Posted to alt.home.repair

Default garage door lift cable loosens as door reaches fully open height

One of my garage door tension springs broke and I replaced both springs
with a set that had previously been used in a friend's garage for only 5
years. We installed, them, wound them so that the door was balanced, but
then when raising the door by hand to check it's operation manually, one
of the lift cables loosens as the door reaches the full open height.
However the other lift cable remains tight and working properly? We've
tried adjusting the tension in the spring on that side of the door to no
avail? Can you tell me what might be causing this lift cable to loosen as
the door reaches full open height so we can fix it? I will call a
professional at last resort, but we've handled everything other than this
lift cable staying tight issue so far and would like to finish the job?
Thanks, Jeff

-------------------------------------
St Louis Cardinals are the best

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 11:51*am, (Jeff
Heuer) wrote:
One of my garage door tension springs broke and I replaced both springs
with a set that had previously been used in a friend's garage for only 5
years. *We installed, them, wound them so that the door was balanced, but
then when raising the door by hand to check it's operation manually, one
of the lift cables loosens as the door reaches the full open height.
However the other lift cable remains tight and working properly? *We've
tried adjusting the tension in the spring on that side of the door to no
avail? *Can you tell me what might be causing this lift cable to loosen as
the door reaches full open height so we can fix it? *I will call a
professional at last resort, but we've handled everything other than this
lift cable staying tight issue so far and would like to finish the job?

There are two types of door spring systems. It would help if you
mentioned which type you have.

I have to assume that you have the type with the two springs on a bar
directly above the door opening.

The cables are not winding on the spools evenly. They should wrap a
single layer of cable on each spool. If you look, you will probably
notice that one spool has the cable wrapping on itself. This causes
the effective diameter of that spool to be larger, and to wind up
cable faster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jul 22, 11:51 am, (Jeff
Heuer) wrote:

[...]

You may well be correct about that, even though the OP did say "tension
springs", not "torsion springs".....

But he also said "wound them"...

If they are tension springs then one of them may have "softened" or
stretched more than the other. Or, the friend's garage door may have had
a different weight than his and used different strength springs.

The first time I replaced the pair of tension springs on one of my
garage doors I used a bathroom scale with a simple wooden lever to
measure the weight of the door sans spring assist to determine what
strength springs to buy. (Some springs are color coded re strength but
my old ones weren't.)

I won't bet either way, though if they are in fact torsion springs the
OP might want to spend a evening or two reading Richard Kinch's epic
monolog about the subject:

http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

The cables are not winding on the spools evenly. They should wrap a
single layer of cable on each spool. If you look, you will probably
notice that one spool has the cable wrapping on itself. This causes
the effective diameter of that spool to be larger, and to wind up
cable faster.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:

wrote:
On Jul 22, 11:51 am, (Jeff
Heuer) wrote:

[...]

All of the torsion spring doors I have worked on used a solid shaft that
mount the springs and take-up pulleys. The pulleys turn in unison and
throwing slack at one end means unequal effective diameters ... unless
the OP has encountered a local variation in the value of pi.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bryce wrote:
jeff_wisnia wrote:

wrote:

On Jul 22, 11:51 am, (Jeff
Heuer) wrote:

[...]

Or maybe somebody replaced one of the cables with one which wasn't quite
the same diameter as the other.

The thinner cable would get slack even if it wound in a single layer on
the pully. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bryce" wrote in message

All of the torsion spring doors I have worked on used a solid shaft
that mount the springs and take-up pulleys. The pulleys turn in
unison and throwing slack at one end means unequal effective
diameters ... unless the OP has encountered a local variation in the
value of pi.

Omigosh, I'll have to keep track of that! Good catch! What's the most
accurate way to measure pi anyway? My protractors always give me
somewhere between 2.5 and 4.5 on my half-inch diameter circles! The
stupid center keeps moving around!

G ! :^}[

Posted to alt.home.repair

Twayne wrote:
"Bryce" wrote in message

All of the torsion spring doors I have worked on used a solid shaft
that mount the springs and take-up pulleys. The pulleys turn in
unison and throwing slack at one end means unequal effective
diameters ... unless the OP has encountered a local variation in the
value of pi.

Omigosh, I'll have to keep track of that! Good catch! What's the most
accurate way to measure pi anyway? My protractors always give me
somewhere between 2.5 and 4.5 on my half-inch diameter circles! The
stupid center keeps moving around!

G ! :^}[

Now, now, it's not polite to make fun of people.
We're not all rocket surgeons here.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at 8:51:37 AM UTC-7, Jeff Heuer wrote:
[...]

##----------------------------------------------

I need a hand with something. I have installed a new door, got everything set up as it should be, but for some damn reason when the door raises about halfway the cables want to come off the rollers. The cable winds perfectly on the roller until it just doesn't stay on, as if the cable is too stiff or somthing. This is stupid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/1/2018 7:21 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at 8:51:37 AM UTC-7, Jeff Heuer wrote:
One of my garage door tension springs broke and I replaced both springs
with a set that had previously been used in a friend's garage for only 5
years. We installed, them, wound them so that the door was balanced, but
then when raising the door by hand to check it's operation manually, one
of the lift cables loosens as the door reaches the full open height.

Count the cable turns on each pulley.
However the other lift cable remains tight and working properly? We've
tried adjusting the tension in the spring on that side of the door to no
avail? Can you tell me what might be causing this lift cable to loosen as
the door reaches full open height so we can fix it? I will call a
professional at last resort, but we've handled everything other than this
lift cable staying tight issue so far and would like to finish the job?
Thanks, Jeff

St Louis Cardinals are the best

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

I need a hand with something. I have installed a new door, got everything set up as it should be, but for some damn reason when the door raises about halfway the cables want to come off the rollers. The cable winds perfectly on the roller until it just doesn't stay on, as if the cable is too stiff or somthing. This is stupid.

If the springs are matched to the weight of the door, you need to tighten
the cables to the point that they are still in tension in the up position.
If the springs are not matched to the weight of the door,
you're gonna have to live with a compromise.