Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Yankee Screwdriver

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
eb.com...
Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 11/27/2016 3:37 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I think I'd like a Yankee Screwdriver. I think I came across one in
high school once, and it really quickly put a hole in a piece of wood
that was better left unpunctured.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what to look for, brand, etc?

Puckdropper

Why? I have one but have not used it in over 35 years. The cordless
drill made it obsolete. Faster, easier, more versatile, IMO.

First is the cool factor, and the second is it's an "alcohol powered
tool" as Roy would call it. I have a tool bag in the van that I take to
my relative's because I'm the handyman. A battery powered drill requires
charging and space, and I'd rather not mess with either. For shooting in
a couple screws, I think the Yankee Screwdriver would be just the thing.

My thought as well. Besides it falls within my personal safety rule. Never
turn on a power tool after I have had a drink.

Cordless drill. Nope.
Lathe. Nope.
Welder. Nope.
Tractor. Nope.

Yankee Screw Driver !!!! Hey bubba hold my beer and watch this.

I've got an old Craftsman yankee screw driver sitting on my never ending
projects bench right now. It has the same proprietary bit issue as many
others. Worse I've managed to misplace all the bits. I could buys some. I
see them on Ebay. But... my plan is to make my own adapter for it to use
hex bits. I've actually already made a couple. They are just waiting on me
to finish my broach holder / lathe cross drill before I epoxy in the magnet.
Might also cut the shank on a straight shank drill chuck or a pin drill (or
both) to fit it. Then I'll be able to use it as a push drill for bit sizes
not readily available with hex shanks.

Go find one at a gar(b)age sale that somebody else has lost all the bits for
and you are good to go. LOL.