Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need recomendation on book for learning how to fully exploit a surface grinder

Subject pretty much sums it up. Outside of making metal flat or using a
cheapy endmill end sharpening fixture, I don't have much of an clue when it
comes to utilizing a surface grinder. If it helps gun related projects are
involved including making chamering reamers.

Thanks,

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Subject pretty much sums it up. Outside of making metal flat or using a
cheapy endmill end sharpening fixture, I don't have much of an clue when it
comes to utilizing a surface grinder. If it helps gun related projects are
involved including making chamering reamers.

For that you'd want a tool & cutter grinder, not a surface grinder.

GWE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:10:29 -0500, Wes wrote:

Subject pretty much sums it up. Outside of making metal flat or using a
cheapy endmill end sharpening fixture, I don't have much of an clue when it
comes to utilizing a surface grinder. If it helps gun related projects are
involved including making chamering reamers.

Thanks,

Wes

============
Part of an email response I made to a similar question asked
several months ago:

http://eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/Hom...c382Ok lahoma
votech items are generally good. 2 others besides this one.

http://www.engr.pitt.edu/mac/intro_surface.htm

http://www.engr.pitt.edu/mac/precisi...face_grind.htm

http://www.uwe.ac.uk/cems/research/c...rc/igt/ggp.pdf

http://www.edstudentservices.com/bni...?course=386012
http://www.edstudentservices.com/bni...?course=386013

http://www.eef-techcentre.org.uk/tra...cegrinding.htm

more texts -- probably expensive
http://www.glencoe.com/ps/cgi-bin/ca...=0-02-803071-0

I buy many of my tools from HHIP. good prices and good to deal
with. You
may not need any of these depending on what type of grinding you
are doing.
a magnetic sine bar can be a lifesaver
http://hhip.com/products/product_vie...uctID=800-5410
(I use this mainly for mill set ups now)
http://hhip.com/products/product_vie...uctID=800-5240
http://hhip.com/products/product_vie...uctID=800-5525
http://hhip.com/products/product_vie...uctID=800-5225
http://hhip.com/products/product_vie...D=800-5150&p=2
http://hhip.com/products/product_vie...ID=900-0026-03
also see
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James Harvey's Machine Shop Trade Secrets has a chapter on surface
grinding. He uses a spin fixture to do a lot of work that would have
traditionally been done on a dedicated cylindrical grinder, such as
grinding ejector pins and such for injection mold work. Dedicated
grinding spin fixtures aren't cheap (google Harig and see for
yourself), but I've had success with a regular Phase II 5C spin
fixture, particularly if you're not trying to hold 0.0001"
concentricity.
ww88

On Dec 15, 12:10 pm, Wes wrote:
Subject pretty much sums it up. Outside of making metal flat or using a
cheapy endmill end sharpening fixture, I don't have much of an clue when it
comes to utilizing a surface grinder. If it helps gun related projects are
involved including making chamering reamers.

Thanks,

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 15, 3:31 pm, Grant Erwin wrote:
Wes wrote:
Subject pretty much sums it up. Outside of making metal flat or using a
cheapy endmill end sharpening fixture, I don't have much of an clue when it
comes to utilizing a surface grinder. If it helps gun related projects are
involved including making chamering reamers.

For that you'd want a tool & cutter grinder, not a surface grinder.

GWE

I've sharpened old taps and the cutter head of my woodworking jointer
between centers on my surface grinder. The setup is very simple, two
dead centers to hold the work and a piece of broken hacksaw blade
fixed up to support the flute being sharpened. The difficulty is in
setting it all up precisely, which really depends on what you have to
work with.

Advanced Machine Work from Lindsay has a good section on cutter
grinding.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grant Erwin wrote:

For that you'd want a tool & cutter grinder, not a surface grinder.

I'd love to have a t&c grinder and I recently passed on one because the
Norton I could have likely brought home had too big a foot print to fit in
my garage, er shop. A 6x18 surface grinder would fit and I'm just trying to
learn as much on how to use one to it's fullest potential.

Milling and lathe work seems rather self evident but anything other than
making something flat with a surface grinder has me mystified. I sure wish
Harold lived next door. Maybe he could explain how to use my Leadwell
Tangi-Matic too.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

I've sharpened old taps and the cutter head of my woodworking jointer
between centers on my surface grinder. The setup is very simple, two
dead centers to hold the work and a piece of broken hacksaw blade
fixed up to support the flute being sharpened. The difficulty is in
setting it all up precisely, which really depends on what you have to
work with.

Advanced Machine Work from Lindsay has a good section on cutter
grinding.

I found this on Lindsey, http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks/advmach/index.html

Then I googled::
http://books.google.com/books?id=V5s..._brr=1#PPA1,M1

Is this it?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 16, 9:58 am, Wes wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
I've sharpened old taps and the cutter head of my woodworking jointer
between centers on my surface grinder. The setup is very simple, two
dead centers to hold the work and a piece of broken hacksaw blade
fixed up to support the flute being sharpened. The difficulty is in
setting it all up precisely, which really depends on what you have to
work with.

Advanced Machine Work from Lindsay has a good section on cutter
grinding.

I found this on Lindsey,http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks/advmach/index.html

Then I googled::http://books.google.com/books?id=V5s...&dq=Robert+H.+...

Is this it?

Wes

That's the one. The first few pages look the same, although Lindsay's
reprint is cleaner. I can't download very fast from home.

If you can swivel the grinding head on your machine you can make good
use of dish and cup wheels to grind on the side. Otherwise you may
have to grind on the top.