Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Howdens and IKEA kitchens

(Andrew Gabriel) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Even flat-packed, you'll need to take over another room to take delivery
into. I can't imagine what I would have done if the thing had arrived
already assembled, or how I would have collected it.

That's a very good point - when our kitchen was done a couple of years
ago, the boxed ready-built (not Howdens) units were delivered a few days
before they were required. Stored in the kitchen, they filled the entire
room - so had to be stacked in the garden whilst work was actually being
done. Fortunately, the weather was good - since I'd hate to think how
chipboard carcasses in cardboard boxes would stand up to a ****ing wet
day...

On top of that, a corner unit had to be disassembled in order to
physically get it into the house, never mind the kitchen, and a couple of
others (boiler casing and base for butler sink) had to be dismantled to
accomodate a couple of modifications.

Flatpack would have made life a LOT easier.