Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Larry

Default New house in Flood Plain - Builder/Agent did not disclose...

Hi,

We are purchasing a new house in York County, SC. We signed a contract and
applied for a loan. The mortgage company recently sent us a notice that our
new house is in a "special flood hazard area" (a 1% chance of flood equal to
or exceeding the base elevation....). Looks like either flood zone A, or
maybe C. So now we are required to get flood insurance; the cost unknown at
this time.

This home is not on the coast, lake or pond, so any flood possibly is not
apparent. It's a 3 acre lot that slopes down toward a creek. The house is
on the higher/upper portion of the lot. I walked down the slope from the
house a good 300 - 400 feet and still didn't get to the creek (too much
brush). I estimate that the elevation from that point to the house was
approx 100 feet.

I'm thinking the builder should have disclosed this in the contract. Is
that not so? Also, I reading that the cost of flood insurance goes down per
the number of feet your first floor is above the flood plain. How is this
determined?

Thnx in advance!

Larry

Travis Jordan

Larry wrote:
We are purchasing a new house in York County, SC. We signed a
contract and applied for a loan. The mortgage company recently sent
us a notice that our new house is in a "special flood hazard area" (a
1% chance of flood equal to or exceeding the base elevation....).
Looks like either flood zone A, or maybe C. So now we are required
to get flood insurance; the cost unknown at this time.

This home is not on the coast, lake or pond, so any flood possibly is
not apparent. It's a 3 acre lot that slopes down toward a creek.
The house is on the higher/upper portion of the lot. I walked down
the slope from the house a good 300 - 400 feet and still didn't get
to the creek (too much brush). I estimate that the elevation from
that point to the house was approx 100 feet.

By petitioning FEMA you can probably get the house itself removed from
the flood zone. Find a local engineering firm (not this one!) who can
do it for you.

http://www.floodzonecorrection.com/

Joshua Putnam

In article ,
says...

This home is not on the coast, lake or pond, so any flood possibly is not
apparent. It's a 3 acre lot that slopes down toward a creek. The house is
on the higher/upper portion of the lot. I walked down the slope from the
house a good 300 - 400 feet and still didn't get to the creek (too much
brush). I estimate that the elevation from that point to the house was
approx 100 feet.

You may want to get an elevation certificate done for your home. If any
part of your parcel is in a flood zone, it is assumed your home is within
the flood zone until you have a surveyor determine otherwise. From your
description, I would guess the bottom of your parcel is in the flood
hazard area, therefore any building on your lot is assumed to be in the
flood hazard area.

Start with the flood zone determination, a standard form that told the
mortgage company you need flood insurance. It will show the elevation of
the flood hazard zone. You need to find out if your house is within that
zone or not.

If your communitiy participates in the national flood insurance program,
then your local building department should already have a good idea on
this, maybe even a preliminary elevation certificate based on the plans
during permitting. If not, your flood insurance agent should be able to
refer you to someone who can do the elevation certificate.

Also note: if it turns out you're only a few feet above flood, you might
want to get flood insurance even if it isn't required. Mapping flood
zones is not an exact science, and about a third of flood insurance
claims occur outside special flood hazard areas.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:37:52 -0500, someone wrote:

We are purchasing a new house in York County, SC. We signed a contract and
applied for a loan. The mortgage company recently sent us a notice that our
new house is in a "special flood hazard area"

From the description you posted, sounds like you need to bitch to the
company. How do they "know" the HOUSE is in such a zone? Especially
if its a new house. I have worked with FEMA flood maps before, and
the lender probably has the most primitive approach to this. When I
used to do it, it was often up to the Appraiser to flag this - and
they are not surveyors! Part of the lot is likely in the zone - but
is the house?

And before you "accuse" somebody, what does the builder say, when you
just ASK (not accuse) "hey, the lender says the house is in a flood
zone - what do you say about that???". The builder may be irate and
say BULL**** and be on your side. Only if they say, "yeah sure" do
you go forward with the "but you didn't tell me that" approach.

Steve

v wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:37:52 -0500, someone wrote:

We are purchasing a new house in York County, SC. We signed a

contract and
applied for a loan. The mortgage company recently sent us a notice

that our
new house is in a "special flood hazard area"

Also, you might as well see the flood map in question for yourself, at
the FEMA site. After you find the right map in your town, click on the
blue dot.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?J1031216A

Larry

Thnx all for the advice and support! We got the site elevation certificate
for the property (house is not in the flood zone) and filed with FEMA a
couple of days ago for exception. Wish us luck!!

Larry

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:35:54 -0500, someone wrote:

Thnx all for the advice and support! We got the site elevation certificate
for the property (house is not in the flood zone) ....

OK so back to you Original Post - just what was it the builder didn't
disclose to you? That the house was NOT in a flood zone???? What's
to disclose???