Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Trimming the corners

I'm working on building a gate, and cutting mortises for the slats with a
1/2" bit in the router. The slats are also 1/2".

If I trim the corners using my trusty pocket knife, I tend to get a shallow
cut at the top and a deeper cut at the bottom. Using the router (a
router/shaper really) seemed to do the rounding job quite well, but left a
lot of fuzz behind.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use to trim the corners?

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

I'm working on building a gate, and cutting mortises for the slats
with a
1/2" bit in the router. The slats are also 1/2".

If I trim the corners using my trusty pocket knife, I tend to get a
shallow
cut at the top and a deeper cut at the bottom. Using the router (a
router/shaper really) seemed to do the rounding job quite well, but
left a
lot of fuzz behind.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use to trim the
corners?

Why push on a rope?

Use a 10" flat ******* file and break the corners on the tenons?

You won't significantly reduce the glue surface area, and life will
get a whole lot simpler.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:myUam.1036$646.733
@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

"Puckdropper" wrote:

I'm working on building a gate, and cutting mortises for the slats
with a
1/2" bit in the router. The slats are also 1/2".

If I trim the corners using my trusty pocket knife, I tend to get a
shallow
cut at the top and a deeper cut at the bottom. Using the router (a
router/shaper really) seemed to do the rounding job quite well, but
left a
lot of fuzz behind.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use to trim the
corners?

Why push on a rope?

Use a 10" flat ******* file and break the corners on the tenons?

You won't significantly reduce the glue surface area, and life will
get a whole lot simpler.

Lew

It sure will! I knew I had the wrong tool for the job, it was just
taking too much effort.

I'll get the file out, trim the corners and be off and running.

Thanks!

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
I'm working on building a gate, and cutting mortises for the slats with a
1/2" bit in the router. The slats are also 1/2".

If I trim the corners using my trusty pocket knife, I tend to get a
shallow
cut at the top and a deeper cut at the bottom. Using the router (a
router/shaper really) seemed to do the rounding job quite well, but left a
lot of fuzz behind.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use to trim the corners?

Finish Sander?

Question about rigid inside drywall corners and plain tape corners Eigenvector Home Repair 1 December 25th 06 10:18 AM
Trimming Doors John UK diy 11 July 7th 06 12:37 PM
Trimming trees Hal Home Repair 5 April 29th 06 11:44 PM
Bosch miter finder, outside corners vs inside corners Perry Templeton Woodworking 1 January 13th 06 04:44 AM
Trimming door Stephen UK diy 4 December 23rd 05 10:54 AM