Patriarch

dot "bml_in_co(at)yahoo(dot)com" wrote in news:UYudnQrZxJmefUHcRVn-
:

I just received the PC 4212 as a belated Christmas present tonight from
SWMBO.

My old hand-me-down Craftsman 1/4" collet router is not going to work
with this thing (the included router bits are 1/2" shank, and my
sub-base doesn't accept 1 3/8" template guides). THE BIG QUESTION:
What router (generally or specifically) should I purchase? I've just
started woodworking, sort of stumbled into it via new (old) house
purchase and kitchen remodel. Looking mostly to build small furniture
(shelves, storage bins, wine racks, etc.).

Oh, and I try to buy most of my stuff used - is this a good idea with a
router?

The PC 690 series is rock solid, is the standard to which every accessory
must conform, and is generally affordably priced. For dovetails, variable
speed is a luxury, if you are looking to save some cash. I have three PCs.

www.patwarner.com has a lot of really expert info on routers... And good
accessories, too.

Active woodworkers do not give up routers - they are just too convenient in
multiples. Many of use have three or more. So used ones are likely either
junk, or at an estate sale, and may still be junk.

Patriarch