Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Default Balance of Trade Improvement ??

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:04:45 -0700, Jim Thompson

...Jim Thompson

Idiots... The problem is over population, not cars.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:04:45 -0700, Jim Thompson

...Jim Thompson

"BMW said the proposals were "naive" steps that would distort the
market in favour of makers of smaller cars."

Well Duh.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:43:53 -0500, PeterD wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:04:45 -0700, Jim Thompson

...Jim Thompson

Idiots... The problem is over population, not cars.

How do you get third world countries to practice birth control?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:04:45 -0700, Jim Thompson

...Jim Thompson

Porsche is especially opposed to CO2 standards. They sell a 500 hp
turbo Cayenne SUV.

The US balance of trade will be radically affected if there is a
worldwide food shortage, which may be shaping up.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:04:45 -0700, Jim Thompson

...Jim Thompson

Porsche is especially opposed to CO2 standards. They sell a 500 hp
turbo Cayenne SUV.

The US balance of trade will be radically affected if there is a
worldwide food shortage, which may be shaping up.

Are you saying there is a connection?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:19:04 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:43:53 -0500, PeterD wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:04:45 -0700, Jim Thompson

...Jim Thompson

Idiots... The problem is over population, not cars.

How do you get third world countries to practice birth control?

...Jim Thompson

I wish it were possible! But even developed countries such as the US,
are both over populated, and have a growing population. I actually had
to post numbers for the US on a group the other day because some idiot
would not believe it. g
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:43:53 -0500, PeterD wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:04:45 -0700, Jim Thompson

...Jim Thompson

Idiots... The problem is over population, not cars.

How do you get third world countries to practice birth control?

...Jim Thompson

I wish it were possible! But even developed countries such as the US,
are both over populated, and have a growing population. I actually had
to post numbers for the US on a group the other day because some idiot
would not believe it. g

The USA is over-popluated? Cite? By what definition/std? MUCH of the US has
less than a handful of persons per square mile. ????

Bo

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

PeterD wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

Idiots... The problem is over population, not cars.

It is ? News to me. How do you plan to reduce the population ?

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Eeyore wrote:

PeterD wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

Idiots... The problem is over population, not cars.

It is ? News to me. How do you plan to reduce the population ?

Graham

The "Balance of Trade" means the US needs to sell more cars.

So "Balance" the number of cars in thrid world countries.

The US has somewhere about 2.5 cars per family, and third world counties
have about .5 cars per family.

So to balance the trade, the US must ship cars over seas to help the
balance of trade.

We can ship any car over say three years old and make the families in
the US buy new cars.

This will help the car companies and balance the third world.

easy

donald

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:43:53 -0500, PeterD wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:04:45 -0700, Jim Thompson

...Jim Thompson

Idiots... The problem is over population, not cars.

How do you get third world countries to practice birth control?

...Jim Thompson

I wish it were possible! But even developed countries such as the US,
are both over populated, and have a growing population. I actually had
to post numbers for the US on a group the other day because some idiot
would not believe it. g

Aren't we below "replacement"?...

http://usgovinfo.about.com/cs/census...abirthrate.htm

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:52:50 -0600, "Bo" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:43:53 -0500, PeterD wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:04:45 -0700, Jim Thompson

...Jim Thompson

Idiots... The problem is over population, not cars.

How do you get third world countries to practice birth control?

...Jim Thompson

I wish it were possible! But even developed countries such as the US,
are both over populated, and have a growing population. I actually had
to post numbers for the US on a group the other day because some idiot
would not believe it. g

The USA is over-popluated? Cite? By what definition/std? MUCH of the US has
less than a handful of persons per square mile. ????

Bo

The United States is grossly overpopulated. Saying less than a handful
is like saying that until we are all standing shoulder to shoulder
things are just ducky. That's not true.

Currently the US cannot produce enough food to feed the nation (we are
now a food importer!), pollution (from overpopulation) is chokeing the
air, and the quality of live is in a serious decline.

OK, it's great if you are selling land to build new houses, but these
people are the only ones who come out ahead, and that is not a
substantial gain.

A sustainable pouplation is one that can support itself, and not one
person more. Saying that everyone needs to sacrifice so that a few
more people can have more children (children that many can't afford to
support, but that's a different issue) is not wise.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 21:18:22 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

PeterD wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

Idiots... The problem is over population, not cars.

It is ? News to me. How do you plan to reduce the population ?

Graham

Nature's working on it... bg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 15:09:02 -0700, donald
wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

PeterD wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

Idiots... The problem is over population, not cars.

It is ? News to me. How do you plan to reduce the population ?

Graham

The "Balance of Trade" means the US needs to sell more cars.

So "Balance" the number of cars in thrid world countries.

The US has somewhere about 2.5 cars per family, and third world counties
have about .5 cars per family.

So to balance the trade, the US must ship cars over seas to help the
balance of trade.

We can ship any car over say three years old and make the families in
the US buy new cars.

This will help the car companies and balance the third world.

easy

donald

Bwa-ha-ha... I like that! bg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:04:43 -0500, PeterD wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:52:50 -0600, "Bo" wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

What a crock of leftist-weenyism!

We import food because of NAFTA and CHEAPER food from abroad!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Eeyore wrote:

PeterD wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

Idiots... The problem is over population, not cars.

It is ? News to me. How do you plan to reduce the population ?

Graham

Solyent Green, dumbAss.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:45:04 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

PeterD wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

Idiots... The problem is over population, not cars.

It is ? News to me. How do you plan to reduce the population ?

Graham

Solyent Green, dumbAss.

Leftist weenies, by definition, can't get it up ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:43:53 -0500, PeterD wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:04:45 -0700, Jim Thompson

...Jim Thompson

Idiots... The problem is over population, not cars.

How do you get third world countries to practice birth control?

...Jim Thompson

Thats the beauty of nature. If people dont control
population, nature will take care of it, whether we
like it or not.
(Food /fuel running out ,antibiotic resistant bacteria and
new plagues caused by overcrowding etc etc.)
And if that does not do the trick, we always have war.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message

What a crock of leftist-weenyism!

We import food because of NAFTA and CHEAPER food from abroad!

Not to mention that we also import 1.5 million people per year, and he's
critisizing us for population growth.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:19:04 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:43:53 -0500, PeterD wrote:
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:04:45 -0700, Jim Thompson

Idiots... The problem is over population, not cars.

How do you get third world countries to practice birth control?

Pay them not to have babies. ;-)

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 23:07:14 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message

What a crock of leftist-weenyism!

We import food because of NAFTA and CHEAPER food from abroad!

Not to mention that we also import 1.5 million people per year, and he's
critisizing us for population growth.

Now, now, I didn't say I in any way supported that import either! g
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

PeterD wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

...Jim Thompson

Idiots... The problem is over population, not cars.

It is ? News to me. How do you plan to reduce the population ?

Graham

Solyent Green, dumbAss.

but...

It's green!

Proven fact, people don't like to eat green things!

Try this: give someone a choice between a green colored donuts and a
pink ones. Bet the pink one goes first!
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"PeterD" wrote in message

The USA is over-popluated? Cite? By what definition/std? MUCH of the US
has
less than a handful of persons per square mile. ????

Bo

The United States is grossly overpopulated. Saying less than a handful
is like saying that until we are all standing shoulder to shoulder
things are just ducky. That's not true.

That's a gross exaggeration... and a position I did not take. You claim we
are grossly overpopulated. By what definition? And where's the data?

Currently the US cannot produce enough food to feed the nation (we are
now a food importer!), pollution (from overpopulation) is chokeing the
air, and the quality of live is in a serious decline.

Perhaps the USA is not producing enough to feed the nation--but IF that is
true, its not because we lack the ability/resources. Your last statement..
can you back it up with any data? I am sure that some portion of the
population's quality of lfe is in a decline. But, to make such a broad
statement seems unsupported and disingenuous.

http://esa.un.org/unpp/p2k0data.asp

indicates by 2050 our poulation will be 42 people per sq. km. Japan's is
CURRENTLY 338 persons/sq. km. So I guess your definition of overpopulated
has nothing to do with population density? So I think we're OK for the
foreseeable future. Unless we keep our southern border porous. But that's
another subject...

OK, it's great if you are selling land to build new houses, but these
people are the only ones who come out ahead, and that is not a
substantial gain.

Which 'these people'? Most folks I know own or are making payments on their
own land/houses.

A sustainable pouplation is one that can support itself, and not one
person more. Saying that everyone needs to sacrifice so that a few
more people can have more children (children that many can't afford to
support, but that's a different issue) is not wise.

Seems that the difference in our views can be summarized by saying, I have
faith in and that the people of the USA have the ability and resources to
sustain themselves as a whole, whereas you do not. I wonder which countries
you think are not overpopulated? and what your definition of overpopulated
is?

Bo

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"PeterD" wrote in message

Proven fact, people don't like to eat green things!

Try this: give someone a choice between a green colored donuts and a
pink ones. Bet the pink one goes first!

Not on St. Patrick's Day.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:04:43 -0500, PeterD wrote:

The United States is grossly overpopulated.

Not by world standards.

Saying less than a handful
is like saying that until we are all standing shoulder to shoulder
things are just ducky. That's not true.

Currently the US cannot produce enough food to feed the nation (we are
now a food importer!),

Sure, but we export more, roughly $80 billion, and the trend seems to
be towards more exports.

pollution (from overpopulation) is chokeing the
air, and the quality of live is in a serious decline.

Wherever you live (next to a coal mine?), you should consider moving.
In most of the US, air quality has improved greatly in the last few
decades.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

And because we like brie, and grapes in February, and Swiss chocolate.

We export a lot more.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:12:03 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:04:43 -0500, PeterD wrote:

The United States is grossly overpopulated.

Not by world standards.

Saying less than a handful
is like saying that until we are all standing shoulder to shoulder
things are just ducky. That's not true.

Currently the US cannot produce enough food to feed the nation (we are
now a food importer!),

Sure, but we export more, roughly $80 billion, and the trend seems to
be towards more exports.

pollution (from overpopulation) is chokeing the
air, and the quality of live is in a serious decline.

Wherever you live (next to a coal mine?), you should consider moving.
In most of the US, air quality has improved greatly in the last few
decades.

John

Certainly that is so. I was involved with automotive pollution
control devices in the '60's. Air quality was FAR worse than it is
today. Now I can look to the SE and see the mountains near Tucson...
almost 100 miles away.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message
Certainly that is so. I was involved with automotive pollution
control devices in the '60's.

Did you feel at the time that it was unreasonable for the government to be
mandating pollution controls? That perhaps just the "market" would sort
things out -- consumers would demand cleaner-running cars once air pollution
became bad enough?

I'm just curious what your stance is on how society ought to decide what
reasonable standards for pollution (or, almost equivalently, fuel efficiency)
ought to be. Do you support Bush's approval yesterday or legislation to
require average fuel economy to increase to 30MPG by 2010?

By the way, the TCP/IP kid is certainly cute! Congratulations...

---Joel

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:25:57 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message
Certainly that is so. I was involved with automotive pollution
control devices in the '60's.

Did you feel at the time that it was unreasonable for the government to be
mandating pollution controls?

Yes.

That perhaps just the "market" would sort
things out -- consumers would demand cleaner-running cars once air pollution
became bad enough?

Not then, but I think the public is more attuned to "clean" now.

I'm just curious what your stance is on how society ought to decide what
reasonable standards for pollution

I'm for pollution standards.

(or, almost equivalently, fuel efficiency)
ought to be.

I'm against the government, the dumbest bunch of people on the planet,
deciding HOW it should be done.

Do you support Bush's approval yesterday of legislation to
require average fuel economy to increase to 30MPG by 2010?

No. It's quite foolish. Most of the people will end up driving light
weight cars that are unsafe. Of course I'll still be driving my tank.
Want to collide ?:-)

It would be better to tax gasoline, then let the marketplace find
alternative fuels.

By the way, the TCP/IP kid is certainly cute! Congratulations...

---Joel

Thanks !-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 15:48:27 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:25:57 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message
Certainly that is so. I was involved with automotive pollution
control devices in the '60's.

Did you feel at the time that it was unreasonable for the government to be
mandating pollution controls?

Yes.

I mistyped... should be NO!

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:
That perhaps just the "market" would sort
things out -- consumers would demand cleaner-running cars once air pollution
became bad enough?

Not then, but I think the public is more attuned to "clean" now.

OK. Would you go so far as to say the air would be as clean today as it is if
government hadn't stepped in back in the '60s? That seems pretty unlikely to
me.

I'm against the government, the dumbest bunch of people on the planet,
deciding HOW it should be done.

Yeah, perennial problem though -- by definition the government is the only
group that can compel auto-makers to meet emission requirements, but almost by
definition government's actions always have a high degree of politics mixed in
with any decent scientific reporting.

No. It's quite foolish. Most of the people will end up driving light
weight cars that are unsafe. Of course I'll still be driving my tank.
Want to collide ?:-)

Mmm... no. The comparison isn't entirely black and white, though: Yes, more
people will likely be killed in collisions between larger vehicles and lighter
ones, but how many people are saved due to less pollution kicking about? The
former is easy to measure while the later is pretty much impossible...

At times I have difficulty not just thinking, "You know, how about if we just
halve the population and now everyone gets to drive a car that's half as fuel
efficient and pollution still remains the same?"

---Joel

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I mistyped... should be NO!

Ah, that makes more sense... it did seem a little non-sequitir based on the
rest of your response.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 15:09:04 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:
That perhaps just the "market" would sort
things out -- consumers would demand cleaner-running cars once air pollution
became bad enough?

Not then, but I think the public is more attuned to "clean" now.

OK. Would you go so far as to say the air would be as clean today as it is if
government hadn't stepped in back in the '60s? That seems pretty unlikely to
me.

I'm sure it made the air cleaner. It was noticeably cleaner by the
early '70's.

[...]

Sno-o-o-ort ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:13:34 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

And because we like brie, and grapes in February, and Swiss chocolate.

We export a lot more.

John

But not nearly enough:

http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/

But again, nature is fixing that problem. The weak Dollar is making
our exports more attractive, and making imports more expensive.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:56:23 -0600, "Bo" wrote:

Seems that the difference in our views can be summarized by saying, I have
faith in and that the people of the USA have the ability and resources to
sustain themselves as a whole, whereas you do not. I wonder which countries
you think are not overpopulated? and what your definition of overpopulated
is?

Bo

This is a good discussion, and I think it should continue, but it is
way off-topic here and perhaps we should move it elsewhere.

Yes, I'm a bit (tiny bit!) radical on population... My utopian society
is about the smallest that anyone would ever consider.

I don't think it is a case of "we can make it work" but a case of "If
we control our population, then some of the problems we have today
will cease to be problems".

You see a happy future, I'm a bit more pessimistic however.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 16:03:13 -0500, "Greg Neill"
wrote:

"PeterD" wrote in message
.. .

Proven fact, people don't like to eat green things!

Try this: give someone a choice between a green colored donuts and a
pink ones. Bet the pink one goes first!

Not on St. Patrick's Day.

I even thought of that when I made the post... g But I was thinking
the other green stuff that day: green beer!

hey, kids, I've got some nice lettuce flavored donuts, who want's
some?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Solyent Green, dumbAss.

but...

It's green!

Proven fact, people don't like to eat green things!

Try this: give someone a choice between a green colored donuts and a
pink ones. Bet the pink one goes first!

I won't touch either color of Doughnut, I'm diabetic.

I eat a lot of green foods. in fact, I just got home from the
grocery where I bought four pounds of sliced green peppers (A mix of
Red, Yellow, Green peppers, and onions) to make chili.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:10:17 -0500, PeterD wrote:

[...]

You should be more concerned about the population of Africa. What are
you doing about that ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

[...]

Only fairies and leftist weenies believe in utopia and man-caused
global warming ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 21:47:12 -0600, flipper wrote:
[...]

Treating people like cattle only seems 'better' to those who fancy
themselves cattle barons.

The pro-"life"rs believe that women are cattle. In their twisted little
version of reality, if a woman becomes pregnant, she no longer has any
rights - only the fetus has rights.

Gawd, I hate pro-lifers. :-[

Thanks.
Rich