LRod

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 13:40:40 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

I think one of the problems in this thread is the confusion of using
"phase" to refer to both true phases as in 3-phase versus the 180-deg
phase difference between the two hot legs of a single-phase AC circuit.

I don't know when it became prevelant or popular (if it actually is or
whether it's still fairly isolated) to refer to the two hots as two
"phases" but I spent a significant amount of time trying to break my
hired hand of the misconception over the last year. He was trained as
an aircraft mechanic and was/is pretty darn good w/ hydraulics,
mechanics, most simple wiring, controls, etc., but apparently was taught
this as gospel regarding single phase AC power...

Yes. It even confuses tech school teachers with 40+ years in
electronics who work for the power company...if you can believe that.

I think it's isolated. I remember years ago when I was "educated"
about it. All my prior knowledge of AC theory didn't count for squat
while my friend who educated me was pounding it into my head. Oddly,
one of the things he kept saying was, "the power company won't like
hearing you call it 'two phase.'"

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net