Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
sheltech

Default Looking for electrical tubing

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 May 2006 08:41:41 GMT, "sheltech"
wrote:

jeez... If I knew what it was really called I could do a proper search ,
buuuut
nnnnnnooooo ! . The stuff I want -and I know it's out there 'cause I saw
something made with it- is small tubing/conduit with electrical wire
running through
it , or fed through it . It just DOH !!! dawned on me that maybe the
approach is
the same as with normal-sized conduit and wiring . What I saw though,

was
tubing about 3/32" dia. made into an attractive , medussa-like

lighting
fixture/sculpture.

Google on 'mineral insulated cable'. Copper or stainless sheath,
magnesium oxide insulation, copper conductors, all extruded as a unit
to form a cable that is a fireproof BX. Naturally explosion proof, no
sealing fittings needed - uses special termination nuts at each end.

Popular for use around furnaces and foundries, and for fire alarm
and suppression systems. And I suppose you could twirl it into a
spring with a light fixture at the top.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Now that sounds like some interesting stuff . Intentions are a bit more
sophisticated than a twirled spring with a light fixture at the end.
It would be for sophisticated twirly things with small light fixtures at
the ends g.

curious individuals can see the sort of thing I'm thinking about adding
lighting elements to . http://www.sheltech.net (the lower right corner
will linik to the page with pix and artistic jibberjabber , the upper left
links to my mild-mannered -reporter -type business.

Thanks for the info , all.

Dar