Doug Miller

In article .com, wrote:
Hello Keith,
I am just passing by and noticed your post , I am an electrician.
I do not know what level of experiance you have so let me start with
some warnings, if you know understand what you are doing ignore the
next few lines
(re-wire DC motor to 220V)

I am not sure what you mean here D.C. is NOT a.c.!

In a woodworking context, "DC" means "dust collector", not "direct current".
He's talking about changing the jumpers on a dual-voltage 120/240 VAC motor on
his dust collector from the current setting of 120VAC operation to 240VAC.
[snip]
The only real problem that I see is this:
You have 30 amp double pole breaker.
You want to use 220 for *whatever*
You want to use 120 for *whatever else*
what if the 120v appliance or tool messes up and starts pulling a
higher load until it burns up ...
The breaker would stop it huh....Nope not always, not if it didn't
exceeded the 30 amp breakers capacity.

So what? The breaker is there to protect the circuit wiring, not the
cord-and-plug connected device. Exactly the same risk exists with a 20A
breaker.

--
Regards,