Senior Member

Default Garage Door motor

I have an Everest garage door at home.

It has stopped responding to the remote control or the wired switch.

Most likely the motor is fine, and it is just the board with the electronics that has failed.

The Everest engineer has seen the door and has told me that they replace the whole motor assembly, with two new remotes. At a cost of £1060, which seemed to me extremely high.

The door is small, about 2.10 m wide and 2 m tall.

I have seen at Hormann Automation similarly looking motors for a quarter of that price.

I am willing to purchase one and install it myself.

Is this easy to do?

What is the best brand?

Are they all the same system?

I can post a picture here. As far as I can see, my motor has a belt like the ones in the pictures (Hormann motors, show it more clearly)

Thanks,

Antonio
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, October 4, 2014 5:09:27 PM UTC+1, asalcedo wrote:

I have an Everest garage door at home.
It has stopped responding to the remote control or the wired switch.

The Everest engineer has seen the door and has told me that they replace
the whole motor assembly, with two new remotes. At a cost of £1060,
which seemed to me extremely high.

just a bit. A backstreet electronic repairer should be able to sort it for far less than 250, let alone 1060.

(http://www.thegaragedoorking.co.uk/a...nn_Motors.html)
similarly looking motors for a quarter of that price.
I am willing to purchase one and install it myself.
Is this easy to do?

For you? who knows

What is the best brand?
Are they all the same system?

No

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"asalcedo" wrote in message

[...]

No one can say for sure.
But there are plenty of complete retro fit garage door openers out there for
a lot less than that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2014 18:07, harryagain wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Such as this for example:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/garador-eu...r-opener/45419
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What the Everest man really means is:

"Everest can't be bothered to stock many spares so they only stock major
units. We also can't be arsed to train our fitters to change small parts.
Anyway, we can tell our customers that it is better to have a completely
new unit as you never know when something else might fail."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Oct 2014 18:09:27 +0200, asalcedo wrote:

It has stopped responding to the remote control or the wired switch.

Fuse? Check any on the unit as well. Any little lilghts that should
be on or blink as the remotes or wired switch are operated?

The Everest engineer has seen the door and has told me that they replace
the whole motor assembly, with two new remotes. At a cost of £1060,
which seemed to me extremely high.

What a total waste of resources, assuming that they go to the dump. I
rather expect them to go back, get repaired and be sold again "new"
units.

I also expect you got the door installed with a whacking great
"discount" provided you signed up there and then.

At £1060 I'd be having the covers of and fixing it myself. If it's
just "dead" I'd be looking at power supplies first and establishing
it has what it needs to live.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Oct 2014 08:07:47 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

What the Everest man really means is:

"Everest can't be bothered to stock many spares so they only stock major
units. ...

Having a stock of parts across the country or a mechanisium to get
them where required in a timely manner costs money. Haveing a repair
depot with all the parts required and a handful of "skilled"
repairers so that refurbs can be sold as new is another matter,

We also can't be arsed to train our fitters to change small parts.

Yep, anything above normal installation proceedures will add costs.

Anyway, we can tell our customers that it is better to have a completely
new unit as you never know when something else might fail."

If I get told that it reduces any faith I had in the kit to almost
zero and opinion of the company changes to "will not recomend".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Liquorice[_2_] View Post
[...]

The fuse is fine. The leds seem to be fine.

No apparent faults or burnt signs.

The unit was working perfectly well, next day, when I operated it (nobody else did before me), it just stopped responding, with no noise or abnormal sign.

I am going to try to install a new motor myself.

Does anybody have an opinion about which brand I should purchase?

Thanks,

Antonio
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , asalcedo.e773288
@diybanter.com says...

The fuse is fine. The leds seem to be fine.

No apparent faults or burnt signs.

The unit was working perfectly well, next day, when I operated it
(nobody else did before me), it just stopped responding, with no noise
or abnormal sign.

I am going to try to install a new motor myself.

Does anybody have an opinion about which brand I should purchase?

Thanks,

Antonio

Check there isn't an anti-theft interlock first. The door I
have has a pawl that drops into a hole if someone tries to
force the roller door up manually, thereby stopping further
movement of the mechanism, including by the motor. It can be
released using a separate non-obvious mechanism to lift the
pawl, allowing the motor to run as normal.

The motor drive fuse doesn't blow because it's stopped by the
same mechanism that detects an obstruction when operated
normally.

--
John W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 5, 2014 5:36:52 PM UTC+1, asalcedo wrote:
'Dave Liquorice[_2_ Wrote:
;3292336']On Sat, 4 Oct 2014 18:09:27 +0200, asalcedo wrote:
-
It has stopped responding to the remote control or the wired switch.-

The fuse is fine. The leds seem to be fine.
No apparent faults or burnt signs.
The unit was working perfectly well, next day, when I operated it
(nobody else did before me), it just stopped responding, with no noise
or abnormal sign.
I am going to try to install a new motor myself.
Does anybody have an opinion about which brand I should purchase?
Thanks,
Antonio

Would it not be sensible to diagnose the problem first?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

'Dave Liquorice[_2_ Wrote:-
;3292336']On Sat, 4 Oct 2014 18:09:27 +0200, asalcedo wrote:

It has stopped responding to the remote control or the wired
switch.---

Would it not be sensible to diagnose the problem first?

if voltage appears across motor, guess at buggered carbon brushes
if voltage does not and fuse OK, guess at stuck relay/burnt
electronics.

No voltage detected at the motor, fuse OK. Something else is the
problem, likely the electronics, and I can't get a spare part
replacement from Everest.
I have ordered the Marantec Comfort 260, 'Marantec Comfort 220.2
Automation Electric Motors' (
http://tinyurl.com/mt3d6ju)
The supplier says it should take me no more than two hours to install
it.

Its been years since I looked inside one. The wired controls don't require electronics, just basic switching: a transformer so it switches at lv plus relays. If the fault is in that lot it should be simple to find & fix, though too late now.

NT
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
'Dave Liquorice[_2_ Wrote:-
[...]

I went overseas and in the end I did not install the new motor.

I am now trying to fix the old one.

I have confirmed that the transformer works fine, it outputs 24V

The motor vibrates when I apply 24V to it, but the pinion is locked, it does not turn (probably it is by design to lock the garage door)

Consequently, I believe it is the circuit board that has failed. It does not send signal to the motor.

Is this something that can be fixed? Should I send it somewhere for repair? If so, where?

Also, am I right in assuming that the pinion is locked by design? If so, does the circuit board send it some kind of signal to unlock it?
Attached Thumbnails
Garage Door motor-garage-door3s-jpg  Garage Door motor-garage-door2s-jpg  Garage Door motor-garage-door1s-jpg

Last edited by asalcedo : January 1st 15 at 01:26 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalcedo View Post
I went overseas and in the end I did not install the new motor.

I am now trying to fix the old one.

I have confirmed that the transformer works fine, it outputs 24V

The motor vibrates when I apply 24V to it, but the pinion is locked, it does not turn (probably it is by design to lock the garage door)

Consequently, I believe it is the circuit board that has failed. It does not send signal to the motor.

Is this something that can be fixed? Should I send it somewhere for repair? If so, where?

Also, am I right in assuming that the pinion is locked by design? If so, does the circuit board send it some kind of signal to unlock it?
Is this thread alive?

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalcedo View Post