Martino

Default Plumbing with flexible tubing - how good?

The new house will need fire sprinkling system and when researching the
products I ran into AQUASAFE and AQUAPEX from WIRSBO
(http://www.wirsbo.com), know mostly for its radiant heating tubing.
AQUASAFE is a fire sprinkling system which uses a flexible tubing attached
to the cold water plumbing system. Interestingly, WIRSBO promotes also
usage of its AQUAPEX flex tubing for the standard plumbing. This seems like
a great idea (fast installation throughout complex framing, etc.) but how
good is it (durability, ...)?
P.S. I worked in Italy (temporarily) as a plumber and we used over there
more rigid plastic tubing for cold and hot water (gas as well). This tubing
was covered by the concrete floors so there was no room for human imposed
damage. I wonder how easily can one hurt the flex in-wall tubing with usual
home decoration and retro tasks?
Thanks for any info.

Tony Hwang

Martino wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Is the tubing fire resistant?
All new house plumbing is done with Pemex here but
sprinkler pipes are iron. Sprinkler is mandatory only on
multi-housing complex. Single resisdence is voluntary option.
Tony
Martino

Tony,
the web site says that AQUASAFE "meets National Fire Protection Association
(NFPA) and UL requirements for residential fire sprinkler systems" but I
have no idea if it's fire resistant.

I think we have similar codes in Seattle but my new house will need a min of
20' wide driveway + a fire truck hummer-style turn or a fire sprinkler
system (the driveway is 180' long!!!) - I am going for a fire sprinkler
(they say it should be about $1.50/living sq. ft.)

Martino

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Martino wrote:
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Martino" wrote in message
Tony,
the web site says that AQUASAFE "meets National Fire Protection
Association (NFPA) and UL requirements for residential fire sprinkler
systems" but I have no idea if it's fire resistant.

To my knowledge, all plastics in construction must be fire resistant. Worst
case scenario is that the tubing would burn, leak water and put the fire
out.

HeatMan

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Martino" wrote in message
Tony,
the web site says that AQUASAFE "meets National Fire Protection
Association (NFPA) and UL requirements for residential fire sprinkler
systems" but I have no idea if it's fire resistant.

To my knowledge, all plastics in construction must be fire resistant.

Worst
case scenario is that the tubing would burn, leak water and put the fire
out.

You're not far from the truth. Former neighbor had his lawn mower catch
fire one evening and the fire melted the solder that was connecting the
water lines in the basement. The ensuing flood put the fire out.