Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default D-I-Y Flood lighting

Any one any suggestions as to how or where we might obtain a few used
telegraph poles for the above project? United Utilities have not been
helpful
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

EBay?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2014 17:01, bert wrote:
Any one any suggestions as to how or where we might obtain a few used
telegraph poles for the above project? United Utilities have not been
helpful

If you only want a few, you might do better buying new. Used are cheaper
per pole, but not if you only want four and have to buy 50.

These people sell them new and used:

http://www.kilgraney.com/KFtelegraphpoles.htm

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Your local authority are a good source for old redundant lamp posts. Might be a better bet from the point of view of wiring up.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2014 17:01, bert wrote:
Any one any suggestions as to how or where we might obtain a few used
telegraph poles for the above project? United Utilities have not been
helpful

Depending on how many lights on top, of the pole would a scaffold pole
meet the requirement?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bert wrote:
Any one any suggestions as to how or where we might obtain a few used
telegraph poles for the above project? United Utilities have not been
helpful

If it's just for a normal light and it isn't too high, steel scaffold
poles are a possibility. Not for cameras though as the slight movement
in the wind is annoying. Alternatively small steel lamp posts can be
good. Builders' merchants have them. They have that useful little door
near the bottom.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bert" ] wrote in message
Any one any suggestions as to how or where we might obtain a few used
telegraph poles for the above project? United Utilities have not been
helpful
--

How high do you wish the floodlights to be?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2014 17:01, bert wrote:
Any one any suggestions as to how or where we might obtain a few used
telegraph poles for the above project? United Utilities have not been
helpful

Has anyone mentioned that the only reason wooden line poles are normally
replaced is because they are going rotten and aren't expected to last
through the next Winter? Concrete and steel ones aren't so bad, but may
not last much longer.

Or are time expired, which amounts to the same thing.

Old street lamps sound like a much better idea, especially if wiring
along the length is involved, as the only way to wire a telephone pole
from ground to top is to add either a channel or use wire clips at short
intervals.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan_m
writes
On 15/09/2014 17:01, bert wrote:
Any one any suggestions as to how or where we might obtain a few used
telegraph poles for the above project? United Utilities have not been
helpful

Depending on how many lights on top, of the pole would a scaffold pole
meet the requirement?

Possibly. No great weight involved - we're not lighting up a football
ground!! Thanks for that idea.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Williamson
writes
On 15/09/2014 17:01, bert wrote:
Any one any suggestions as to how or where we might obtain a few used
telegraph poles for the above project? United Utilities have not been
helpful

Has anyone mentioned that the only reason wooden line poles are
normally replaced is because they are going rotten and aren't expected
to last through the next Winter? Concrete and steel ones aren't so bad,
but may not last much longer.

Or are time expired, which amounts to the same thing.

Old street lamps sound like a much better idea, especially if wiring
along the length is involved, as the only way to wire a telephone pole
from ground to top is to add either a channel or use wire clips at
short intervals.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Will talk to the chap who
wants to set them up tomorrow. They're to illuminate a sheep dog
training ring so we can carry on training through the winter evenings.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 20:26:48 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

If it's just for a normal light and it isn't too high, steel scaffold
poles are a possibility. Not for cameras though as the slight movement
in the wind is annoying.

You reckon telephone poles don't move in the wind? Both the 11 kV
power pole and the telephone pole can be visibly seen moving in the
wind up here. I'd say the top of the telephone one moves a good 6",
maybe more.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote

On 15/09/2014 17:01, bert wrote:
Any one any suggestions as to how or where we might obtain a few used
telegraph poles for the above project? United Utilities have not been
helpful

Has anyone mentioned that the only reason wooden line poles are normally
replaced is because they are going rotten and aren't expected to last
through the next Winter? Concrete and steel ones aren't so bad, but may
not last much longer.

Or are time expired, which amounts to the same thing.

Old street lamps sound like a much better idea, especially if wiring
along the length is involved, as the only way to wire a telephone pole
from ground to top is to add either a channel or use wire clips at short
intervals.

Don't the utility companies saw them up to stop old poles being reused?
I know farmers had problems getting poles for 'pole barns' some years
ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , bert ]
writes

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Will talk to the chap who
wants to set them up tomorrow. They're to illuminate a sheep dog
training ring so we can carry on training through the winter evenings.

I would also go for scaffolding tube or if you have the money, proper
lampposts.

Telegraph poles need proper planting to be secure, you've seen the BIG
augers on the back of tractors, or BT/Openreach installation vehicles?
It's not just a case of digging a hole and dropping it in. They are
also blooming heavy!!
Lampposts are slightly easier, but still require a hole and a bit of
concrete. Also rather heavy.

Will you have machinery on site, or is it all to be done by hand?

Scaffold tube would be quick and easy, also more easily moved if you
wanted to re-arrange the layout. A very quick fix would be a length of
tube knocked into the ground, I use putlogs which are designed to go
into the gaps between bricks when building (so I am told, I have never
used them for that) A large sledge hammer is most useful here, and
someone who can swing it! The ones I use are about 5' long, 3' below
ground and 2' above.

http://www.semvuatrading.com/uploads...684_putlogtube
end.jpg

2 of these with a gap between them for your main pole and a pivot would
be simple enough. You could then pivot them down for maintenance. If
you were sure of the locations then possibly one short pole concreted
into the ground and a couple of swivel clamps.

I use them, with just one putlog, for temporary loudspeaker
installations on grass, but only with 3m poles and only for a week or so
at a time. They remain remarkably firm. i.e. "can be a bugger to pull
out at the end of an event!

Have you sorted out an electrician, a supply point and cable suitable
for the job too?

--
Bill
( A different one )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How yer gonna change the bulbs. Also, a guy down the road once put up a pole
like this and the council told him he had to take it down for two reasons,
one it was too tal, funny when about 2-0 feet away was a telegraph pole,
and 2 because there was light bleed to neighbouring premises.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"bert" ] wrote in message
Any one any suggestions as to how or where we might obtain a few used
telegraph poles for the above project? United Utilities have not been
helpful
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message sting.com,
Jabba writes
John Williamson wrote

On 15/09/2014 17:01, bert wrote:
[...]

IME they are sold locally by the operatives doing the work. Last ones
here were full length, price negotiable. Marconi Systems?

Not just rot. There is a minimum height where the cables cross the
highway which required a lot of extra poles 10 or so years back.

Routine maintenance seems to involve digging away soil at the pole base
and treating with some aggressive fungicide. I have an idea that the
electricity poles sometimes have *Boron* nails hammered in at ground
level.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 16 September 2014 08:48:46 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message sting.com,

Jabba writes

John Williamson wrote

On 15/09/2014 17:01, bert wrote:

[...]

I used this for mine, concreted into the ground

http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-29...ial-mast/32094
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes
In message , bert ]
writes

[...]

We're talking farmers here.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
How yer gonna change the bulbs.

Use tractor fork lift as cherry picker.
Also, a guy down the road once put up a pole
like this and the council told him he had to take it down for two reasons,
one it was too tal, funny when about 2-0 feet away was a telegraph pole,
and 2 because there was light bleed to neighbouring premises.

Brian

Not a problem
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 4:03:38 PM UTC+1, bert wrote:
Have you sorted out an electrician, a supply point and cable suitable
for the job too?

We're talking farmers here.

You mean electric fence wire with some plastic water-pipe as insulators?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , bert ]
writes
In message , Bill
writes

Have you sorted out an electrician, a supply point and cable suitable
for the job too?

We're talking farmers here.

Oh dear..................................

--
Bill
( A different one )
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 21:25:16 +0100, bert ] wrote:

Depending on how many lights on top, of the pole would a scaffold pole
meet the requirement?

Possibly. No great weight involved - we're not lighting up a football
ground!! Thanks for that idea.

A single un-guyed scaffold pole will sway a bit in the wind, with a
light on top.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 21:25:16 +0100, bert ] wrote:

Depending on how many lights on top, of the pole would a scaffold pole
meet the requirement?

Possibly. No great weight involved - we're not lighting up a football
ground!! Thanks for that idea.

A single un-guyed scaffold pole will sway a bit in the wind, with a
light on top.

Not an issue. As long as we can see the sheep and the dog we are OK. But
we can always tie it with baler twine.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2014 13:37, bert wrote:
In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 21:25:16 +0100, bert ] wrote:

Depending on how many lights on top, of the pole would a scaffold pole
meet the requirement?

Possibly. No great weight involved - we're not lighting up a football
ground!! Thanks for that idea.

A single un-guyed scaffold pole will sway a bit in the wind, with a
light on top.

Not an issue. As long as we can see the sheep and the dog we are OK.

Night vision goggles will allow you to do that and, I am very reliably
informed, are also good for spotting poachers. Of course, you may need a
pair for the dog as well, if it has to see the sheep.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insert my surname writes
On 17/09/2014 13:37, bert wrote:
In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 21:25:16 +0100, bert ] wrote:

Depending on how many lights on top, of the pole would a scaffold pole
meet the requirement?

Possibly. No great weight involved - we're not lighting up a football
ground!! Thanks for that idea.

A single un-guyed scaffold pole will sway a bit in the wind, with a
light on top.

Not an issue. As long as we can see the sheep and the dog we are OK.

Night vision goggles will allow you to do that and, I am very reliably
informed, are also good for spotting poachers. Of course, you may need
a pair for the dog as well, if it has to see the sheep.

It would be helpful if the dog could see the sheep although we could get
round that by spraying them with fluorescent paint. Then we wouldn't
need the night vision goggles.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2014 20:50, bert wrote:
It would be helpful if the dog could see the sheep although we could get
round that by spraying them with fluorescent paint. Then we wouldn't
need the night vision goggles.

LED's, that's what you need. Skip the first minute:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6KXECVl3lc

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:11:25 +0100, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insert my
surname here wrote:

Night vision goggles will allow you to do that and, I am very reliably
informed, are also good for spotting poachers. Of course, you may need a
pair for the dog as well, if it has to see the sheep.

Paint the dog in luminous paint.
Or do this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbqWhSA3BVU#t=55
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2014 20:50, bert wrote:

It would be helpful if the dog could see the sheep although we could get
round that by spraying them with fluorescent paint. Then we wouldn't
need the night vision goggles.

Nature has provided the sheep with fat and a wick so if you set fire to
them they can be seen by the dogs for a long time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2014 06:57, alan_m wrote:

Nature has provided the sheep with fat and a wick so if you set fire to
them they can be seen by the dogs for a long time.

Surprisingly we do not often hear of spontaneous ovine combustion. In
fact, I don't remember a single case, though I am aware of burning
animals after a lightning strike, for example.

Is this a difference between ovines and humans?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote
alan_m wrote

Nature has provided the sheep with fat and a wick so if you
set fire to them they can be seen by the dogs for a long time.

Surprisingly we do not often hear of spontaneous ovine combustion.
In fact, I don't remember a single case, though I am aware of burning
animals after a lightning strike, for example.

Is this a difference between ovines and humans?

Nope, there never were any spontaneous human combustions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2014 07:32, polygonum wrote:
On 18/09/2014 06:57, alan_m wrote:

Nature has provided the sheep with fat and a wick so if you set fire to
them they can be seen by the dogs for a long time.

Surprisingly we do not often hear of spontaneous ovine combustion. In
fact, I don't remember a single case, though I am aware of burning
animals after a lightning strike, for example.

Is this a difference between ovines and humans?

Beagles might be more likely to suffer it given the normal means for
starting "spontaneous" human combustion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 21:19:22 +0100, John Williamson
wrote:

On 17/09/2014 20:50, bert wrote:
It would be helpful if the dog could see the sheep although we could get
round that by spraying them with fluorescent paint. Then we wouldn't
need the night vision goggles.

LED's, that's what you need. Skip the first minute:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6KXECVl3lc

It's worth watching the whole video. I've seen this one before but it
still brought a smile to my face (I'm not _quite_ that jaded yet).

The thought "Blade Runner" came to mind but I somehow don't think
this was what was in the mind of Philip K, Dick when he came up with
the title, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?".
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 17:08:54 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

polygonum wrote
alan_m wrote

Nature has provided the sheep with fat and a wick so if you
set fire to them they can be seen by the dogs for a long time.

Surprisingly we do not often hear of spontaneous ovine combustion.
In fact, I don't remember a single case, though I am aware of burning
animals after a lightning strike, for example.

Is this a difference between ovines and humans?

Nope, there never were any spontaneous human combustions.

"Spontaneous Combustion" was a misnomer in the first case. Nobody has
ever witnessed an actual case of "Spontaneous Combustion" in progress
from beginning to end (i.e. A person happily demonstrating the
attributes of a living entity suddenly and inexplicably going on fire
before being burnt to death by this mysterious affliction).

In every case of "Spontaneous Combustion", it has always proved to be
a post mortem process. The victim was already dead before becoming,
for whatever reason, a 'human candle'.
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 17/09/2014 20:50, bert wrote:
It would be helpful if the dog could see the sheep although we could get
round that by spraying them with fluorescent paint. Then we wouldn't
need the night vision goggles.

LED's, that's what you need. Skip the first minute:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6KXECVl3lc

It's worth watching the whole video. I've seen this one before but it
still brought a smile to my face (I'm not _quite_ that jaded yet).

It's a good video right enough, but I was recommending avoiding the
"This is Fred, he owns the sheep" "This is Joe, he owns the dog" and so
on bit.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

surname here wrote:

Night vision goggles will allow you to do that and, I am very reliably

informed, are also good for spotting poachers. Of course, you may need a

pair for the dog as well, if it has to see the sheep.

Paint the dog in luminous paint.

Or do this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbqWhSA3BVU#t=55

Few old VW blocks and the hillsides daylight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhY0xzKcPoE
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2014 17:04, Johny B Good wrote:
In every case of "Spontaneous Combustion", it has always proved to be
a post mortem process. The victim was already dead before becoming,
for whatever reason, a 'human candle'.

Or porcine in at least some attempts to demonstrate the post mortem
combustion.

--
Rod