Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Dom

Default Installing backyard flood lighting - how much?

I want to install backyard flood lighting.
I went shopping and saw that most of my options are rather inexpensive
to do (thankfully).

My question is this:
I would like a switch put in near the back door to flip the lights on
and off (I am thinking there will be two sets of lights each located
near the gutters of my split level).
How much should I expect an electrician to charge to do this job?

I have thought about giving it a try myself, and if I get stuck, giving
a call. I am fairly comfortable with basic electric wiring in changing
out sockets, switches, ceiling lights, ect..
But the requirement of having to need a new switch put it seems to take
it to the next step - and I dont feel comfortable taking that on?

I realize that the cost may differ based on location. I am in central
NJ.

Thanks for replying,
Dom

ameijers

"Dom" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to install backyard flood lighting.
I went shopping and saw that most of my options are rather inexpensive
to do (thankfully).

My question is this:
I would like a switch put in near the back door to flip the lights on
and off (I am thinking there will be two sets of lights each located
near the gutters of my split level).
How much should I expect an electrician to charge to do this job?

I have thought about giving it a try myself, and if I get stuck, giving
a call. I am fairly comfortable with basic electric wiring in changing
out sockets, switches, ceiling lights, ect..
But the requirement of having to need a new switch put it seems to take
it to the next step - and I dont feel comfortable taking that on?

I realize that the cost may differ based on location. I am in central
NJ.

It all depends on what sort of access you have to the attic space and/or the
basement ceiling, for snaking wires. Also depends if there is a string from
service panel with enough headroom in the load to add the lights to the end
of it, or if you will need another breaker added, assuming you have room.
Could be a few hundred if easy, a couple grand if hard. No real way to tell
without laying an eyeball on it all. One hint, though- if you are into Xmas
lights, this is a great time to add one or two GFCI convenience outlets up
in the soffit out of the weather, to plug the lights into.

aem sends...

Dom

The circuit box is on the back wall of the house at the basement level.
I think it would be rather easy to snake wires (attic access is also
quite easy, though dusty).
I was hoping that since there is already a light switch located at the
door way for interior lights that he could tap off that power for the
exterior ones (possibily).
I didn't think about the requirement for additional breakers. I do
have some spares already in the box for expansion.

The idea about christmas lights is a good one!
I would like to add an outlet in the carport.
I will have to keep that in mind!