Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Yankee Screwdriver

I think I'd like a Yankee Screwdriver. I think I came across one in high
school once, and it really quickly put a hole in a piece of wood that was
better left unpunctured.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what to look for, brand, etc?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
eb.com...
I think I'd like a Yankee Screwdriver. I think I came across one in high
school once, and it really quickly put a hole in a piece of wood that was
better left unpunctured.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what to look for, brand, etc?

Puckdropper

Like this one?
http://www.garrettwade.com/improved-...ZZhgodx7 cEDA

Or these?
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_7zgauynl4z_e

OTOH, since you made a hole, maybe a push drill?
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_19o34p248a_b

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/27/2016 3:37 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I think I'd like a Yankee Screwdriver. I think I came across one in high
school once, and it really quickly put a hole in a piece of wood that was
better left unpunctured.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what to look for, brand, etc?

Puckdropper

Why? I have one but have not used it in over 35 years. The cordless
drill made it obsolete. Faster, easier, more versatile, IMO.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Nov 2016 20:37:57 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I think I'd like a Yankee Screwdriver. I think I came across one in high
school once, and it really quickly put a hole in a piece of wood that was
better left unpunctured.
Does anyone have a suggestion of what to look for, brand, etc?
Puckdropper

No batteries required !

If you fall-in-love-with the twisty-turny thing ...
here's what will adapt your useful bits ..

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43411,43417

I own one , but have never actually used it ..
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 7:02:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On 27 Nov 2016 20:37:57 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I think I'd like a Yankee Screwdriver. I think I came across one in high
school once, and it really quickly put a hole in a piece of wood that was
better left unpunctured.
Does anyone have a suggestion of what to look for, brand, etc?
Puckdropper

No batteries required !

If you fall-in-love-with the twisty-turny thing ...
here's what will adapt your useful bits ..

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43411,43417

I own one , but have never actually used it ..
John T.

I may still have my grandfather's someplace. I know I had it, but haven't seen it
in years. I remember him using it and letting me use it when I was "helping" him as
a little kid.

He's been gone for over 30 years. Now you've made me miss him again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 11/27/2016 3:37 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I think I'd like a Yankee Screwdriver. I think I came across one in
high school once, and it really quickly put a hole in a piece of wood
that was better left unpunctured.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what to look for, brand, etc?

Puckdropper

Why? I have one but have not used it in over 35 years. The cordless
drill made it obsolete. Faster, easier, more versatile, IMO.

I use mine all the time. Never have a problem with stripped
out screwheads or broken screws. Especially useful when I'm
putting screws in and out frequently, as when hanging a cabinet
door and needing to plane it to fit just so.

As for brand, dunno now. Mine are all old Stanleys. There's
two kinds, with and without a return spring, I like the ones
with a spring better. They come in at least 3 sizes, I don't
use the big one much because the stroke is too long.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 11/27/2016 3:37 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I think I'd like a Yankee Screwdriver. I think I came across one in
high school once, and it really quickly put a hole in a piece of wood
that was better left unpunctured.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what to look for, brand, etc?

Puckdropper

Why? I have one but have not used it in over 35 years. The cordless
drill made it obsolete. Faster, easier, more versatile, IMO.

First is the cool factor, and the second is it's an "alcohol powered
tool" as Roy would call it. I have a tool bag in the van that I take to
my relative's because I'm the handyman. A battery powered drill requires
charging and space, and I'd rather not mess with either. For shooting in
a couple screws, I think the Yankee Screwdriver would be just the thing.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/28/2016 5:39 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article XnsA6CDE96166CCpogosupernews@
213.239.209.88, says...

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

[...]

Stanley stopped making them a while back.

Be aware that the originals have a proprietary
chuck for the bits and will only work with bits
made specifically for the Yankee screwdriver.

If you search for "spiral ratchet screwdriver"
on Amazon you'll get a number of hits in
different price ranges, most of which will take
standard hex-shank bits. Read the reviews
carefully.

If you search for Yankee Screwdriver on Amazon you get multiple "other
brand" hits too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 20:37:57 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

I think I'd like a Yankee Screwdriver. I think I came across one in
high school once, and it really quickly put a hole in a piece of wood
that was better left unpunctured.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what to look for, brand, etc?

I've always been partial to the old Goodell-Pratt ones, but it's
difficult to find an assortment of blades for them.

BTW, their push drills are better than the Stanley ones and bits are a
little easier to find than screwdriver blades.

--
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

My thought as well. Besides it falls within my personal safety rule. Never
turn on a power tool after I have had a drink.

Cordless drill. Nope.
Lathe. Nope.
Welder. Nope.
Tractor. Nope.

Yankee Screw Driver !!!! Hey bubba hold my beer and watch this.

I've got an old Craftsman yankee screw driver sitting on my never ending
projects bench right now. It has the same proprietary bit issue as many
others. Worse I've managed to misplace all the bits. I could buys some. I
see them on Ebay. But... my plan is to make my own adapter for it to use
hex bits. I've actually already made a couple. They are just waiting on me
to finish my broach holder / lathe cross drill before I epoxy in the magnet.
Might also cut the shank on a straight shank drill chuck or a pin drill (or
both) to fit it. Then I'll be able to use it as a push drill for bit sizes
not readily available with hex shanks.

Go find one at a gar(b)age sale that somebody else has lost all the bits for
and you are good to go. LOL.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/27/2016 6:35 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I may still have my grandfather's someplace. I know I had it, but haven't seen it
in years. I remember him using it and letting me use it when I was "helping" him as
a little kid.

Mine is in whichever time warp my spare saddle square disappeared into;
you know, the saddle square that also never left the shop ...

Yep, even looked in the dryer ... ya never know.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 28, 2016 at 3:48:00 PM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
On 11/27/2016 6:35 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I may still have my grandfather's someplace. I know I had it, but haven't seen it
in years. I remember him using it and letting me use it when I was "helping" him as
a little kid.

Mine is in whichever time warp my spare saddle square disappeared into;
you know, the saddle square that also never left the shop ...

Yep, even looked in the dryer ... ya never know.

It's right next to the missing sock(s).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 13:01:42 -0800, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's right next to the missing sock(s).

Well, probably not: socks are the larval form of clothes hangers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 02:56:56 -0000 (UTC), Colin Campbell
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 13:01:42 -0800, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's right next to the missing sock(s).

Well, probably not: socks are the larval form of clothes hangers.

That may have been true before wire coat hangers went extinct. We seem
to have a constant shortage of coat hangers, even though SWMBO buys
them by the bushel.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 13:01:42 -0800, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's right next to the missing sock(s).

Well, probably not: socks are the larval form of clothes hangers.

That may have been true before wire coat hangers went extinct. We seem
to have a constant shortage of coat hangers, even though SWMBO buys
them by the bushel.

Come to Texas, there are an abundant amount of wire coat hangers. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:0-SdndCtpPpsN6LFnZ2dnUU7-
:

Come to Texas, there are an abundant amount of wire coat hangers. LOL

Why do you have so many wire coat hangers? Were you planning to "rescue"
"stranded" cars in local parking lots? :-)

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2016 12:20 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:0-SdndCtpPpsN6LFnZ2dnUU7-
:

Come to Texas, there are an abundant amount of wire coat hangers. LOL

Why do you have so many wire coat hangers? Were you planning to "rescue"
"stranded" cars in local parking lots? :-)

Puckdropper

The cleaners return clothing on wire coat hangers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 07:59:48 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 12/1/2016 12:20 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:0-SdndCtpPpsN6LFnZ2dnUU7-
:

Come to Texas, there are an abundant amount of wire coat hangers. LOL

Why do you have so many wire coat hangers? Were you planning to "rescue"
"stranded" cars in local parking lots? :-)

Puckdropper

The cleaners return clothing on wire coat hangers.

Then Texas is the refuge of the endangered species of "cleaners"? I
don't think we've used a "cleaners" for twenty years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2016 8:50 AM, krw wrote:
On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 07:59:48 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 12/1/2016 12:20 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:0-SdndCtpPpsN6LFnZ2dnUU7-
:

Come to Texas, there are an abundant amount of wire coat hangers. LOL

Why do you have so many wire coat hangers? Were you planning to "rescue"
"stranded" cars in local parking lots? :-)

Puckdropper

The cleaners return clothing on wire coat hangers.

Then Texas is the refuge of the endangered species of "cleaners"? I
don't think we've used a "cleaners" for twenty years.

You clean your own suits? Where do you live?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2016 8:50 AM, krw wrote:
On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 07:59:48 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 12/1/2016 12:20 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:0-SdndCtpPpsN6LFnZ2dnUU7-
:

Come to Texas, there are an abundant amount of wire coat hangers. LOL

Why do you have so many wire coat hangers? Were you planning to "rescue"
"stranded" cars in local parking lots? :-)

Puckdropper

The cleaners return clothing on wire coat hangers.

Then Texas is the refuge of the endangered species of "cleaners"? I
don't think we've used a "cleaners" for twenty years.

You clean your own suits? Where do you live?

What's a suit?

LOL.... Thank goodness those days are way behind me but not totally gone.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2016 8:50 AM, krw wrote:
On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 07:59:48 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 12/1/2016 12:20 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:0-SdndCtpPpsN6LFnZ2dnUU7-
:

Come to Texas, there are an abundant amount of wire coat hangers. LOL

Why do you have so many wire coat hangers? Were you planning to "rescue"
"stranded" cars in local parking lots? :-)

Puckdropper

The cleaners return clothing on wire coat hangers.

Then Texas is the refuge of the endangered species of "cleaners"? I
don't think we've used a "cleaners" for twenty years.

You clean your own suits? Where do you live?

What's a suit?

LOL.... Thank goodness those days are way behind me but not totally gone.

Last time I bought a suit was in 1983 (three-piece, powder blue (puke)).

Now a simple sport jacket & slacks suffice, once a year for the company
christmas party and for the infrequent funeral. For the opera[*], white shirt
and black jeans with a leather jacket.
[*] The Barber of Seville last Sunday - they were aiming at boomers, during
the overture they had dancing carrots on the house curtain and Figaro (the Barber)
carried a bouquet of carrots during the final bows for those whose
introduction to Rossini's opera was _Rabbit of Seville_ (1950).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 01 Dec 2016 09:15:41 -0600, Leon wrote:

You clean your own suits? Where do you live?

What's a suit?

LOL.... Thank goodness those days are way behind me but not totally
gone.

I have good jeans, work jeans, and painting jeans - same for sneakers. I
have T and polo shirts for summer, flannel shirts for winter, and a few
long sleeve cotton shirts for in between. I have heavy socks and light
socks. That's my wardrobe, except for various coats and sweaters. There
are some advantages to being an old fart :-).

--
What if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2016 12:31 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I have good jeans, work jeans, and painting jeans - same for sneakers. I
have T and polo shirts for summer, flannel shirts for winter, and a few
long sleeve cotton shirts for in between. I have heavy socks and light
socks. That's my wardrobe, except for various coats and sweaters. There
are some advantages to being an old fart :-).

I have 14 (count'em) Duluth long tail, pocket "T's", all the same color;
4 pair of Savoy cargo shorts from Sam's, all the same color; 2 pair of
"Faded Glory" jeans from WalMart, all the same color, but two sizes, for
gumbo season.

Definitely a theme going ...

For formal wear/dress up: I have 2 Duluth pullover polo's with pockets
and collars; two different colors ... ruins my theme, but what the hell.

Also have 1 (one, count'em) Hawaiian style shirt bought at the outlet
mall, identical to one Leon has, for when we go out to eat with him and
Kim ... that ways we can look like a band on break.

Groupies, you never know ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2016 1:31 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 01 Dec 2016 09:15:41 -0600, Leon wrote:

You clean your own suits? Where do you live?

What's a suit?

LOL.... Thank goodness those days are way behind me but not totally
gone.

I have good jeans, work jeans, and painting jeans - same for sneakers. I
have T and polo shirts for summer, flannel shirts for winter, and a few
long sleeve cotton shirts for in between. I have heavy socks and light
socks. That's my wardrobe, except for various coats and sweaters. There
are some advantages to being an old fart :-).

Jeans... used to call them Dungarees... now we polished the term to Jeans.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2016 8:50 AM, krw wrote:
On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 07:59:48 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 12/1/2016 12:20 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:0-SdndCtpPpsN6LFnZ2dnUU7-
:

Come to Texas, there are an abundant amount of wire coat hangers. LOL

Why do you have so many wire coat hangers? Were you planning to "rescue"
"stranded" cars in local parking lots? :-)

Puckdropper

The cleaners return clothing on wire coat hangers.

Then Texas is the refuge of the endangered species of "cleaners"? I
don't think we've used a "cleaners" for twenty years.

You clean your own suits? Where do you live?

What's a suit?

LOL.... Thank goodness those days are way behind me but not totally gone.

Last time I bought a suit was in 1983 (three-piece, powder blue (puke)).

Leisure Suit?!!!!! LOL.... I somehow got through that period with
having to buy one of those.

Now a simple sport jacket & slacks suffice, once a year for the company
christmas party and for the infrequent funeral. For the opera[*], white shirt
and black jeans with a leather jacket.

[*] The Barber of Seville last Sunday - they were aiming at boomers, during
the overture they had dancing carrots on the house curtain and Figaro (the Barber)
carried a bouquet of carrots during the final bows for those whose
introduction to Rossini's opera was _Rabbit of Seville_ (1950).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 13:50:42 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 12/1/2016 12:31 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I have good jeans, work jeans, and painting jeans - same for sneakers. I
have T and polo shirts for summer, flannel shirts for winter, and a few
long sleeve cotton shirts for in between. I have heavy socks and light
socks. That's my wardrobe, except for various coats and sweaters. There
are some advantages to being an old fart :-).

I have 14 (count'em) Duluth long tail, pocket "T's", all the same color;
4 pair of Savoy cargo shorts from Sam's, all the same color; 2 pair of
"Faded Glory" jeans from WalMart, all the same color, but two sizes, for
gumbo season.

Definitely a theme going ...

For formal wear/dress up: I have 2 Duluth pullover polo's with pockets
and collars; two different colors ... ruins my theme, but what the hell.

Other than my gym gear, I don't own a shirt without long sleeves and a
collar. I think I have two or three pair of Dockers and all the rest
of my pants are jeans. I usually wear a dress shirt and jeans to
work. Come to think of it, I usually wear a dress shirt and jeans on
the weekend, too. ;-) In "colder" weather (Georgia doesn't have
"cold") I may wear a flannel shirt.

Also have 1 (one, count'em) Hawaiian style shirt bought at the outlet
mall, identical to one Leon has, for when we go out to eat with him and
Kim ... that ways we can look like a band on break.

Groupies, you never know ...

What does SWMBO think about your groupies?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2016 8:50 AM, krw wrote:
[...]

Without? My FIL wore polyester leisure suits. I always laughed at
him/them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2016 10:07 AM, Leon wrote:

The cleaners return clothing on wire coat hangers.

Then Texas is the refuge of the endangered species of "cleaners"? I
don't think we've used a "cleaners" for twenty years.

You clean your own suits? Where do you live?

Suits? I've not worn one in 27 years. I do wear a blazer once or twice
a year.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2016 10:14 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

You clean your own suits? Where do you live?

What's a suit?

You get four of them in a deck of cards.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2016 2:50 PM, Swingman wrote:

I have 14 (count'em) Duluth long tail, pocket "T's", all the same color;
4 pair of Savoy cargo shorts from Sam's, all the same color; 2 pair of
"Faded Glory" jeans from WalMart, all the same color, but two sizes, for
gumbo season.

Definitely a theme going ...

If you wear a different color shirt the neighbors will call the police
about a stranger loitering in the area.

My wardrobe has four colors.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 01 Dec 2016 16:57:27 -0600, Leon wrote:

Leisure Suit?!!!!! LOL.... I somehow got through that period with
having to buy one of those.

I knew a guy who loved them - he was on the road a lot (computer
consultant type) and claimed he could get in the shower with the suit
still on, take it off after it was thoroughly wet, and hang it up after
he'd finished his shower. Never had to get a suit dry cleaned :-).

--
What if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 19:02:30 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/1/2016 10:14 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

You clean your own suits? Where do you live?

What's a suit?

You get four of them in a deck of cards.

Something worn on the beach? Something you're served?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 19:00:33 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/1/2016 10:07 AM, Leon wrote:

The cleaners return clothing on wire coat hangers.

Then Texas is the refuge of the endangered species of "cleaners"? I
don't think we've used a "cleaners" for twenty years.

You clean your own suits? Where do you live?

Suits? I've not worn one in 27 years. I do wear a blazer once or twice
a year.

I wore one to my mother's funeral (~7 years ago) and to my last job
interview (~5 years). I donated it because it no longer fits - zero
chance of wearing it again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2016 8:50 AM, krw wrote:
[...]

YES! With OUT.

small spiral-ratchet (Yankee-type) screwdriver John Stumbles UK diy 20 May 28th 08 01:16 AM
Yankee spiral push screwdriver eganders Woodworking 9 November 11th 07 04:01 AM
new yankee workshop RayV Woodworking 0 October 26th 06 03:55 PM
New Yankee Wishshop Rich Woodworking 68 April 27th 06 04:32 PM
Screwdriver bit holder for Stanley Yankee am Woodworking 3 February 26th 05 09:54 PM