Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default DIY Plumbers

On Jun 5, 3:49*pm, geoff wrote:
In message ,
the_constructor writes

I am quite sure that many people have come across this at some time.

You want to replace the taps on the bathroom basin. You don't wish to get a
plumber in for financial reasons or fear of getting well and truly ripped
off (they're not all crooks), so you decide to have a go yourself......

Or rather because DIY actually stands for "do it yourself"

Can't really advise however, since I only had such a problem with bath
taps and it was just a matter of frigging and farting about
until I succeeded

--
geoff

Friends of my wife had four plumbing jobs to do - a day's chargeable
work. That was change the electric shower (like for like as the old
one had failed), replace bath and basin taps and sort out the piping
to the outside tap.

Two plumbers quoted - neither turned up. I got volunteered and as a
DIY plumber did the job well inside the working day and got payment
that was good for me and probably good for the payer. The only
investment I did make was a set of tap box spanners which made dealing
with tap nuts so much easier.