Howdens and IKEA kitchens

Old February 1st 09, 07:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Howdens and IKEA kitchens

The builder who's working for us at the moment looked very scornful at
the idea of IKEA kitchens, and said that Howdens - a trade-only supplier
he uses - make much better quality kitchen units.

Since I have no way of judging this matter, who is a decent-quality
maker of kitchens? The last new kitchen we had I made myself, so I
haven't any experience of buying them.

Daniele
Old February 1st 09, 07:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
The builder who's working for us at the moment looked very scornful at
the idea of IKEA kitchens, and said that Howdens - a trade-only supplier
he uses - make much better quality kitchen units.

Howden's are certainly OK; I have no experience of Ikea.

Bear in mind that if you buy Howden's stuff via your builder he will no
doubt mark up the price, so there is clearly an incentive there for him
to rubbish Ikea.

Also since Howden's supply their units already assembled, then it's much
quicker/cheaper to install than messing about with flatpacks, so that
needs factoring in to the buying/fitting costs.

David
Old February 1st 09, 07:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

The builder who's working for us at the moment looked very scornful at
the idea of IKEA kitchens, and said that Howdens - a trade-only supplier
he uses - make much better quality kitchen units.

Since I have no way of judging this matter, who is a decent-quality
maker of kitchens? The last new kitchen we had I made myself, so I
haven't any experience of buying them.

I've been fitting a Howdens kitchen this week.
No problem at all with the units and fittings, and at a reasonable
price.
Everything is sturdy, and goes together very well.The units are
pre-built, saving a lot of time against flat packed units, as well as
keeping quality up.
There was a rather major problem with the delivery of it on Tuesday.
It appears the person I was dealing with was pretty useless, and hadnt
took much notice of the shortages, when, with a few phone calls it could
have been rectified easily. Another person I spoke to on Wednesday was
very apologetic, and sorted it all out in less than half an hour, and
got the missing bits to me by 1pm.
It restored my faith in them.

I'm not sure that Ikea would be so willing to rectify matters so
quickly, firstly as they have fewer outlets, secondly, their outlets are
far further apart. However, if they have everything in stock, then it
doesnt matter.

Alan.

Old February 1st 09, 08:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 18:59, (A.Lee) wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:
[...]

Howdens say they only supply to "trade professionals".
One of their reasons is :-
It'll fit your space, because a Howdens designer will draw up a
professional plan for your builder to follow.
I can see they want to avoid DIY plonkers, and I guess they are sold
without consumer rights etc ?

Anyone know what I can blag / fiddle etc. to get howdens to supply me
a kitchen (and plan it ??)
I do my own building regs drawings, bricklaying etc. How can I become
a "trade professional" ?

Or, are howdens not worth it ?

If I got one and had problems, how is this dealt with as a non-
consumer ?

Thanks,
Simon.
Old February 1st 09, 08:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

On 1 Feb, 18:59, (A.Lee) wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:
The builder who's working for us at the moment looked very scornful at
the idea of IKEA kitchens, and said that Howdens - a trade-only supplier
he uses - make much better quality kitchen units.

I've been fitting a Howdens kitchen this week.
No problem at all with the units and fittings, and at a reasonable
price.

Howdens say they only supply to "trade professionals".

I can see they want to avoid DIY plonkers, and I guess they are sold
without consumer rights etc ?

Probably, never looked into it. You have a Contract with the fitter, so
as a Consumer, it shouldnt be a problem to you.
They are set up for Trade only, they dont want to be answering numerous
queries from 'private' customers. They like it when you go in, say
hello, give them a list of part numbers, you go and load up. They just
dont have time to get 6 types of handles out to compare them on the 5
different shades of Oak door they have - they are cheaper as they dont
do that, they'll sell me 5 different small doors, and the 6 handles, and
I'll have to show the customer.

Anyone know what I can blag / fiddle etc. to get howdens to supply me
a kitchen (and plan it ??)
I do my own building regs drawings, bricklaying etc. How can I become
a "trade professional" ?

You open a Trade Account with them. Pretty easy, go in, tell them you
are a jobbing builder/carpenter, and you can open an account within a
few weeks. They will require evidence of your work - a business
card/letterhead etc, or turn up in your sign written van.

Or, are howdens not worth it ?

They keep a lot in stock, no need to pay for a Month, they generally get
anything in the next day if not in stock. So, yes, in the Trade, they
are worth it. For a one-off purchase, probably not, as B+Q et al are
easier to buy a one-off from.

If I got one and had problems, how is this dealt with as a non-
consumer ?

You go in tell them the fault, they give you a new one.Never had a
problem yet - we broke a screw in a door handle this week,ruining the
handle. Went in the next day to buy a new handle, mentioned that we had
snapped the screw, got given it FOC.
Alan.

Old February 1st 09, 08:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 1, 6:44*pm, (D.M.
Procida) wrote:
The builder who's working for us at the moment looked very scornful at
the idea of IKEA kitchens, and said that Howdens - a trade-only supplier
he uses - make much better quality kitchen units.

Since I have no way of judging this matter, who is a decent-quality
maker of kitchens? The last new kitchen we had I made myself, so I
haven't any experience of buying them.

Daniele

IKEA recommend that all flat pack furniture fittings are tightened
annually. That's enough to persuade me not to buy a kitchen from them!
Howden's units are more stable because they are glued and dowelled
rather than using cams and pins.

Howden's prices are similar to IKEA if you bargain hard enough,
although the fitter may add a mark up. Factor in the time your fitter
would spend assembling, and Howden's should be noticeably cheaper
overall. Cabinet sizes available are different, so your design may
need to be altered accordingly.

Old February 1st 09, 09:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 19:32, (A.Lee) wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
On 1 Feb, 18:59, (A.Lee) wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:
[...]

Well you can print off a business card easy enough !!
Other points duly noted !

Simon.
Old February 1st 09, 09:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
The builder who's working for us at the moment looked very scornful at
the idea of IKEA kitchens, and said that Howdens - a trade-only supplier
he uses - make much better quality kitchen units.

Since I have no way of judging this matter, who is a decent-quality
maker of kitchens? The last new kitchen we had I made myself, so I
haven't any experience of buying them.

Can I jump in an ask the same question of Second Nature in Bishop Auckland? They
are a trade-only supplier of rigid cabinets and doors, and seem to supply most
of the smaller kitchen shops in the area, and possibly Wickes too.

Anyone here had dealings with both Second Nature and Howdens, and how they
compare in price and quality? I'm looking at a 4k supply-only of the units we
like, from local suppliers, but I suspect I could get some labour thrown in with
that too if I go to an independent fitter with my parts list.

-- Jason
Old February 1st 09, 11:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote:

IKEA recommend that all flat pack furniture fittings are tightened
annually. That's enough to persuade me not to buy a kitchen from them!
Howden's units are more stable because they are glued and dowelled
rather than using cams and pins.

That would be enough to persuade me to glue all joints while assembling
IKEA units, which is what I do in any case.

Old February 1st 09, 11:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message
" wrote:

IKEA recommend that all flat pack furniture fittings are tightened
annually. That's enough to persuade me not to buy a kitchen from them!
Howden's units are more stable because they are glued and dowelled
rather than using cams and pins.

That would be enough to persuade me to glue all joints while assembling
IKEA units, which is what I do in any case.

I glue all flat pack furniture that I buy. It's surprising how little glue
you need to make it much more stable.

tim

Ikea kitchens F UK diy 2 August 30th 06 12:15 AM
Ikea Kitchens c60w Home Repair 3 April 23rd 06 03:50 PM
Ikea Kitchens c60w UK diy 6 April 23rd 06 03:15 PM
IKEA KITCHENS c60w Home Repair 0 April 22nd 06 12:25 AM
Ikea kitchens Sarah UK diy 5 June 21st 04 05:50 PM