:
Tim Williams wrote:
"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

It's all the same surface.. Mobius Desk!

3D -- Klein.

Tim

So my desk has been twisted throught the 4th dimension?
That explains a LOT!

Where do you think all those lost items disappeared?
Just rotate the desk in the right direction, and ALL articles
will re-appear.....
Now find the right direction

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 22:56:58 +0100, Sjouke Burry wrote:
ehsjr wrote:
Tim Williams wrote:
"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

It's all the same surface.. Mobius Desk!

3D -- Klein.

So my desk has been twisted throught the 4th dimension? That explains a
LOT!

Where do you think all those lost items disappeared? Just rotate the
desk in the right direction, and ALL articles will re-appear.....
Now find the right direction

Right angles to the speed of light. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Tim Williams wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
It's all the same surface.. Mobius Desk!

3D -- Klein.

No way! Everything you put in a drawer falls on the floor!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Right angles to the speed of light. ;-)

Get outside the desk's light cone?

Where'd I put my tachyon generator...

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: A very philosophical monk.

INSPIRATION - VW Woody J T Woodworking 0 October 16th 07 08:50 AM
INSPIRATION - Woody J T Woodworking 0 October 14th 07 10:51 AM
WOODY After Math Woodworking 2 August 8th 04 12:19 AM
WOODY PICKUP J T Woodworking 2 June 30th 04 02:30 PM
PAY - Woody T. Woodworking 0 October 30th 03 07:17 AM