Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeMac

Default Bandsaw Problems

I'm hoping someone might have some advice.

I recently purchased a Ridgid Bandsaw, and am experiencing problems with the
rubber strips on the wheels. After installing a 1/2 blade for some minor
resawing, when applying proper tension, (according to the scale on the back)
the rubber bands track off the wheel, and jam against the frame.

I'm wondering if they need replacement? (they have less than 1/2 hr use) or
if maybe the scale is reading wrong? (Too much tension?)

Thanks.
Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"MikeMac" wrote in message
I'm hoping someone might have some advice.

I recently purchased a Ridgid Bandsaw, and am experiencing problems with

the
rubber strips on the wheels. After installing a 1/2 blade for some minor
resawing, when applying proper tension, (according to the scale on the

back)
the rubber bands track off the wheel, and jam against the frame.

I'm wondering if they need replacement? (they have less than 1/2 hr use)

or
if maybe the scale is reading wrong? (Too much tension?)

Sight unseen it's just a guess, but it sure sounds like the wrong size tires
for the band saw wheels. In any event, tension should not cause this and it
warrants a call to customer/warranty service.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
WConner

when applying proper tension, (according to the scale on the back)
the rubber bands track off the wheel, and jam against the frame.

Sounds like a made in China deal.

Walt Conner

Posted to rec.woodworking
Layne

Hi,

In addition to what the others have said DO NOT trust the tension
scale on ANY bandsaw. The spring wears over time, blades are different
from manufacturer to manufacturer and model to model, etc. etc.

Iturra Designs (1-888-722-7078) sells several blade tension meters.
Getting one is a good investment. They're also working on an
inexpensive tension meter that most of us can afford. Don't know if
they've come out with it yet.

Aside from using a tension meter I've been using the "pluck" method.
But, instead of listening for a particular musical "note" I listen for
a certain quality of the sound. First I clear the guides, then I turn
the tension knob while plucking the blade till I hear it go from a
loose "twang" to a nice tight "ping". Then I tighten the knob about a
half turn. This gets it pretty close. This method works best for low
tension blades like Timberwolf and not so good for high tension baldes
like Lennox.

The flutter method is useless in my opinion. It's just as good as
using the tension scale.

Hope this helps,

Layne

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 06:57:52 -0500, "MikeMac"
wrote:

I'm hoping someone might have some advice.

I recently purchased a Ridgid Bandsaw, and am experiencing problems with the
rubber strips on the wheels. After installing a 1/2 blade for some minor
resawing, when applying proper tension, (according to the scale on the back)
the rubber bands track off the wheel, and jam against the frame.

I'm wondering if they need replacement? (they have less than 1/2 hr use) or
if maybe the scale is reading wrong? (Too much tension?)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Woodhead

I'm wondering if the wheel is so out of allignment the the blade "roots" the
tires off? Turn the wheels by hand and make sure the blade is centered on
the tires. Something is sure screwed up. Jim
"MikeMac" wrote in message
I'm hoping someone might have some advice.

I recently purchased a Ridgid Bandsaw, and am experiencing problems with
the rubber strips on the wheels. After installing a 1/2 blade for some
minor resawing, when applying proper tension, (according to the scale on
the back) the rubber bands track off the wheel, and jam against the frame.

I'm wondering if they need replacement? (they have less than 1/2 hr use)
or if maybe the scale is reading wrong? (Too much tension?)

Thanks.
Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger