Posted to rec.woodworking
keith_nuttle keith_nuttle is offline

Default Roy Underhill injured again.

If anyone has not watched Roy Underhill, they should. I find it amazing
see what can be done with just a hatchet and chisel. He does things
with simple tools, that we think we need equipment costing hundreds of
dollars to do.

I have been a fan of Roy's since I watched him go out in the woods, find
the right tree, cut it down, and then, when it is in the shop, split two
2X 12 from the log using a wedges. He used the planks to make the
carving horse he uses in his current shows.

We forget in this "safe at any cost" society what it was like to do
simple jobs 100 years ago. I believe anyone using those tools and
techniques that would also be a walking advertisement for Johnson and
Johnson. Have you ever watched a blacksmith working around a forge?

Ed Walsh wrote:
Now here's a very scary thought. Imagine for a minute, Roy Underhill, in a
modern day woodworking shop full of power tools. They would have to
dedicate an entire emergency room staffed with surgeons and lots and lots of
blood on hand for transfusions.

"Tom" wrote in message
m...

I was watching his show this Sunday and saw where he had about 12 stitches
in his right index finger. He was showing how to make male and female wood
threads.