dot

Default Need a router for PC 4212 dovetail jig

I just received the PC 4212 as a belated Christmas present tonight from
SWMBO.

My old hand-me-down Craftsman 1/4" collet router is not going to work
with this thing (the included router bits are 1/2" shank, and my
sub-base doesn't accept 1 3/8" template guides). THE BIG QUESTION:
What router (generally or specifically) should I purchase? I've just
started woodworking, sort of stumbled into it via new (old) house
purchase and kitchen remodel. Looking mostly to build small furniture
(shelves, storage bins, wine racks, etc.).

Oh, and I try to buy most of my stuff used - is this a good idea with a
router?

Thanks!

Brian
Bob

PC 690 Lowe's $99.

Bob

OldSalt

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:51:46 -0700, dot "bml_in_co(at)yahoo(dot)com"
wrote:

I just received the PC 4212 as a belated Christmas present tonight from
SWMBO.

My old hand-me-down Craftsman 1/4" collet router is not going to work
with this thing (the included router bits are 1/2" shank, and my
sub-base doesn't accept 1 3/8" template guides). THE BIG QUESTION:
What router (generally or specifically) should I purchase? I've just
started woodworking, sort of stumbled into it via new (old) house
purchase and kitchen remodel. Looking mostly to build small furniture
(shelves, storage bins, wine racks, etc.).

Oh, and I try to buy most of my stuff used - is this a good idea with a
router?

Thanks!

Brian

My vote is the PC 690 as well. I got one a few mounts ago from the
TOOL CRIB for $145 US. A few days later got one at HOME DEPOT for $99
US. I have had the PC "D" handle router for 8 + years and it has many
many hours of use. I would also recommend you get the clear router
base plates from Pat Warner. It is nice to see what you are doing.
Ray

Search around for this combo kit:

http://www.toolsplus.com/p-c693vspk.html

Someone I work with bought this right before Xmas for $199 and got a
mail-in form for the D Handle base. All 3 bases and a fence for $199,
not bad!

Bimmer

I was in a similar situation.

It was suggested to me I get a PC 690 and keep the old router with my
1/4" round over bit permanently installed. It makes for very quick
changes.

It has proved to be sage advice. Now I'm actually thinking about
replacing the old router with another 690. They are no longer the top
of the line, but for an occasional woodworker, you can't beat the
current prices.

wrote:

I just received the PC 4212 as a belated Christmas present tonight from
SWMBO.

My old hand-me-down Craftsman 1/4" collet router is not going to work
with this thing (the included router bits are 1/2" shank, and my
sub-base doesn't accept 1 3/8" template guides). THE BIG QUESTION:
What router (generally or specifically) should I purchase? I've just
started woodworking, sort of stumbled into it via new (old) house
purchase and kitchen remodel. Looking mostly to build small furniture
(shelves, storage bins, wine racks, etc.).

Oh, and I try to buy most of my stuff used - is this a good idea with a
router?

Thanks!

Brian

toller

Most woodworking tools are fairly priced, so pick one in your budget and you
should be okay. As someone said, variable speed in a handheld is not
necessary, but doesn't hurt.

As long as it hasn't been dropped on the floor, a used router should be
fine; good luck finding one.

A PC router, such as what other people have suggested, will save you a
couple dollars if the jig came with a template guide that fits only PC
routers.

Leon

"dot" "bml_in_co(at)yahoo(dot)com" wrote in message
I just received the PC 4212 as a belated Christmas present tonight from
SWMBO.

My old hand-me-down Craftsman 1/4" collet router is not going to work with
this thing (the included router bits are 1/2" shank, and my sub-base
doesn't accept 1 3/8" template guides). THE BIG QUESTION: What router
(generally or specifically) should I purchase?

At least 1.5 hp. That said, I have been making DT's with a router since the
early 80's. Untill I bought a router that was EASILY adjustable in very
small repeatable increments the bit depth setting was a PIA escecially for
Blind DT's. 6 years ago I bought the Bosch 1617EVS. It very easily adjusts
in coarse or fine increments and has variable speed. I suggest a router
that has similar capabilities.

dot

Thank you all for your advice.

SWMBO and I went to Lowe's tonight, and she bought me the PC 690 to make
the Christmas gift complete. I figured the Bosch would be pushing my luck.
D. J. Dorn

Make sure you load up on those dovetail bits for that machine when you get
the chance. I fear that since they are proprietary, they are going to want
an arm and a leg. I have that machine too and while I really like the bulk
and all other conveniences, I really don't like having to be locked into
Porter Cable for a router bit that no one else seems to make. If anyone has
an idea where I can get a 17/32 7 degree dovetail bit and an 11/32" straight
bit, I'm all ears.

Don