OldSalt

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:51:46 -0700, dot "bml_in_co(at)yahoo(dot)com"
wrote:

I just received the PC 4212 as a belated Christmas present tonight from
SWMBO.

My old hand-me-down Craftsman 1/4" collet router is not going to work
with this thing (the included router bits are 1/2" shank, and my
sub-base doesn't accept 1 3/8" template guides). THE BIG QUESTION:
What router (generally or specifically) should I purchase? I've just
started woodworking, sort of stumbled into it via new (old) house
purchase and kitchen remodel. Looking mostly to build small furniture
(shelves, storage bins, wine racks, etc.).

Oh, and I try to buy most of my stuff used - is this a good idea with a
router?

Thanks!

Brian

My vote is the PC 690 as well. I got one a few mounts ago from the
TOOL CRIB for $145 US. A few days later got one at HOME DEPOT for $99
US. I have had the PC "D" handle router for 8 + years and it has many
many hours of use. I would also recommend you get the clear router
base plates from Pat Warner. It is nice to see what you are doing.