Junior Member

Default Surface Grinder

I have an old CAPCO surface grinder that needs TLC. Has anyone refurbished one? I need to re-machine all the bedways, I have a Bridgeport Mill, but not confident about how to start the task, any advice!!!
Also all the protective bellows have perished (originally leather) any suggestions on what material (available in the UK) I can use to make new ones!!

Thanks
Tony Ashgrove
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Ahm f'sure no 'spert, but the little water-cooler talk I've heard on this
suggest these things need to be hand-scraped or sumpn. Otherwise you would
*really* have to properly indicate yer BP....
Plus, this mat'l can be very hard.

Also, around sed water cooler, I think I heard sumpn about building up such
surfaces w/ plating of sorts.
Proly a sendout, unless you got big brass Bri'ish gonads.
Perhaps, if this is not a roller bearing unit (ie, "floating", like my Harig
6x12), a thicker viscosity oil might help in the meantime, or set the lube
pump for a higher flow rate, if possible.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Tony Ashgrove" wrote in message

I have an old CAPCO surface grinder that needs TLC. Has anyone
refurbished one? I need to re-machine all the bedways, I have a
Bridgeport Mill, but not confident about how to start the task, any
advice!!!
Also all the protective bellows have perished (originally leather) any
suggestions on what material (available in the UK) I can use to make
new ones!!

Thanks
Tony Ashgrove

--
Tony Ashgrove

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 1 May 2006 05:34:45 +0100, Tony Ashgrove
wrote:

I have an old CAPCO surface grinder that needs TLC. Has anyone
refurbished one? I need to re-machine all the bedways, I have a
Bridgeport Mill, but not confident about how to start the task, any
advice!!!
Also all the protective bellows have perished (originally leather) any
suggestions on what material (available in the UK) I can use to make
new ones!!

Thanks
Tony Ashgrove

Tony..those bedways need to be ground, not machined. Best hire that
out. And its not likely to be cheap.

Worn surface grinders are a tough row to hoe. The bellows can be
found in many places, including the US company called McMaster Carr
Now days they are usually a rubber compond. You CAN use the front
shock boots from some motorcycles for this, in a pinch.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

I was close, eh??
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Did you get this off ebay recently from a guy in Bath. Just wondering as
I wanted to look at it as I was nearby, the guy gave me his number but
was never in when I called and didn't call me back so I didn't bother
bidding.

Tony Ashgrove wrote:

I have an old CAPCO surface grinder that needs TLC. Has anyone
refurbished one? I need to re-machine all the bedways, I have a
Bridgeport Mill, but not confident about how to start the task, any
advice!!!
Also all the protective bellows have perished (originally leather) any
suggestions on what material (available in the UK) I can use to make
new ones!!

Thanks
Tony Ashgrove

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 1 May 2006 09:28:27 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

I was close, eh??

Dead nuts actually. You usually are within spec. G

Gunner

--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
.. .
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Tony Ashgrove wrote:

I have an old CAPCO surface grinder that needs TLC. Has anyone
refurbished one? I need to re-machine all the bedways, I have a
Bridgeport Mill, but not confident about how to start the task, any
advice!!!
Also all the protective bellows have perished (originally leather) any
suggestions on what material (available in the UK) I can use to make
new ones!!

Thanks
Tony Ashgrove

Id be happy as a clam giveing you both Boyer Shults surface grinders.
Ways are actually decent, lead screws are needing replacement.

Now if you can make a road trip to California....

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Thanks for the offer Gunner but I have no plans to visit California
again soon, nothing against it, seemed like a nice place. I don't expect
they were available last time I was there in Downey, LA area late 1970s.

Question for you, would the authorities let a 14 year old wander around
LAX with a Ruger 22 semi auto and a 12g semi auto these days.

Tony Ashgrove wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 01 May 2006 19:37:45 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

Thanks for the offer Gunner but I have no plans to visit California
again soon, nothing against it, seemed like a nice place. I don't expect
they were available last time I was there in Downey, LA area late 1970s.

Question for you, would the authorities let a 14 year old wander around
LAX with a Ruger 22 semi auto and a 12g semi auto these days.

No. Unfortunately. To urban now. Though in my part of California..its
quite common outside the city limits

Gunner

Tony Ashgrove wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Hi Tony

I reckon I have one of the compatriots of that fly press he was
selling judging from the paint and markings. Sweeney & Blocksidge IIRC,
I bought one from a tool seller out at Westbury some years back and he
had a number that came from a place down near Weston super Mare that
looked just the same with the same white painted numbering.

Tony Ashgrove wrote:

Hi David,
No I missed out on the grinder, which I was thinking of bidding for as
spares, but got a fly press off him.

Tony

Tony Ashgrove wrote:

I have an old CAPCO surface grinder that needs TLC. Has anyone
refurbished one? I need to re-machine all the bedways, I have a
Bridgeport Mill, but not confident about how to start the task, any
advice!!!
Also all the protective bellows have perished (originally leather) any
suggestions on what material (available in the UK) I can use to make
new ones!!

Thanks
Tony Ashgrove

Junior Member

[quote=David Billington]Did you get this off ebay recently from a guy in Bath. Just wondering as
I wanted to look at it as I was nearby, the guy gave me his number but
was never in when I called and didn't call me back so I didn't bother
bidding.

Tony Ashgrove wrote:
[color=blue]
I have an old CAPCO surface grinder that needs TLC. Has anyone
refurbished one? I need to re-machine all the bedways, I have a
Bridgeport Mill, but not confident about how to start the task, any
advice!!!
Also all the protective bellows have perished (originally leather) any
suggestions on what material (available in the UK) I can use to make
new ones!!

Thanks
Tony Ashgrove

Hi David
No but I did get the fly press from him, missed out on the grinder which I was looking at for spares
Tony
Junior Member

[quote=Tony Ashgrove]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Billington
Did you get this off ebay recently from a guy in Bath. Just wondering as
I wanted to look at it as I was nearby, the guy gave me his number but
was never in when I called and didn't call me back so I didn't bother
bidding.

[color=blue]