Posted to uk.d-i-y
Charles C Charles C is offline

Default Finish for wooden stair rail?

AL_z said the following on 07/09/2010 20:59:
Has anyone got any preferences regarding a clear finish for a wooden star
rail? I made the rail from pine and stained it with "old pine" stain. It
looks rather nice, but I think some kind of final finish might be in order.

The firs time I did one of these, I used yacht varnish. I vowed to use
something different next time. I didn't like the feel of the yacht varnish
somehow.

What about some kind of wax? Or would that feel sticky to the touch? (I've
never experimented with wax finishes before.

I do have a tin of teak oil somewhere. That might be an option, yes?

Thanks

Al

If you go for wax as here are some comments ...

a. briwax clear original (as has been said) is good. There is wax in
colour too that only provides a mild addition of colour.

b. to apply you would be better off using extra fine wool (0000). I
find applying wax by cloth hard work. Then you buff it as much as you
like. You cannot stain or apply varnish on top of wax. You simply
rewax to bring the surface back to the shine you like.

c. I have used it on oak tables and fire surround, contrary to comments
and my expectations, I don't find it particularly slippery ... maybe my
fingers...

d. I am not sure if wax would be durable enough to provide a surface to
withstand the dirt that goes on a hand rail. It does not like water and
similar for cleaning it. Varnish maybe more what you need.

I hope it helps a little.

:-)
Charles