Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Farmer Giles[_2_] Farmer Giles[_2_] is offline

Default DIY Plumbers

"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote in message
news
On 05/06/2011 20:34, Farmer Giles wrote:
"Nightjar"cpb"@""insertmysurnamehere wrote in message
On 05/06/2011 15:06, the_constructor wrote:
I am quite sure that many people have come across this at some time.

You want to replace the taps on the bathroom basin. You don't wish to
get
plumber in for financial reasons or fear of getting well and truly
ripped
off (they're not all crooks), so you decide to have a go yourself......

An easy job, or is it.?

Disconnecting the water pipes is easy, providing you have remembered to
turn
the water off first. You have one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-C...7187765&sr=8-2

and one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-C...7187816&sr=8-7

some of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-35373...7188169&sr=1-7

and finally, one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-W...188342&sr=1-25

but, you still can not get up inside the basin to the tap fixing nut
because
all the tools you have seem to be too big or is it the basin isn't big
enough, and the tap itself will not turn on the sink.

Apart from smashing the sink, which kind of defeats the object of the
excercise, how does one get the illusive tap fixing nut off.

Would love to know how others approach and solve this problem.

By the way, it is not a job that I am embarking on, but one I have come
across before.

I use one of these and have yet to run into a problem:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/taptool-univ...r/invt/420064/

I have one too, and I've found very little that they actually fit!

It works well enough on taps and is cheap enough to replace when I forget
where I put it between plumbing jobs.

Fair enough, but I have honestly found it next to useless. It must be me!