Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
sheltech

Default Looking for electrical tubing

jeez... If I knew what it was really called I could do a proper search ,
buuuut
nnnnnnooooo ! . The stuff I want -and I know it's out there 'cause I saw
something made with it- is small tubing/conduit with electrical wire
running through
it , or fed through it . It just DOH !!! dawned on me that maybe the
approach is
the same as with normal-sized conduit and wiring . What I saw though, was
tubing about 3/32" dia. made into an attractive , medussa-like lighting
fixture/sculpture.

So... any refs for sources of such small tubing , either stainless ,
aluminum . And while we're at it ,
for small lighting supplies ,accessories , and etceteras ?.

Thanks gents ,

DS
http://www.sheltech.net
http://www.soundclick.com/darshelton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
nospam

"sheltech" wrote in message
k.net...
jeez... If I knew what it was really called I could do a proper search ,
buuuut
nnnnnnooooo ! . The stuff I want -and I know it's out there 'cause I saw
something made with it- is small tubing/conduit with electrical wire
running through
it , or fed through it . It just DOH !!! dawned on me that maybe the
approach is
the same as with normal-sized conduit and wiring . What I saw though, was
tubing about 3/32" dia. made into an attractive , medussa-like lighting
fixture/sculpture.

So... any refs for sources of such small tubing , either stainless ,
aluminum . And while we're at it ,
for small lighting supplies ,accessories , and etceteras ?.

Are you talking about conduit? Usually comes in galvanised steel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Fri, 19 May 2006 08:41:41 GMT, "sheltech"
wrote:

jeez... If I knew what it was really called I could do a proper search ,
buuuut
nnnnnnooooo ! . The stuff I want -and I know it's out there 'cause I saw
something made with it- is small tubing/conduit with electrical wire
running through
it , or fed through it . It just DOH !!! dawned on me that maybe the
approach is
the same as with normal-sized conduit and wiring . What I saw though, was
tubing about 3/32" dia. made into an attractive , medussa-like lighting
fixture/sculpture.

Google on 'mineral insulated cable'. Copper or stainless sheath,
magnesium oxide insulation, copper conductors, all extruded as a unit
to form a cable that is a fireproof BX. Naturally explosion proof, no
sealing fittings needed - uses special termination nuts at each end.

Popular for use around furnaces and foundries, and for fire alarm
and suppression systems. And I suppose you could twirl it into a
spring with a light fixture at the top.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

Electrical tubing is often called EMT (Electrical Metalic Tubing. But I
don't know about 3/32" OD. Try a well supplied hobby store for brass
and aluminum tubing in 1/32 inch increments.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------

sheltech wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:38:42 GMT, "nospam" wrote:

"sheltech" wrote in message
nk.net...
jeez... If I knew what it was really called I could do a proper search ,
buuuut
nnnnnnooooo ! . The stuff I want -and I know it's out there 'cause I saw
something made with it- is small tubing/conduit with electrical wire
running through
it , or fed through it . It just DOH !!! dawned on me that maybe the
approach is
the same as with normal-sized conduit and wiring . What I saw though, was
tubing about 3/32" dia. made into an attractive , medussa-like lighting
fixture/sculpture.

So... any refs for sources of such small tubing , either stainless ,
aluminum . And while we're at it ,
for small lighting supplies ,accessories , and etceteras ?.

Are you talking about conduit? Usually comes in galvanised steel.

He's looking for "fixture pipe" - but he wants the fancy stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

sheltech wrote:
[...]

Use copper or aluminum tubing - like fuel line

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
sheltech

wrote:

[...]

Now that sounds like some interesting stuff . Intentions are a bit more
sophisticated than a twirled spring with a light fixture at the end.
It would be for sophisticated twirly things with small light fixtures at
the ends g.

curious individuals can see the sort of thing I'm thinking about adding
lighting elements to . http://www.sheltech.net (the lower right corner
will linik to the page with pix and artistic jibberjabber , the upper left
links to my mild-mannered -reporter -type business.

Thanks for the info , all.

Dar

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

wrote:

[...]

http://www.smallparts.com

look at part number TTRA-02 for aluminum, TTRB-02 for brass, TTRC-02
for copper, all 3/32" OD
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

wrote:

[...]

But only available in 12 or 36" lengths.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jerry Foster

"sheltech" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

There's (or at least was) an outfit in Los Angeles that sold parts for
chandeliers and such (and I'm sure there are similar in other cities....).
Actually, they sold hundreds of different parts so that an artist could
create a chandelier or repair an old one. Anyhow, they had lots and lots of
tubing, fittings, glass parts, etc., etc., etc.

So, Google on chandelier parts...

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

wrote:

[...]

You might also try google for Pyrotenax. I did not (too busy to do
it right now, sorry), but that is the name of the copper-jacketed
stuff they used to run fire alarm wiring in. I've only ever seen it,
and I think it was more like 1/4" or 3/8".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

wrote:

[...]

There used to be something called aluclad as well. I think it is
history though. I got some for a job about 3 years ago, and only one
supplier had it avauilable, and the reel had almost an inch of dust on
it.. Almost the same as pyrotenax, but not rated for as high a
temperature. Pyrotenax is mineral insulated metallic sheathed, made by
Philips Cables. It has a minimum temperature limit of 90C. Some is 2
hour fire rated, some is not.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Fri, 19 May 2006 18:44:54 GMT, "sheltech"
wrote:

Now that sounds like some interesting stuff . Intentions are a bit more
sophisticated than a twirled spring with a light fixture at the end.
It would be for sophisticated twirly things with small light fixtures at
the ends g.

curious individuals can see the sort of thing I'm thinking about adding
lighting elements to . http://www.sheltech.net (the lower right corner
will linik to the page with pix and artistic jibberjabber , the upper left
links to my mild-mannered -reporter -type business.

You want smaller - 3/32"? They make "hardline coax" for radio and
radar internal wiring and coiled-up delay lines - factory made tinned
copper tubing sheath with one conductor down the middle. Comes in big
coils, you will need a wire straightening jig to get straight
sections.

If you make your lighting system 12V "Class II Low Power" you can
use this for lights, but don't expect more than a few candlepower at
each terminus.

You would have to redesign your joint "arrows" to have a splice
point at the center.

-- Bruce --