Keith Carlson

Default 3-wire electrical circuit serving both 110 and 220V loads?

I know I'm going to get the "DAGS" for this question, but I just came from
there, and I didn't see this specific information. Lots of debate about how
much current the neutral wire carries, though :-)

With a 3-wire circuit, is it okay to wire both 120V and 240V outlets on that
same circuit? I know it's *possible* by using the two hots for 240 and
either hot and neutral for 120, but is it recommended? Maybe this is the
main reason for this type of circuit, so I didn't see reference to it on
Google. Much of the discussion I read was on balancing the load, which could
imply using the 3-wire circuit with all 120V outlets.

I've got a dust collector coming soon, and the extra 6-7 continuous amps is
going to result in some frequent breaker trips when I start a saw or planer.
Looked at my electrical service, and found there's an unused double-pole 30A
breaker, feeding an unused dryer outlet (house had a gas dryer when I moved
in). That should give me the 2 hots for a 3-wire circuit.

My thought on this type of circuit is to wire one outlet at 240V (re-wire DC
motor to 220V), and the rest wired at 120V. With that 30A breaker and 10 AWG
wire, should have no problem handling the loads from a DC and air cleaner
running, and startup surge from another tool.

An electrician would be a good idea, too. Hopefully I can find someone
willing to consult with me; I can do the wiring myself.
But I'm hoping to get some idea if this is the way I want to go so I can
cost materials. Won't get an electrician or the inspector on the phone
until next week.

TIA

Keith Carlson

"Keith Carlson" wrote in message

I've got a dust collector coming soon, and the extra 6-7 continuous amps
is

BTW, I read a lot trying to decide on a 1.5 - 2 HP dust collector. Finally
put whatever specs and prices etc. into a spreadsheet to compare them side
by side. (Ended up going with a Penn State unit).

If anyone else is shopping dust collector, and would find this info useful,
I'll be happy to email the sheet. (Hey, I'm a relative newbie, but I'm
trying to contribute *something*).

It's kinda interesting how they line up by price. The Harbor Freight unit is
way below anything in price, even adding on $67 for a felt bag upgrade.
There's a Grizzly and Jet at the high end. But most of them fall right into
a $330-350 range (including shipping and upgrade of bag if it comes with a
30 micron bag).

Greg

If the breaker is double pole and the cable is 4 wire you can do it.
Don't share the neutral and ground!
They even make a combo 120/240v duplex receptacle for this.

Hello Keith,
I am just passing by and noticed your post , I am an electrician.
I do not know what level of experiance you have so let me start with
some warnings, if you know understand what you are doing ignore the
next few lines
(re-wire DC motor to 220V)

I am not sure what you mean here D.C. is NOT a.c.! Unless there is
some transformer-rectifier setup you didn't mention this just wont
work, AT ALL.You will end up in flames.Realize you are saying rewire a
?Voltage Direct Current motor to 220Voltage Alternating
Current...these are different beast.

With that 30A breaker and 10 AWG
wire, should have no problem handling the loads from a DC and air

cleaner
running, and startup surge from another tool.

O.k. that is pretty reasonable there are many appliances that run on
220VAC and use one hot and a neutral to get 120VAC and use that for the
timer, controls, or whatever. Really there is no reason to have put in
a neutral wire in if you weren't needing to use it for that very
purpose, ok you can use it for a 3way or 4way circuit, but that only
holds for small wire...think about it.
If you don't already know the transformer outside your house sends 3
wires.
Grounding is done near your house.
This is what you get fromthe transformer: L1-N-L2
L1 and L2 are the ends of the winding and N is the center tap that they
ground. It is therefore in the middle between the two legs so between
L1-N there is 120VAC and between N-L2 there is 120V and between L1-L2
there is 220VAC DIFFERENCE cause it is really all about potential
difference between points Also you might be fooled into thinking
Neutral is ground it is not . DO NOT use it as such it can be a lethal
mistake.
The only real problem that I see is this:
You have 30 amp double pole breaker.
You want to use 220 for *whatever*
You want to use 120 for *whatever else*
what if the 120v appliance or tool messes up and starts pulling a
higher load until it burns up ...
The breaker would stop it huh....Nope not always, not if it didn't
exceeded the 30 amp breakers capacity.
Which is why you should run a seperate line for your 120v loads and
your 220v loads that are not related.It is just a lot safer , also
ground everything especially on a motor load, it will help reduce
staitc and noise on the line as well. In this case I would run a new
line, but I am an electrician
Oh and by the way always check your local electrical codes they are
always diffent and can sometimes surprise you!
Hth,
M.E.Farmer

Clint

This type of setup is common on a stove, right? 240 for the stove heating
elements, and 110 for the lights/clock?

Personally, I'm thinking of this for my tablesaw/router (router built into
tablesaw wing). It would be handy to just have one cordt to trip over,
rather than two. But I don't know if you can get 4 wire extension cables.
Haven't switched my saw over to 240 yet, so that hasn't been a problem. And
since I'm wiring my garage up with 20 amp circuits, I might not bother.

Clint

"Greg" wrote in message
If the breaker is double pole and the cable is 4 wire you can do it.
Don't share the neutral and ground!
They even make a combo 120/240v duplex receptacle for this.

Chuck Hoffman

There is no argument at all. In a two-wire 115V circuit, the current
carried by the neutral is exactly the same as that carried by the hot wire.
In a three-wire 230V circuit, there is a property called phase angle or
J-factor. This results in current flowing in both directions at the same
time (this is not exactly a true statement but a convenient way to consider
current flow in a three-wire circuit). As the current on one phase
increases from zero to some positive value, the current in the other phase
is decreasing from its positive value to zero. The vector sum of the
currents on the neutral is exactly the same as the total of both phases.
Because of the phase angle, however, that does not mean twice the current.
It never exceeds the total current of each phase individually.

Confusing? Yes. One has to study alternating current and understand plane
geometry and simple trigonometry to comprehend it.

[...]

Chuck Hoffman

Sorry...neglected to answer your original question. I believe the NEC
frowns on connecting across one phase of a 230V circuit to get 115V. That
WOULD double the current on the neutral and result in a potential overload.

"Chuck Hoffman" wrote in message
[...]

neal.don

remember that watts x volts =amps total your watts x if 240 take it times
240 if 120 take x 120 this will give you a idea if your over loaded your
breaker and yes a neutral dose carry some voltage if your circuit are
unbalanced the amps will go up on the neutral it's also the return of
current. some 240 stuff doesn't take a neutral
[...]

toller

It is not recommended. Anything confusing is dangerous, and this is
confusing.

However, if you lose the 30a breaker, it is possible. You cannot use a 30a
breaker because the 120v circuit will not be rated for 30a. You must get a
20a breaker and use #12 for all of it. (I am assuming #12 is adequate,
which might not be true if your run is too long and the current is too high;
you have to check that first)

If 20a will cover the DC and whatever you want to also run on it, you can do
it. Otherwise you can't.

Overall it is a better idea to run two circuits. Did anyone mention that
you will need 12/3 wire for the combination circuit but only 12/2 for the
separate circuits? It is probably just as easy to run two 12/2 as one 12/3.

That was funny about not being able to change DC to AC.

Hello,
sorry that just isn't right I'm sure you meant ;
P=I*E
Or rearranged :
Watts = Amps*Voltage
Amps = Watts / Voltage
Voltage = Amps / Watts
etc..
But even that isn't fully all of the story if you are talking AC power
and Inductive loads.....
then you deal with Impedance and other fun things (power factor),
long story short ... it's complex.
Hth,
M.E.Farmer

Correction
Or rearranged :
Watts = Amps*Voltage
Amps = Watts / Voltage
Voltage = Watts / Amps
Sorry for the screw up.
M.E.Farmer

Doug Miller

In article , "Chuck Hoffman" wrote:
Sorry...neglected to answer your original question. I believe the NEC
frowns on connecting across one phase of a 230V circuit to get 115V. That
WOULD double the current on the neutral and result in a potential overload.

Utter nonsense. It would do nothing of the sort.

In a circuit wired as he described, with (for example) a 10A load at 240V and
a 15A load at 120V, the current in the neutral conductor is 15A. (The 240V
load places *no* current on the neutral.)

Now add a 17A load at 120V on the opposite leg.

One hot leg is drawing 10 + 15 = 25A. The other is drawing 10 + 17 = 27A. And
the current in the neutral is 17 *minus* 15 = 2A.

--
Regards,

Matthew

"Keith Carlson" wrote in message
I know I'm going to get the "DAGS" for this question, but I just came from
there, and I didn't see this specific information. Lots of debate about how
much current the neutral wire carries, though :-)

Agreed, this is a confusing issue. But there are lot of people with
experience on the rec.

With a 3-wire circuit, is it okay to wire both 120V and 240V outlets on
that same circuit? I know it's *possible* by using the two hots for 240
and either hot and neutral for 120, but is it recommended? Maybe this is
the main reason for this type of circuit, so I didn't see reference to it
on Google. Much of the discussion I read was on balancing the load, which
could imply using the 3-wire circuit with all 120V outlets.

Yes, mixing 120V and 240V is possible, and many circuits are designed this
way. That is why (almost) all 240V installations have a neutral wire. If
you used only 240V loads, there would be no need for that neutral wire.

If you want to mix 240V and 120V on the same circuit, at least 4 wires will
be needed. Call them L1, L2, N, and G (for Line1, Line2, Neutral, and
Ground). The "3-wire" terminology was confusing. Hence 3-wire with ground
is common, if a bit of a mouthful.

My tablesaw and jointer have 3 prongs on their plugs (L1, L2, and G) -- no
neutral is needed, since only the 240V motor is used. My bandsaw has 3
prongs (L1, N, and G) If, however, I wanted to add a 120V light bulb at a
240V tool, 4 prongs would be needed (L1 L2 N & G). I would need to add the
neutral wire to carry the 120V current. That's a hassle, which is why most
people would just run a separate plug.

I've got a dust collector coming soon, and the extra 6-7 continuous amps
is going to result in some frequent breaker trips when I start a saw or
planer. Looked at my electrical service, and found there's an unused
double-pole 30A breaker, feeding an unused dryer outlet (house had a gas
dryer when I moved in). That should give me the 2 hots for a 3-wire
circuit.

My thought on this type of circuit is to wire one outlet at 240V (re-wire
DC motor to 220V), and the rest wired at 120V. With that 30A breaker and
10 AWG wire, should have no problem handling the loads from a DC and air
cleaner running, and startup surge from another tool.

Even if the startup surge would cause the current to exceed the breaker
rating, the breaker probably would not open. Circuit breakers have what is
called a time-current curve, which tells you how long a circuit breaker can
carry excess current before it opens. Most breakers will carry 2x or 3x
their rated current (ex: 30 or 45A on a 15A breaker) for ten seconds or so
before they open; even short time delay models will do it for a second or
so, which covers the startup surge. Google on "circuit breaker time current
curve" to check it out for yourself.

Once you go above this level, the breaker will trip very quickly. For
example, when a hot wire shorts to the neutral or ground, a current of many
time the rated current occurs (10x? 20x?), and the breaker trips within
milliseconds.

The general idea is that larger overcurrents trip quickly, but that 2x or 3x
currents can run for a long time. This protects the wiring, which is one of
the reasons for circuit breakers; a "shorted curcuit" level of overcurrent
would damage wires quickly, but lower overcurrents would take a long time to
overheat the wiring.

An electrician would be a good idea, too. Hopefully I can find someone
willing to consult with me; I can do the wiring myself.
But I'm hoping to get some idea if this is the way I want to go so I can
cost materials. Won't get an electrician or the inspector on the phone
until next week.

Calling qualified help is never a bad idea, but this sounds like a simple
project. And this group will be helpful.

Matthew

TIA

Duane Bozarth

Clint wrote:

This type of setup is common on a stove, right? 240 for the stove heating
elements, and 110 for the lights/clock?

Yes, and electrical dryers as well. At least NEC used to (I don't
have a very recent copy to check current, maybe someone else will) allow
the bare wire to be used as neutral in this specific instance (under
some other specific circumstances as well, basically being a single
dwelling). Actually, in a range, the burners typically only draw 110 as
well until they're turned to "hi"...
Roy Smith

"Matthew" wrote:

My tablesaw and jointer have 3 prongs on their plugs (L1, L2, and G) -- no
neutral is needed, since only the 240V motor is used. My bandsaw has 3
prongs (L1, N, and G) If, however, I wanted to add a 120V light bulb at a
240V tool, 4 prongs would be needed (L1 L2 N & G). I would need to add the
neutral wire to carry the 120V current. That's a hassle, which is why most
people would just run a separate plug.

Or a step-down transformer inside the machine. Not that that's not a
hassle in its own way.

The best suggestion I ever saw was just put two bulbs in series.

Or, I suppose, find a source for 240V bulbs (they must exist).
Chuck Hoffman

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
m....

Utter nonsense.

No, it isn't. Look at my simplified description of the current in a
two-phase circuit for a clue that I know what I'm talking about.

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Chuck

Hoffman" wrote:
Sorry...neglected to answer your original question. I believe the

NEC
frowns on connecting across one phase of a 230V circuit to get 115V.

That
WOULD double the current on the neutral and result in a potential

overload.

Utter nonsense. It would do nothing of the sort.

In a circuit wired as he described, with (for example) a 10A load at

240V and
a 15A load at 120V, the current in the neutral conductor is 15A. (The

240V
load places *no* current on the neutral.)

Now add a 17A load at 120V on the opposite leg.

One hot leg is drawing 10 + 15 = 25A. The other is drawing 10 + 17 =

27A. And
the current in the neutral is 17 *minus* 15 = 2A.

Right on Doug,
Exactly thats the idea behind LOAD BALANCING! if the are equal there is
no current on the neutral. The whole idea of the neutral is a 0 volt
refrence only
We really try to achieve 0 volts potential across the neutral it is
technically a ground wire of sorts but is not the GROUND wire .
It isn't magic if you look at how they send it too you from the 'pole
pig' transformer they send L1 and Neutral (ever seen the ground wires
running down the light pole? That's were they ground the neutral at on
there side)
and then L2.
This is a simplification and is only meant to help illustrate the idea.
Please look into it if you want to verify any of this.
['pole pig' transformer step down]
the v's are windings and
the = is the seperator between the windings.

M1-vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv-M2 13.8kv or some other mains voltage
======================
L1-vvvvvv-N-vvvvvv-L2 240v split phase
| | |
|---240v---------|
| | |
L1--120v-N--120v--L2

Excuse my ascii.
The legs L1 and L2 are 180 degrees out of phase with each other that
means one should be at -120 and the other at +120 .
Notice that the Neutral is at the middle...that gives you a ZERO volt
refrence to ground. Why is it needed well we need a reference to ground
so we can use our appliances and not be subject varying voltage levels
from ground. A simple 240v circuit could actually be floating 1000v
above earth ground but between legs only have a potential of 240v but
since there is no ground reference it could be 1000v above earth ground
from just 1 leg, that would hurt a bit

Once again it is all a bit complex.
One could study for years and still be confused.
And ponder this, what is electricity, is it the just the flow of
electrons ....
or is it more to it, like maybe the electrons are just buckets that
travel the circuit slowly tranfering 'photonic energy', hint they are
never consumed in the circuit yet we do get power from the circuit
M.E.Farmer

Keith Carlson

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello Keith,
I am just passing by and noticed your post , I am an electrician.
I do not know what level of experiance you have so let me start with
some warnings, if you know understand what you are doing ignore the
next few lines
(re-wire DC motor to 220V)

I am not sure what you mean here D.C. is NOT a.c.! Unless there is

Thanks, M.E. Sorry for the confusion. As someone else noted, I meant Dust
Collector, not direct current. Made an assumption about the audience of that
post. The dust collector has a 110/220V motor, pre-wired for 110. I believe
it's a straightforward task to re-wire for 220. I don't believe it comes
with a 220V plug, though; I'd need to add that.

The only real problem that I see is this:
You have 30 amp double pole breaker.
You want to use 220 for *whatever*
You want to use 120 for *whatever else*
what if the 120v appliance or tool messes up and starts pulling a
higher load until it burns up ...

I was just thinking about this on the way to pick up pizza. With 10AWG wire,
I'd have a circuit capable of 30A, but the cords from all the tools are
110V/15A. (leaving out the Dust Collector for a moment). Those will plug
into 20A receptacles, so say I wire 20A receptacles on the 120V outlets. Now
suppose the planer or whatever manages to load down and wants to pull
something like 28 amps. The circuit breaker says "no problem". Could run
that way all day and it wouldn't trip. But what about that receptacle that's
rated for 20A?? Are the connections or conductors inside it going to
overheat? Might be some risk there, not to mention the tool itself like you
say. I should go look at my reference book; NEC probably doesn't allow a 20A
rated receptacle on a circuit protected to 30A.

Then there's 120V/30A receptacles. Haven't looked, but probably cost more
than the 20's. The 110V/15A plugs won't fit in them, so I'd have to change
plugs on the tools. Even then I have to consider how likely it is that I'll
have situations where the tool wants to pull more than its rated current.

The 3-wire circuit starts to look like more trouble than it's worth. It
sounded like a slick idea at first, because I have the breaker, and I'd be
able to run 3 wires + ground in my conduit. (Finished walls, and I'm not
going to tear them up, so I'll be running EMT and individual wires inside).

I am going to ask a local electrician, but starting to think about the
original plan of a simple 2-wire 20A circuit. Then go with 220V, on a
separate circuit, on the dust collector if it's needed.

Keith Carlson

"toller" wrote in message
It is not recommended. Anything confusing is dangerous, and this is
confusing.

Saw quite a bit of this debate on various NGs. Some felt it's dangerous
because someone will screw up the neutrals at a later time, or a future
homeowner might replace the double pole breaker with two, and put them both
on the same leg of the service.
Others thought, anyone qualified to work on the wiring or panel should not
be confused by this type of circuit.

However, if you lose the 30a breaker, it is possible. You cannot use a
30a breaker because the 120v circuit will not be rated for 30a. You must
get a 20a breaker and use #12 for all of it. (I am assuming #12 is
adequate, which might not be true if your run is too long and the current
is too high; you have to check that first)

This might be my downfall. It's not going to be practical to use 30A outlets
so the whole circuit can be considered 30A rated.

If 20a will cover the DC and whatever you want to also run on it, you can
do it. Otherwise you can't.

It's looking more like that's what I'll do... back to the original plan and
see how it goes. My thinking, though, was that now on a 15A circuit, I'll
have the breaker trip sometimes on starting a machine. Table saw - about 10%
of the time. Miter saw - maybe 15% of the starts. Planer - probably 1/3 of
the starts trip the breaker.
So I was thinking 20A circuit. But now add the dust collector, drawing 6A
continuous (12 on startup). Now I've got about 14A "headroom" for other
motors to start.

Overall it is a better idea to run two circuits. Did anyone mention that
you will need 12/3 wire for the combination circuit but only 12/2 for the
separate circuits? It is probably just as easy to run two 12/2 as one
12/3.

Yeah, I knew that. I'm running the wiring in EMT conduit though, so I don't
have to tear up finished walls. I thought I read somewhere that you can't
run more than one circuit in the same conduit run. If that's true, two
circuits means more cost.
I suppose another option is replace the 30A breaker with a 20A double-pole,
make it a 20A, 120/240V circuit. Could still use the 20A receptacles then.

Anyway, talked to my neighbor who referred me to another neighbor who's an
electrician. I may be able to get some inexpensive guidance from him.

That was funny about not being able to change DC to AC.

Keith Carlson

"Matthew" wrote in message

"Keith Carlson" wrote in message
Ground). The "3-wire" terminology was confusing. Hence 3-wire with
ground is common, if a bit of a mouthful.

Yeah, this is what I was talking about: 2 hot wires, 1 neutral, 1 grounding
wire. In my HP Richter book, they called it a "3-wire" or "split-wire"
circuit. "3-wire" sounded less confusing to me. Don't know how common that
term is in sparky-land.

[...]

Hmm. I do have trouble tripping the breaker on the current (present) 15A
circuit. Could be that the breaker is old and trips easier? From what you're
saying, starting up a TS or planer shouldn't draw a high current long enough
to trip the breaker.

Doug Miller

In article , "Chuck Hoffman" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om....

Utter nonsense.

No, it isn't. Look at my simplified description of the current in a
two-phase circuit for a clue that I know what I'm talking about.

I read that. And you don't.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article nDKyd.6899$k25.6498@attbi_s53, "Keith Carlson" wrote:

I was just thinking about this on the way to pick up pizza. With 10AWG wire,
I'd have a circuit capable of 30A, but the cords from all the tools are
110V/15A. (leaving out the Dust Collector for a moment). Those will plug
into 20A receptacles, so say I wire 20A receptacles on the 120V outlets. Now
suppose the planer or whatever manages to load down and wants to pull
something like 28 amps. The circuit breaker says "no problem". Could run
that way all day and it wouldn't trip. But what about that receptacle that's
rated for 20A??

Yep, that's a problem. Hence toller's statement that your 120V circuit isn't
rated for 30A. Technically, that's not exactly correct: there's no reason that
you can't have a 120V 30A circuit, as long as the wire is 10ga copper or
larger. But you're probably not going to find any receptacles that you can
plug a 15A or 20A tool into, that are rated for 30A.

Are the connections or conductors inside it going to
overheat?

Not if you don't feed current through it to some downstream load, *and* the
load you have plugged into that outlet never overloads. But if either of those
conditions occurs, yes, there is indeed a risk of overheating and fire.

Might be some risk there, not to mention the tool itself like you
say. I should go look at my reference book; NEC probably doesn't allow a 20A
rated receptacle on a circuit protected to 30A.

Right, it doesn't.

Then there's 120V/30A receptacles. Haven't looked, but probably cost more
than the 20's. The 110V/15A plugs won't fit in them, so I'd have to change
plugs on the tools.

Right on both counts.

Even then I have to consider how likely it is that I'll
have situations where the tool wants to pull more than its rated current.

Not relevant -- you have the same issue with a 20A rated receptacle on a 20A
circuit.

The 3-wire circuit starts to look like more trouble than it's worth. It
sounded like a slick idea at first, because I have the breaker, and I'd be
able to run 3 wires + ground in my conduit. (Finished walls, and I'm not
going to tear them up, so I'll be running EMT and individual wires inside).

Have you considered that when you rewire the dust collector for 240V, it will
pull only half as many amps? This may enable you to run the DC on a 20A
circuit, which you could wire with 12/3 and then add standard 15A or 20A 120V
receptacles. (Code *does* permit 15A-rated receptacles on 20A circuits.)

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article XiLyd.552464$wV.437490@attbi_s54, "Keith Carlson" wrote:
Hmm. I do have trouble tripping the breaker on the current (present) 15A
circuit. Could be that the breaker is old and trips easier? From what you're
saying, starting up a TS or planer shouldn't draw a high current long enough
to trip the breaker.

Yes, that could very easily be the case. Breakers are cheap; replace it and
see what happens.

--
Regards,

LRod

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:18:38 GMT, "Chuck Hoffman"
wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om....

Utter nonsense.

No, it isn't. Look at my simplified description of the current in a
two-phase circuit for a clue that I know what I'm talking about.

Right church, wrong pew.

All the stuff you wrote about phase angle and AC circuits, etc. seems
to be okay, however, you liberally sprinkled in terms that in the real
world of electrical wiring just aren't true. Let's take a look.

There is no argument at all. In a two-wire 115V circuit, the current
carried by the neutral is exactly the same as that carried by the hot wire.

True. You should have stopped there.

In a three-wire 230V circuit, there is a property called phase angle
or J-factor. This results in current flowing in both directions at the same time

I don't recall J-factor in the NEC. That could be me, though.

(this is not exactly a true statement but a convenient way to consider
current flow in a three-wire circuit).

And since it's not, you should have left it alone.

As the current on one phase increases from zero to some positive
value, the current in the other phase is decreasing from its positive
value to zero.

Here's the crux of the problem. In electrical systems (the stuff the
power company provides) current is delivered in three phases. In the
average house, however (and that is what the discussion is about),
power is delivered from only one phase of the three phase system.

It is run through a center tap transformer which yields two "hot" legs
that are 180° out of phase and a common return leg. All three of these
wires, however, are delivered from a single phase.

There is no two phase power. It's either three phase or single phase.
No electrician calls either hot leg a "phase."

The vector sum of the currents on the neutral is exactly the same as
the total of both phases.

Yeah, you could say that...if you wanted to answer the question of
"what time is it?" by telling us how to build a clock.

Because of the phase angle, however, that does not mean twice
the current.

Phase angle, as a concept, is perfectly suited for all sorts of
theoretical discussions but is unnecessarily complex in single phase
wiring. The only "angle" to consider is the 180° that each leg of the
single phase power feed to house is out of to each other.

It never exceeds the total current of each phase individually.

Correct (except for that "phase" thing), but you sure took the long
way around to get to it, and lost half the pack doing it.

Confusing? Yes. One has to study alternating current and understand
plane geometry and simple trigonometry to comprehend it.

Please. Opposite legs have opposite values (because they are 180° out
of phase) and the current is additive. It's simple arithmetic (albeit
incorporating negative numbers).

Sorry...neglected to answer your original question. I believe the NEC
frowns on connecting across one phase of a 230V circuit to get 115V.

Given that stoves and dryers sometimes do that very thing, I believe
you're wrong...unless you could cite the section in which they "frown"
upon it.

That WOULD double the current on the neutral and result in a potential
overload.

This is the part that Doug describes as utter nonsense. And he's
right. The ONLY current on the neutral would result from the
connection across one LEG of the 230V circuit (to get 115V). There is
NO current in the "neutral" of a 230V circuit because there is no
"neutral" in a 230V circuit.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Chuck Hoffman

For the critics, I've been in electronics for 40-some years and have been a
technical school instructor. And I worked for an electric utility. I do,
in fact, know what I'm talking about.

My late father-in-law was a union electrician and he didn't fully understand
AC. He could follow the code, pull wires, bend conduit, install boxes,
switches and outlets, etc., but he had no clue about the physical properties
of electricity.

Now let's talk about your comments. First you say:

"Phase angle, as a concept, is perfectly suited for all sorts of
theoretical discussions...."

It is far more than theory, I'm afraid. It's an important consideration
when working with multi-phase circuits. Then you say:

"Opposite legs have opposite values (because they are 180° out of phase)"

That seems diametrically opposed to your first disdainful comment. It is,
however, precisely the point I was making.

You also said:

"I don't recall J-factor in the NEC.

I've known people who could recite the NEC chapter and verse but had no clue
about the physical properties of electricity or AC circuit analysis. Do you
really understand alternating current and its physical properties ? Or are
you like my father-in-law?

wrote:

[...]

Roy Smith

Chuck Hoffman wrote:
"I don't recall J-factor in the NEC.

I don't know much about the NEC, but I do understand polyphase
circuits (4 years of EE in college). I don't think I've ever heard
the term J-factor. What is it?
LRod

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:14:26 GMT, "Chuck Hoffman"
wrote:

For the critics, I've been in electronics for 40-some years and have been a
technical school instructor. And I worked for an electric utility. I do,
in fact, know what I'm talking about.

I, also have been in electronics for more than 40 years. I have a
pretty good idea of what I'm talking about, too. I've known all sorts
of people over those years; some with the golden finger who didn't
even need schematics to fix complex equipment but who couldn't pour
**** out of a boot with the instructions on the heel.

I've known people that couldn't pass a Morse code exam if it was sent
one character every two minutes but who could teach brilliantly.

And now I know someone with more background and experience perhaps
than I have who can't explain a simple concept involving a single
phase, two pole, center-tapped electrical circuit without complicating
it beyond measure, and then when trying the simple answer gets it
completely WRONG.

Now let's talk about your comments. First you say:

"Phase angle, as a concept, is perfectly suited for all sorts of
theoretical discussions...."

It is far more than theory, I'm afraid. It's an important consideration
when working with multi-phase circuits. Then you say:

Excuse me, but when you're discussing phase angles, AC circuits,
impedance, etc., THEORY is EXACTLY what you're talking about. Or, to
be even more precise, anything involving the movement of electrons is
electrical theory. Want me to prove my point? Let's discuss current
flow; electron or conventional current?

"Opposite legs have opposite values (because they are 180° out of phase)"

That seems diametrically opposed to your first disdainful comment. It is,
however, precisely the point I was making.

But the issue at hadn is a special circumstance; it is the set of
properties that becomes simple, additive arithmetic when the phase
angle is 180°. It uniquely occurs in the center tapped, two pole
circuit that is residential house wiring. Discussion of other phase
angles overly complicates the simple additive (albeit with negative
numbers) process required to understand and calculate resultant
current in a two pole, shared neutral circuit.

You also said:

"I don't recall J-factor in the NEC.

I've known people who could recite the NEC chapter and verse but had no clue
about the physical properties of electricity or AC circuit analysis. Do you
really understand alternating current and its physical properties ?

Yes, I'm afraid I do. But with all your experience and expertise,
explain this:

That WOULD double the current on the neutral and result in a potential
overload.

That was your response to a question about running a 120V load on one
half of a 240V circuit. I said then:

This is the part that Doug describes as utter nonsense. And he's
right. The ONLY current on the neutral would result from the
connection across one LEG of the 230V circuit (to get 115V). There is
NO current in the "neutral" of a 230V circuit because there is no
"neutral" in a 230V circuit.

And I stand by that question; how do you explain this?

You should have left well enough alone.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Duane Bozarth

I think one of the problems in this thread is the confusion of using
"phase" to refer to both true phases as in 3-phase versus the 180-deg
phase difference between the two hot legs of a single-phase AC circuit.

I don't know when it became prevelant or popular (if it actually is or
whether it's still fairly isolated) to refer to the two hots as two
"phases" but I spent a significant amount of time trying to break my
hired hand of the misconception over the last year. He was trained as
an aircraft mechanic and was/is pretty darn good w/ hydraulics,
mechanics, most simple wiring, controls, etc., but apparently was taught
this as gospel regarding single phase AC power...
LRod

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 13:40:40 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

I think one of the problems in this thread is the confusion of using
"phase" to refer to both true phases as in 3-phase versus the 180-deg
phase difference between the two hot legs of a single-phase AC circuit.

I don't know when it became prevelant or popular (if it actually is or
whether it's still fairly isolated) to refer to the two hots as two
"phases" but I spent a significant amount of time trying to break my
hired hand of the misconception over the last year. He was trained as
an aircraft mechanic and was/is pretty darn good w/ hydraulics,
mechanics, most simple wiring, controls, etc., but apparently was taught
this as gospel regarding single phase AC power...

Yes. It even confuses tech school teachers with 40+ years in
electronics who work for the power company...if you can believe that.

I think it's isolated. I remember years ago when I was "educated"
about it. All my prior knowledge of AC theory didn't count for squat
while my friend who educated me was pounding it into my head. Oddly,
one of the things he kept saying was, "the power company won't like
hearing you call it 'two phase.'"

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
toller

I think one of the problems in this thread is the confusion of using
"phase" to refer to both true phases as in 3-phase versus the 180-deg
phase difference between the two hot legs of a single-phase AC circuit.

I don't know when it became prevelant or popular (if it actually is or
whether it's still fairly isolated) to refer to the two hots as two
"phases"

As I understand it, everything is pretty much the same whether you have true
240v (one 240v hot and a 0v neutral) or "2 phase" 240v (two 120v hots 180
degrees out of phase). Everything will work identically. (With the
understanding you would need a 120v "neutral" in the first instance to get
120v to H-N)

However 3 phase electricity is very different. Or so I have heard.

I think that is why 240v is not called "2 phase"; it can be thought of as 1
phase, but is completely different than 3 phase.

Chuck Hoffman wrote:
This has become an obvious standoff and it will serve no purpose to

continue
it.

Respectfully there is no standoff you are wrong.
there is only a single PHASE in household power supplies unless you
have a huge shop and have 3 phase power(rare). What you haven't noticed
was the fact that it is a SINGLE phase that is SPLIT by a transformer
with the center tapped to ground for reference. Not 2 phases , just a
split-phase.........DO NOT CONFUSE!
I don't really understand the difficulty if you have 40 years of
electronics you should have played with tranformers a little by now. Oh
wait a minute this isn't electronics........
Leave it to ELECTRICIANS. I also know electronics and love to build
things but when I started in the electrical field I discovered most of
electronics is diffrent than electrical even the symbols( capacitors
(electronics) look like open-contacts ( electrical) and it took many
years to sort it all out (oh yes I just knew that electronics would
help me....bahh).
Just to qualify myself I have wired many 3 phase transformers and
motors and know what the difference in a delta, wye or delta-wye
transformer, and can wire them correctly too.
M.E.Farmer
Family full of electricians even my mother.

LRod

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 22:47:19 GMT, "toller" wrote:

I think one of the problems in this thread is the confusion of using
"phase" to refer to both true phases as in 3-phase versus the 180-deg
phase difference between the two hot legs of a single-phase AC circuit.

I don't know when it became prevelant or popular (if it actually is or
whether it's still fairly isolated) to refer to the two hots as two
"phases"

As I understand it, everything is pretty much the same whether you have true
240v (one 240v hot and a 0v neutral)...

In the U.S. I don't believe there is any such thing. Household supply
is obtained from a single phase of a three phase system. For all
intents and purposes, when the power grid appears in your
neighborhood, forget about two of those phases. You will never be
involved with them. Only single phase is getting into your house.

The single phase current is transformed from a fairly high voltage off
the feeders to 240V from the output of a center tapped transformer up
on the pole. With regard to that 240V, there is no neutral. The 240V
comes from the two secondaries of the transformer. And there is no +
or -. This is AC, not DC. It is 240V across the two poles.

Our well known 120V supply comes, as you know, from one hot leg and
the center tap of the transformer. Either hot leg will work.

Here is the most important thing: ALL of this; the 240V, and each 120V
is developed from the same single phase of the three phase system. It
is single phase power. There is no "two phase" power.

...or "2 phase" 240v (two 120v hots 180 degrees out of phase).

There is no "two phase" power. The two legs or poles are 180° out of
phase, as you say, because they come off the opposite legs of the
secondary of the transformer. They are NOT two phases of the three
phase system. It is single phase. All of the current in your house
comes from the same, SINGLE phase of the three phase system.

However 3 phase electricity is very different. Or so I have heard.

Yes and no, but I will leave that discussion to those with experience
with it. I have none.

I think that is why 240v is not called "2 phase"; it can be thought of as 1
phase,

It IS single phase. There's no "thinking" about it.

but is completely different than 3 phase.

Sigh. Yes, you have stated a tautology.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Greg

In real "two phase" the phases are 90 degrees out and it is a 4 wire service.
Topology is like the 4 poles of a compass.
Swingman

"LRod" wrote in message

but is completely different than 3 phase.

Sigh. Yes, you have stated a tautology.

54 degrees?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Doug Winterburn

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 01:33:37 +0000, LRod wrote:

The single phase current is transformed from a fairly high voltage off the
feeders to 240V from the output of a center tapped transformer up on the
pole. With regard to that 240V, there is no neutral. The 240V comes from
the two secondaries of the transformer. And there is no + or -. This is
AC, not DC. It is 240V across the two poles.

It is 240VAC, but it is similar to differential signaling (each wire wioth
equal but opposite instaneous voltage & current) as in twisted pair
ethernet vs. AC with a ground reference as in coax TV cable (the ground
stays at a zero volt reference and the voltage on the center conductor
varies symetrically positive and negative in relation to the ground).

- Doug