Bimmer

I was in a similar situation.

It was suggested to me I get a PC 690 and keep the old router with my
1/4" round over bit permanently installed. It makes for very quick
changes.

It has proved to be sage advice. Now I'm actually thinking about
replacing the old router with another 690. They are no longer the top
of the line, but for an occasional woodworker, you can't beat the
current prices.

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:51:46 -0700, dot "bml_in_co(at)yahoo(dot)com"
wrote:

I just received the PC 4212 as a belated Christmas present tonight from
SWMBO.

My old hand-me-down Craftsman 1/4" collet router is not going to work
with this thing (the included router bits are 1/2" shank, and my
sub-base doesn't accept 1 3/8" template guides). THE BIG QUESTION:
What router (generally or specifically) should I purchase? I've just
started woodworking, sort of stumbled into it via new (old) house
purchase and kitchen remodel. Looking mostly to build small furniture
(shelves, storage bins, wine racks, etc.).

Oh, and I try to buy most of my stuff used - is this a good idea with a
router?

Thanks!

Brian