DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Trimming the corners (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/283117-trimming-corners.html)

Puckdropper[_2_] July 26th 09 09:09 AM

Trimming the corners

I'm working on building a gate, and cutting mortises for the slats with a
1/2" bit in the router. The slats are also 1/2".

If I trim the corners using my trusty pocket knife, I tend to get a shallow
cut at the top and a deeper cut at the bottom. Using the router (a
router/shaper really) seemed to do the rounding job quite well, but left a
lot of fuzz behind.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use to trim the corners?

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett[_5_] July 26th 09 09:34 AM

Trimming the corners

"Puckdropper" wrote:

I'm working on building a gate, and cutting mortises for the slats
with a
1/2" bit in the router. The slats are also 1/2".

If I trim the corners using my trusty pocket knife, I tend to get a
shallow
cut at the top and a deeper cut at the bottom. Using the router (a
router/shaper really) seemed to do the rounding job quite well, but
left a
lot of fuzz behind.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use to trim the
corners?

Why push on a rope?

Use a 10" flat ******* file and break the corners on the tenons?

You won't significantly reduce the glue surface area, and life will
get a whole lot simpler.

Lew

Puckdropper[_2_] July 26th 09 01:02 PM

Trimming the corners

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:myUam.1036$646.733
@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

"Puckdropper" wrote:

I'm working on building a gate, and cutting mortises for the slats
with a
1/2" bit in the router. The slats are also 1/2".

If I trim the corners using my trusty pocket knife, I tend to get a
shallow
cut at the top and a deeper cut at the bottom. Using the router (a
router/shaper really) seemed to do the rounding job quite well, but
left a
lot of fuzz behind.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use to trim the
corners?

Why push on a rope?

Use a 10" flat ******* file and break the corners on the tenons?

You won't significantly reduce the glue surface area, and life will
get a whole lot simpler.

Lew

It sure will! I knew I had the wrong tool for the job, it was just
taking too much effort.

I'll get the file out, trim the corners and be off and running.

Thanks!

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking