Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sco.electronics.design

Default What NOT to do when cleaning a mouse??

What NOT to do when cleaning a mouse...

Logitech wireless mouse started producing double-clicks with a single
press, so I took out the batteries, and gave it a good shake and a lot
of "grit" fell out.

That didn't totally cure the intermittent "click", so I gave it a good
flush with denatured alcohol.

Two hours of drying later, it wouldn't come alive.

Four hours later it's now working, but wants to turn itself off at
random :-(

Oh, well.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sco.electronics.design

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:26:42 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

What NOT to do when cleaning a mouse...

Logitech wireless mouse started producing double-clicks with a single
press, so I took out the batteries, and gave it a good shake and a lot
of "grit" fell out.

That didn't totally cure the intermittent "click", so I gave it a good
flush with denatured alcohol.

Two hours of drying later, it wouldn't come alive.

Four hours later it's now working, but wants to turn itself off at
random :-(

Oh, well.

...Jim Thompson

Jim, it takes a while for a mouse to sober up... And it will have one
hell of a headache in the morning, too.

Maybe blow it out with compressed air?
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sco.electronics.design

wrote:

What NOT to do when cleaning a mouse...

Logitech wireless mouse started producing double-clicks with a single
press, so I took out the batteries, and gave it a good shake and a lot
of "grit" fell out.

That didn't totally cure the intermittent "click", so I gave it a good
flush with denatured alcohol.

Two hours of drying later, it wouldn't come alive.

Four hours later it's now working, but wants to turn itself off at
random :-(

Oh, well.

...Jim Thompson

Jim, it takes a while for a mouse to sober up... And it will have one
hell of a headache in the morning, too.

Maybe blow it out with compressed air?

Seems to be working now.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sco.electronics.design

wrote:

What NOT to do when cleaning a mouse...

Logitech wireless mouse started producing double-clicks with a single
press, so I took out the batteries, and gave it a good shake and a
lot of "grit" fell out.

Probably mouse droppings... :-)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sco.electronics.design

wrote:

What NOT to do when cleaning a mouse...

Logitech wireless mouse started producing double-clicks with a single
press, so I took out the batteries, and gave it a good shake and a
lot of "grit" fell out.

Probably mouse droppings... :-)

Probably ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
... gave it a good shake and a lot of "grit" fell out.

http://xkcd.com/237/

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: A very philosophical monk.

Attached Thumbnails
What NOT to do when cleaning a mouse??-keyboards_are_disgusting-png
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sco.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:
What NOT to do when cleaning a mouse...

Logitech wireless mouse started producing double-clicks with a single
press, so I took out the batteries, and gave it a good shake and a lot
of "grit" fell out.

That didn't totally cure the intermittent "click", so I gave it a good
flush with denatured alcohol.

Two hours of drying later, it wouldn't come alive.

Four hours later it's now working, but wants to turn itself off at
random :-(

Oh, well.

...Jim Thompson

The service call read 'System Down And Smells Funny', as a computer
tech you are thinking blown fuses in the PS and somehow the wires
are smoked. Find out a mouse is living in the CPU, old days file
cabinet sized cpu, and has chewed through the wrong wire, killing it
The inside needed to go back to shop, taken apart and powerwashed to
get the mouse **** out of it,
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

And because no alcohol made is purely without water, no matter how high the
proof, it will slowly (perhaps 8 hours, perhaps a day depending on the water
content) come back to life.

You can hasten the process by a slightly elevated temperature, but I'm
loathe to go above 80F on drying any electronic component for fear of
shortening the x axis of the bathtub curve.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

That didn't totally cure the intermittent "click", so I gave it a good
flush with denatured alcohol.

Two hours of drying later, it wouldn't come alive.

Four hours later it's now working, but wants to turn itself off at
random :-(

Oh, well.

...Jim Thompson

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 08:48:36 -0800, "RST Engineering \(jw\)"
wrote:

And because no alcohol made is purely without water, no matter how high the
proof, it will slowly (perhaps 8 hours, perhaps a day depending on the water
content) come back to life.

You can hasten the process by a slightly elevated temperature, but I'm
loathe to go above 80F on drying any electronic component for fear of
shortening the x axis of the bathtub curve.

Jim

The mouse is behaving quite well now. Since I always have a spare
on-hand I'll think I'll make that a regular cleaning procedure ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

And because no alcohol made is purely without water, no matter how high the
proof, it will slowly (perhaps 8 hours, perhaps a day depending on the water
content) come back to life.

You can hasten the process by a slightly elevated temperature, but I'm
loathe to go above 80F on drying any electronic component for fear of
shortening the x axis of the bathtub curve.

Jim

The mouse is behaving quite well now. Since I always have a spare
on-hand I'll think I'll make that a regular cleaning procedure ;-)

The first part of the thread doesn't show on my server. What did you do?
Dunk it in twelve year old Scotch?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

And because no alcohol made is purely without water, no matter how high the
proof, it will slowly (perhaps 8 hours, perhaps a day depending on the water
content) come back to life.

You can hasten the process by a slightly elevated temperature, but I'm
loathe to go above 80F on drying any electronic component for fear of
shortening the x axis of the bathtub curve.

Jim

The mouse is behaving quite well now. Since I always have a spare
on-hand I'll think I'll make that a regular cleaning procedure ;-)

The first part of the thread doesn't show on my server. What did you do?
Dunk it in twelve year old Scotch?

I poured denatured alcohol into the battery compartment and it ran out
around the buttons.

After around 8 hours of drying it's working like new.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

And because no alcohol made is purely without water, no matter how high the
proof, it will slowly (perhaps 8 hours, perhaps a day depending on the water
content) come back to life.

You can hasten the process by a slightly elevated temperature, but I'm
loathe to go above 80F on drying any electronic component for fear of
shortening the x axis of the bathtub curve.

Jim
The mouse is behaving quite well now. Since I always have a spare
on-hand I'll think I'll make that a regular cleaning procedure ;-)

The first part of the thread doesn't show on my server. What did you do?
Dunk it in twelve year old Scotch?

I poured denatured alcohol into the battery compartment and it ran out
around the buttons.

After around 8 hours of drying it's working like new.

Hopefully it didn't carry any essential stuff out with it. If it's the
Logitech that I have then at least it doesn't have bearings with grease
in them.

How do you get so much crud into it anyhow? Eating chips while doing CAD?

One thing I did find is that it pays to install better contact switches
into a lot of stuff. I always keep a bunch that have good tactile feel
and are nicely sealed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Slate Floor Cleaning / Waxing -- Sealed? Problem with white crud on surface after cleaning... Jamie Dolan Home Repair 4 August 21st 06 03:39 AM
Where's My Mouse? Jack Home Repair 7 November 28th 05 06:34 PM
Getting rid of Mouse Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt Home Repair 29 October 5th 05 08:10 AM
How Does the Mouse Get In? W. Watson Home Repair 15 August 29th 05 07:23 PM
Country Mouse - City Mouse: A Reply To Scott Cramer. Tom Watson Woodworking 16 July 31st 03 04:59 PM