Posted to uk.d-i-y
zaax[_2_] zaax[_2_] is offline

Default D-I-Y Flood lighting

On Tuesday, 16 September 2014 08:48:46 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message sting.com,

Jabba writes

John Williamson wrote

On 15/09/2014 17:01, bert wrote:

Any one any suggestions as to how or where we might obtain a few used

telegraph poles for the above project? United Utilities have not been

helpful

Has anyone mentioned that the only reason wooden line poles are normally

replaced is because they are going rotten and aren't expected to last

through the next Winter? Concrete and steel ones aren't so bad, but may

not last much longer.

Or are time expired, which amounts to the same thing.

Old street lamps sound like a much better idea, especially if wiring

along the length is involved, as the only way to wire a telephone pole

from ground to top is to add either a channel or use wire clips at short

intervals.

Don't the utility companies saw them up to stop old poles being reused?

I know farmers had problems getting poles for 'pole barns' some years

ago.

IME they are sold locally by the operatives doing the work. Last ones

here were full length, price negotiable. Marconi Systems?

Not just rot. There is a minimum height where the cables cross the

highway which required a lot of extra poles 10 or so years back.

Routine maintenance seems to involve digging away soil at the pole base

and treating with some aggressive fungicide. I have an idea that the

electricity poles sometimes have *Boron* nails hammered in at ground

level.

--

Tim Lamb

I used this for mine, concreted into the ground

http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-29...ial-mast/32094