Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Finish for wooden stair rail?

Has anyone got any preferences regarding a clear finish for a wooden star
rail? I made the rail from pine and stained it with "old pine" stain. It
looks rather nice, but I think some kind of final finish might be in order.

The firs time I did one of these, I used yacht varnish. I vowed to use
something different next time. I didn't like the feel of the yacht varnish
somehow.

What about some kind of wax? Or would that feel sticky to the touch? (I've
never experimented with wax finishes before.

I do have a tin of teak oil somewhere. That might be an option, yes?

Thanks

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_z" wrote in message

Has anyone got any preferences regarding a clear finish for a wooden star
rail? I made the rail from pine and stained it with "old pine" stain. It
looks rather nice, but I think some kind of final finish might be in
order.

The firs time I did one of these, I used yacht varnish. I vowed to use
something different next time. I didn't like the feel of the yacht varnish
somehow.

What about some kind of wax? Or would that feel sticky to the touch? (I've
never experimented with wax finishes before.

I do have a tin of teak oil somewhere. That might be an option, yes?

Thanks

Al

In my experience this is a case for the diamond hard polyurethane: and,
conveniently, that comes in 'old/antique' pine: though try some first, as
I've noticed some are a nice brown colour, and others rather over the top
yellow. Especially if you have some nice grain on the stair posts - polish
it well with sanding paper first: comes up a treat. Eggshell is what I
generally use, but on those post tops some gloss shows off the grain to
perfection.

Ordinary varnish always feels tacky and picks up the dirt - especially on
those posts! -, but the diamond hard feels nice and dry and is fairly easy
to clean. You don't really want to wax or silicone type polish, unless you
particularly want the kids to use it as a slide: it is there for *grip*
after all: you don't want your granny to fall when she goes to grab the rail
with her gloves on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 19:59:04 +0000, AL_z wrote:

Has anyone got any preferences regarding a clear finish for a wooden
star rail? I made the rail from pine and stained it with "old pine"
stain. It looks rather nice, but I think some kind of final finish might
be in order.

I finished mine with clear lacquer* - I can have a look for the tin in a
bit and let you know the brand, but it might be something that's not
available in the UK. Early days yet of course, but a year later it's not
showing any signs of wear or discolouration. Stinks like hell for the
first couple of days, though.

* finish is somewhere in the middle between gloss and matte; I wanted a
bit of shine, but not *too* shiny if you see what I mean...

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 19:59:04 +0000, AL_z wrote:

Has anyone got any preferences regarding a clear finish for a wooden
star rail? I made the rail from pine and stained it with "old pine"
stain. It looks rather nice, but I think some kind of final finish might
be in order.

I finished mine with clear lacquer* - I can have a look for the tin in a
bit and let you know the brand, but it might be something that's not
available in the UK. Early days yet of course, but a year later it's not
showing any signs of wear or discolouration. Stinks like hell for the
first couple of days, though.

* finish is somewhere in the middle between gloss and matte; I wanted a
bit of shine, but not *too* shiny if you see what I mean...

cheers

Jules

'Eggshell' I expect. I favour that too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Spamlet" wrote in
:

In my experience this is a case for the diamond hard polyurethane:
and, conveniently, that comes in 'old/antique' pine: though try some
first, as I've noticed some are a nice brown colour, and others rather
over the top yellow. Especially if you have some nice grain on the
stair posts - polish it well with sanding paper first: comes up a
treat. Eggshell is what I generally use, but on those post tops some
gloss shows off the grain to perfection.

Ordinary varnish always feels tacky and picks up the dirt - especially
on those posts! -, but the diamond hard feels nice and dry and is
fairly easy to clean. You don't really want to wax or silicone type
polish, unless you particularly want the kids to use it as a slide: it
is there for *grip* after all: you don't want your granny to fall when
she goes to grab the rail with her gloves on.

Thanks. Is this the stuff you used?: http://tinyurl.com/2uvbj4d

Wow - it's expensive!

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2010 09:59, AL_z wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

If you prefer a wax finish, Briwax P7 Original is probably the best bet,
but it's a relatively hard finish, and hence very slippery.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_z" wrote in message
"Spamlet" wrote in
:

[...]

Yes it can be expensive, but you have found about the most expensive I've
seen it. It does go a lot further than paint though (In fact, it requires a
different technique to normal painting as it is runny and needs to be put on
as thinly as poss, and I've mentioned before that I have found it can even
be put on with wide, thin, flat, very fine-haired, 'artists brushes' you can
pick up in cheapo kids toy shops like 'The Works' for next to nothing, and
they wash out in water afterwards which is very handy.)

Price wise: keep your eyes open, some of the cheap 'sheds' and shops like
Wilkinson often have the stuff for only a fiver or so. Note that there are
two versions of Diamond Hard: you do not need to go all out for the one for
floors, which is often even more expensive.

There are cheaper options here - though you have a hefty postage, so try
your local cheapo shops first:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...onseal&x=0&y=0.
Nothing stopping you using the floor version if it turns out to be cheap and
they don't have the other: just don't use non floor versions on the floor
itself, the other way round is fine, but usually overkill.

There seems to be something of a glut of cheap offers for cherry colour, but
more choice if you include the floor type:
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=r....c0.m270.l1313

Like I said, your local cheapo shops my be selling off the odd few tins more
cheaply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_z said the following on 07/09/2010 20:59:
Has anyone got any preferences regarding a clear finish for a wooden star
rail? I made the rail from pine and stained it with "old pine" stain. It
looks rather nice, but I think some kind of final finish might be in order.

The firs time I did one of these, I used yacht varnish. I vowed to use
something different next time. I didn't like the feel of the yacht varnish
somehow.

What about some kind of wax? Or would that feel sticky to the touch? (I've
never experimented with wax finishes before.

I do have a tin of teak oil somewhere. That might be an option, yes?

Thanks

Al

If you go for wax as here are some comments ...

a. briwax clear original (as has been said) is good. There is wax in
colour too that only provides a mild addition of colour.

b. to apply you would be better off using extra fine wool (0000). I
find applying wax by cloth hard work. Then you buff it as much as you
like. You cannot stain or apply varnish on top of wax. You simply
rewax to bring the surface back to the shine you like.

c. I have used it on oak tables and fire surround, contrary to comments
and my expectations, I don't find it particularly slippery ... maybe my
fingers...

d. I am not sure if wax would be durable enough to provide a surface to
withstand the dirt that goes on a hand rail. It does not like water and
similar for cleaning it. Varnish maybe more what you need.

I hope it helps a little.

:-)
Charles
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Spamlet" wrote in
:

"AL_z" wrote in message
"Spamlet" wrote in
:

[...]

[snip]

Thanks to all, for the insights. having read your suggestions about
satin/eggshell varnish, I hunted through my old tins and found a spray
can of Krylon matt lacquer. It seems to be acrylic. I used that - several
coats. I don't know how durable it will prove to be; We'll see. I'm
pleased with the appearance and feel - and pleased with the cost: £0.00
(-:

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

a. briwax clear original (as has been said) is good.

IME the problem with the clear is that any bits caught in corners or
grooves show up white.