Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Jim Thompson Jim Thompson is offline

Default Balance of Trade Improvement ??

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 15:48:27 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:25:57 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message
Certainly that is so. I was involved with automotive pollution
control devices in the '60's.

Did you feel at the time that it was unreasonable for the government to be
mandating pollution controls?

Yes.

I mistyped... should be NO!

That perhaps just the "market" would sort
things out -- consumers would demand cleaner-running cars once air pollution
became bad enough?

Not then, but I think the public is more attuned to "clean" now.

I'm just curious what your stance is on how society ought to decide what
reasonable standards for pollution

I'm for pollution standards.

(or, almost equivalently, fuel efficiency)
ought to be.

I'm against the government, the dumbest bunch of people on the planet,
deciding HOW it should be done.

Do you support Bush's approval yesterday of legislation to
require average fuel economy to increase to 30MPG by 2010?

No. It's quite foolish. Most of the people will end up driving light
weight cars that are unsafe. Of course I'll still be driving my tank.
Want to collide ?:-)

It would be better to tax gasoline, then let the marketplace find
alternative fuels.

By the way, the TCP/IP kid is certainly cute! Congratulations...

---Joel

Thanks !-)

...Jim Thompson

...Jim Thompson