Posted to uk.d-i-y
AL_z AL_z is offline

Default Finish for wooden stair rail?

Has anyone got any preferences regarding a clear finish for a wooden star
rail? I made the rail from pine and stained it with "old pine" stain. It
looks rather nice, but I think some kind of final finish might be in order.

The firs time I did one of these, I used yacht varnish. I vowed to use
something different next time. I didn't like the feel of the yacht varnish
somehow.

What about some kind of wax? Or would that feel sticky to the touch? (I've
never experimented with wax finishes before.

I do have a tin of teak oil somewhere. That might be an option, yes?

Thanks

Al