Roy Underhill injured again.

Old September 19th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Roy Underhill injured again.

If anyone has not watched Roy Underhill, they should. I find it amazing
see what can be done with just a hatchet and chisel. He does things
with simple tools, that we think we need equipment costing hundreds of
dollars to do.

I have been a fan of Roy's since I watched him go out in the woods, find
the right tree, cut it down, and then, when it is in the shop, split two
2X 12 from the log using a wedges. He used the planks to make the
carving horse he uses in his current shows.

We forget in this "safe at any cost" society what it was like to do
simple jobs 100 years ago. I believe anyone using those tools and
techniques that would also be a walking advertisement for Johnson and
Johnson. Have you ever watched a blacksmith working around a forge?

Ed Walsh wrote:
Now here's a very scary thought. Imagine for a minute, Roy Underhill, in a
modern day woodworking shop full of power tools. They would have to
dedicate an entire emergency room staffed with surgeons and lots and lots of
blood on hand for transfusions.

"Tom" wrote in message
m...

I was watching his show this Sunday and saw where he had about 12 stitches
in his right index finger. He was showing how to make male and female wood
threads.

Old September 19th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom" wrote in message
m...
I was watching his show this Sunday and saw where he had about 12 stitches
in his right index finger. He was showing how to make male and female wood
threads.

They guy needs a neander version of Saw Stop

Old September 19th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:36:20 -0700, "Teamcasa"
wrote:

I recently switched to Dish Network, is Roy's show on there? I have not
found it.

Not on any DishNetwork stations per se. It's a PBS program and not all
PBS stations carry it. If you're eligible to get the PBS National Feed
(hard to do with so many local channel markets now available), it's on
there. Otherwise, you'll have to get the local channel package for
your area and hope the local PBS operator carries it. I get three PBS
stations in my local package, and only one carries Roy.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Old September 19th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.woodworking
bf

keith_nuttle wrote:

We forget in this "safe at any cost" society what it was like to do
simple jobs 100 years ago. I believe anyone using those tools and
techniques that would also be a walking advertisement for Johnson and
Johnson. Have you ever watched a blacksmith working around a forge?

The guy is amazing. Great talent. I think a lot of his injuries occur
because he's trying to do things fast for the TV. He's also narrating
what he does, which is quite distracting.
But yes, it's reality TV at it's best.

My guess is that he has a lot fewer accidents when he's doing work at
his own pace and off camera.

Old September 19th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"bf" wrote in message

The guy is amazing. Great talent. I think a lot of his injuries occur
because he's trying to do things fast for the TV. He's also narrating
what he does, which is quite distracting.
But yes, it's reality TV at it's best.

"Real" reality TV will occur when they actually show one of his injuries
happening.

Old September 19th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote in
:

wrote:

I recently switched to Dish Network, is Roy's show on there? I have not
found it.

Not on any DishNetwork stations per se. It's a PBS program and not all
PBS stations carry it. If you're eligible to get the PBS National Feed
(hard to do with so many local channel markets now available), it's on
there. Otherwise, you'll have to get the local channel package for
your area and hope the local PBS operator carries it. I get three PBS
stations in my local package, and only one carries Roy.

On the SF Bay DirecTV package, there are a lot more PBS stations. Only one
has Roy right now, and the series is from 2005. Maybe that will change
soon.

Beats the heck out of cable, though.

Patriarch

Old September 20th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"Jesse R Strawbridge" wrote in message

"Real" reality TV will occur when they actually show one of his injuries
happening.

They have.

Obviously, not by me. His shows aren't available in my area.

Old September 20th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Look into digital TV. By 2009 regular TV will not be broadcast any more so
the conversion is in progress. With digital broadcast often PBS will have 3
sub channels of broadcast.

You can get cards to plug into your PC and hook up your antenna and watch
the digital TV on your PC.

I think it will be great when everything is switched over, I live in a deep
fringe area and I get fuzzy reception with regular TV and with digital it
has a "cliff" effect, if you can get any signal it will be clear. Yahoo no
cable, no dish and best of all no monthly bill.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 136...
LRod wrote in
:

Old September 20th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:

It's a PBS program and not all
PBS stations carry it.

Well shiite. I get NYC and Philadelphia PBS stations (and Trenton, NJ,
for that matter). None of them carries this show, and those are two
big-market areas.

Mark