Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default DIY Plumbers

I am quite sure that many people have come across this at some time.

You want to replace the taps on the bathroom basin. You don't wish to get a
plumber in for financial reasons or fear of getting well and truly ripped
off (they're not all crooks), so you decide to have a go yourself......

An easy job, or is it.?

Disconnecting the water pipes is easy, providing you have remembered to turn
the water off first. You have one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-C...7187765&sr=8-2

and one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-C...7187816&sr=8-7

some of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-35373...7188169&sr=1-7

and finally, one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-W...188342&sr=1-25

but, you still can not get up inside the basin to the tap fixing nut because
all the tools you have seem to be too big or is it the basin isn't big
enough, and the tap itself will not turn on the sink.

Apart from smashing the sink, which kind of defeats the object of the
excercise, how does one get the illusive tap fixing nut off.

Would love to know how others approach and solve this problem.

By the way, it is not a job that I am embarking on, but one I have come
across before.

Kindest regards,

Jim

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In message ,
the_constructor writes
I am quite sure that many people have come across this at some time.

You want to replace the taps on the bathroom basin. You don't wish to get a
plumber in for financial reasons or fear of getting well and truly ripped
off (they're not all crooks), so you decide to have a go yourself......

Or rather because DIY actually stands for "do it yourself"

Can't really advise however, since I only had such a problem with bath
taps and it was just a matter of frigging and farting about
until I succeeded

--
geoff
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Jun 5, 3:49*pm, geoff wrote:
In message ,
the_constructor writes

I am quite sure that many people have come across this at some time.

You want to replace the taps on the bathroom basin. You don't wish to get a
plumber in for financial reasons or fear of getting well and truly ripped
off (they're not all crooks), so you decide to have a go yourself......

Or rather because DIY actually stands for "do it yourself"

Can't really advise however, since I only had such a problem with bath
taps and it was just a matter of frigging and farting about
until I succeeded

--
geoff

Friends of my wife had four plumbing jobs to do - a day's chargeable
work. That was change the electric shower (like for like as the old
one had failed), replace bath and basin taps and sort out the piping
to the outside tap.

Two plumbers quoted - neither turned up. I got volunteered and as a
DIY plumber did the job well inside the working day and got payment
that was good for me and probably good for the payer. The only
investment I did make was a set of tap box spanners which made dealing
with tap nuts so much easier.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2011 15:06, the_constructor wrote:
[...]

You spend an outrageous sum of money on a set of these;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/armeg-jaw-...mbing%20Wrench

They are worth every penny. You can have mine when you pry them from my
cold dead hands....

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

[...]

I use one of these and have yet to run into a problem:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/taptool-univ...r/invt/420064/

Colin Bignell

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote in message
[...]

I have one too, and I've found very little that they actually fit!

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2011 20:34, Farmer Giles wrote:
[...]

It works well enough on taps and is cheap enough to replace when I
forget where I put it between plumbing jobs.

Colin Bignell
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote in message
news
[...]

Fair enough, but I have honestly found it next to useless. It must be me!

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

You spend an outrageous sum of money on a set of these;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/armeg-jaw-...mbing%20Wrench

They are worth every penny. You can have mine when you pry them from my
cold dead hands....

At £50, it is easy to see where the jaw-dropper name come from ;-)

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2011 21:32, Java Jive wrote:
Or even just: "Change the washers to stop the taps dripping".

To change a washer in the kitchen cold mixer tap, you have to turn off
the main and then drain the feeder to the loft tank, with the
consequent danger of causing airlocks.

Why? If you tie up the ball valve (or just don't open any taps fed from
the header) the feed pipe will remain full if you don't hang about.

To change a washer in any other cold tap, you have to turn off the
main and throw away all the water in the header tank.

Why? Just put a cork in the tank's outlet.

To change a washer in any hot tap, you have to throw away all your hot
water as well.

Why? If there's no tap in the cold feed pipe between the header and the
hot cylinder, just put a cork in the appropriate outlet, as before.

Then you find that because the taps were manufactured in the eighties
to look good rather than last well, you find that you can't get, say,
a new brass screw to hold the washer in position, but have to buy at
least a new tap innards, more probably a new set of taps.

All my life I've been used to changing washers the moment I saw a
dripping tap, but these days I grit my teeth and just let them drip.

Why not just bite the bullet and insert stop taps/ service valves in all
the appropriate places to make life easier in future?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2011 13:47, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Indeed. I have full bore quarter turn isolating valves on every feed to
every tap.

Colin Bignell
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2011 08:56, Farmer Giles wrote:
[...]

No. I found mine useless as well.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2011 14:08, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:

Indeed. I have full bore quarter turn isolating valves on every feed to
every tap.

I do on all the ones I have fitted. Those that predate me do not.

Andy
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2011 00:31, Java Jive wrote:
I had to read that twice ... momentary visions of copper pipe wrapping
itself around you and crushing you to death, and then swallowing you
whole!

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 19:57:58 +0100, Andy
wrote:

I do on all the ones I have fitted. Those that predate me do not.

:O lol

Would antedate suit you better? Or just a hyphen?

Andy
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Jun 5, 3:06*pm, "the_constructor"
wrote:
I am quite sure that many people have come across this at some time.

You want to replace the taps on the bathroom basin. You don't wish to get a
plumber in for financial reasons or fear of getting well and truly ripped
off (they're not all crooks), so you decide to have a go yourself......

An easy job, or is it.?

Disconnecting the water pipes is easy, providing you have remembered to turn
the water off first. You have one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-C...n-Wrench/dp/B0...

You can buy tap spanner exactly for this purpose. the spanner bit is
perpendicular to a long shaft so yo ucan rech right up into the basin
and grip the nut. Search for "tap spanner" on ebay and you'll find
many types. With these you can tighten the nut while the tap is
still connected to the pipe.

Robert

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

My solution was a bit cheaper but probably just as effective. I turned up a
couple of S/H Snap-On "crows-foot" spanners on e-bay in the US - and pushed
the ratchet, extension bars and UJ from a knackered old 3/8ths socket set
back into service. I now have one HELL of a tap spanner!

I think I paid about $13 for each including postage - which is a bargain
really as Snap-On stuff fetches silly prices over here, even when used.

[...]

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 23:02:02 +0100, "Midge"
wrote:

My solution was a bit cheaper but probably just as effective. I turned up a
couple of S/H Snap-On "crows-foot" spanners on e-bay in the US - and pushed
the ratchet, extension bars and UJ from a knackered old 3/8ths socket set
back into service. I now have one HELL of a tap spanner!

I think I paid about $13 for each including postage - which is a bargain
really as Snap-On stuff fetches silly prices over here, even when used.

I thought that USAnians used "wrenches" rather than "spanners" ;-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Java Jive
saying something like:

To change a washer in any hot tap, you have to throw away all your hot
water as well.

No, you just shut off the valve at the bottom of the hot cylinder that's
on the feed pipe. If, of course, it isn't seized or broken.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

My sincerest thanks to all who contributed to this thread and the advice.

T'was a wonderful experience.

Kindest regards,

Jim

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2011 12:04, Java Jive wrote:
On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 21:32:14 +0100, Java
wrote:

Or even just: "Change the washers to stop the taps dripping".

To change a washer in any other cold tap, you have to turn off the
main and throw away all the water in the header tank.

Actually, I've just re-examined the stop-cocks, and there is one to
isolate the bathroom cold-taps

To change a washer in any hot tap, you have to throw away all your hot
water as well.

This is correct. There is a stop-cock to the HW tank. But if I close
it right down the hot-taps in the bathroom still run full on.

In that case, do what I suggested earlier. Reach down into the cold
header tank and bung a cork in the outlet which feeds the hot cylinder.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Jun 12, 12:04 pm, Java Jive wrote:
On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 21:32:14 +0100, Java Jive
wrote:

Or even just: "Change the washers to stop the taps dripping".

To change a washer in any other cold tap, you have to turn off the
main and throw away all the water in the header tank.

Actually, I've just re-examined the stop-cocks, and there is one to
isolate the bathroom cold-taps

To change a washer in any hot tap, you have to throw away all your hot
water as well.

This is correct. There is a stop-cock to the HW tank. But if I close
it right down the hot-taps in the bathroom still run full on.

so freeze the fecker with pipe freezing spray?

Consider where and whether ycba to fit an iso valve when frozen or
wing it with just the tap repair...

Jim K

One for the plumbers John UK diy 12 October 22nd 08 09:20 AM
one for the plumbers? Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 5 September 10th 08 11:35 PM
B*****y plumbers The Medway Handyman UK diy 65 September 27th 07 07:53 AM
One for the plumbers? Harry Bloomfield UK diy 14 February 20th 05 08:30 PM