Posted to uk.d-i-y
AL_z AL_z is offline

Default Finish for wooden stair rail?

"Spamlet" wrote in
:

"AL_z" wrote in message
"Spamlet" wrote in
:

In my experience this is a case for the diamond hard polyurethane:
and, conveniently, that comes in 'old/antique' pine: though try some
first, as I've noticed some are a nice brown colour, and others
rather over the top yellow. Especially if you have some nice grain
on the stair posts - polish it well with sanding paper first: comes
up a treat. Eggshell is what I generally use, but on those post
tops some gloss shows off the grain to perfection.

Ordinary varnish always feels tacky and picks up the dirt -
especially on those posts! -, but the diamond hard feels nice and
dry and is fairly easy to clean. You don't really want to wax or
silicone type polish, unless you particularly want the kids to use
it as a slide: it is there for *grip* after all: you don't want your
granny to fall when she goes to grab the rail with her gloves on.

Thanks. Is this the stuff you used?: http://tinyurl.com/2uvbj4d

Wow - it's expensive!

Al

Yes it can be expensive, but you have found about the most expensive
I've seen it. It does go a lot further than paint though (In fact, it
requires a different technique to normal painting as it is runny and
needs to be put on as thinly as poss, and I've mentioned before that I
have found it can even be put on with wide, thin, flat, very
fine-haired, 'artists brushes' you can pick up in cheapo kids toy
shops like 'The Works' for next to nothing, and they wash out in water
afterwards which is very handy.)

Price wise: keep your eyes open, some of the cheap 'sheds' and shops
like Wilkinson often have the stuff for only a fiver or so. Note that
there are two versions of Diamond Hard: you do not need to go all out
for the one for floors, which is often even more expensive.

There are cheaper options here - though you have a hefty postage, so
try your local cheapo shops first:

[snip]

Thanks to all, for the insights. having read your suggestions about
satin/eggshell varnish, I hunted through my old tins and found a spray
can of Krylon matt lacquer. It seems to be acrylic. I used that - several
coats. I don't know how durable it will prove to be; We'll see. I'm
pleased with the appearance and feel - and pleased with the cost: £0.00
(-:

Al