Old February 22nd 06, 11:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair
mwlogs

Default Stair rail - which side?

I'm finaly getting around to putting a rail up the stairs to the second
floor I added to my home several years ago. Question is, which side is the
standard for a rail? I seem to recall seeing then on either side, however
for my application I think having it on the left side as you go up makes
better sense.

Any rules on this?

Thanks!

Mark

Old February 23rd 06, 12:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

mwlogs wrote:
I'm finaly getting around to putting a rail up the stairs to the
second floor I added to my home several years ago. Question is,
which side is the standard for a rail? I seem to recall seeing then
on either side, however for my application I think having it on the
left side as you go up makes better sense.

Any rules on this?

Thanks!

Mark

Regulations are likely to be local. You will need to contact the local
authorities.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old February 23rd 06, 01:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Both sides are better and safer too.

Old February 23rd 06, 01:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Both sides are better and safer too.

Old February 23rd 06, 01:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

Handicap compliance to the ADA:
"Hand railing must be securely anchored, have a smooth surface and easy
to grasp, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inches in diameter
Mounted between 34 and 38 inches high.
Handrails projecting from a wall must have a space of 1-1/2 inches
between the wall and the handrail.
The railing ends rounded off, returned to the wall or terminate at the
posts."
http://www.adaptiveaccess.com/grabbar_handrail.php

Old February 23rd 06, 01:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

more at:
http://www.access-by-design.com/basicdim.htm

Old February 23rd 06, 03:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"mwlogs" wrote in message
. ..
I'm finaly getting around to putting a rail up the stairs to the second
floor I added to my home several years ago. Question is, which side is

the
standard for a rail? I seem to recall seeing then on either side, however
for my application I think having it on the left side as you go up makes
better sense.

There are no standard rules. Local codes may apply.

It is suggested on the right hand side as you go down the stairs. I read
that somewhere in a Government standard but can not site the source. The
ADA info in another post was also a part of the post I read.

Old February 23rd 06, 03:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Colbyt" wrote in message

It is suggested on the right hand side as you go down the stairs. I read
that somewhere in a Government standard but can not site the source. The
ADA info in another post was also a part of the post I read.

In my house there is a split entry. The upper half has the rail on the left
going down as it is not practical to have in on the right. The lower half
has it on the right.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Old February 23rd 06, 03:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Colbyt" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s72...

"mwlogs" wrote in message
. ..
I'm finaly getting around to putting a rail up the stairs to the second
floor I added to my home several years ago. Question is, which side is

the
standard for a rail? I seem to recall seeing then on either side,

however
for my application I think having it on the left side as you go up makes
better sense.

There are no standard rules. Local codes may apply.

It is suggested on the right hand side as you go down the stairs. I read
that somewhere in a Government standard but can not site the source. The
ADA info in another post was also a part of the post I read.

If you have the room, why not do both sides? Very few stairwells are full
walled on both sides, so the wall-mount rail is usually same side as the
banister rail. Stairwells in public buildings are almost always railed on
both sides. Make the rails removable if getting furniture up and down is a
problem.

aem sends...

Old February 23rd 06, 05:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:56:29 GMT, "mwlogs"
wrote:

I'm finaly getting around to putting a rail up the stairs to the second
floor I added to my home several years ago. Question is, which side is the
standard for a rail? I seem to recall seeing then on either side, however
for my application I think having it on the left side as you go up makes
better sense.

Any rules on this?

Rules, as of 1999 BOCA:
If the stairway is otherwise normal, and this is a single-family
dwelling, not subject to special local codes or ADA requirements,
then no, there is no regulation as to which side it should go on.

Opinion:
From a useability standpoint, its better if you can make the
stairway handrail continuous with the bannister at the top,
where there is one, but traffic patterns may militate
against that. The idea is that, when you're starting down
the stairs, you should get to the railing before you get to
the steps. (Which means that, if you can approach the stair
from both sides of the upper landing, you need two railings)

--Goedjn