Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Default Howdens and IKEA kitchens

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
The builder who's working for us at the moment looked very scornful at
the idea of IKEA kitchens, and said that Howdens - a trade-only supplier
he uses - make much better quality kitchen units.

Since I have no way of judging this matter, who is a decent-quality
maker of kitchens? The last new kitchen we had I made myself, so I
haven't any experience of buying them.

Daniele

To the best of my knowledge, IKEA have a pretty good reputation as far as
these things go. We had a kitchen-full in place for 17+ years with few
problems. We recently replaced the wall cupboards from IKEA and they went
together just as well as before. My only gripe is that the drawer design
isn't the same so we had to rout out a slot on the new drawer fronts so they
could be made to fit the old drawer frames.

Some people complain that there isn't dead space behind the under-sink
cupboards for piping etc, so you have to have the gubbins 'in' the cupboard
rather than behind a false back wall. Other than that they are well made,
long lasting, easy to assemble, and - umm what was it? oh yes, affordable.