Roy Smith

"Matthew" wrote:

My tablesaw and jointer have 3 prongs on their plugs (L1, L2, and G) -- no
neutral is needed, since only the 240V motor is used. My bandsaw has 3
prongs (L1, N, and G) If, however, I wanted to add a 120V light bulb at a
240V tool, 4 prongs would be needed (L1 L2 N & G). I would need to add the
neutral wire to carry the 120V current. That's a hassle, which is why most
people would just run a separate plug.

Or a step-down transformer inside the machine. Not that that's not a
hassle in its own way.

The best suggestion I ever saw was just put two bulbs in series.

Or, I suppose, find a source for 240V bulbs (they must exist).