Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

Default Looking for electrical tubing

On Fri, 19 May 2006 08:41:41 GMT, "sheltech"
wrote:

jeez... If I knew what it was really called I could do a proper search ,
buuuut
nnnnnnooooo ! . The stuff I want -and I know it's out there 'cause I saw
something made with it- is small tubing/conduit with electrical wire
running through
it , or fed through it . It just DOH !!! dawned on me that maybe the
approach is
the same as with normal-sized conduit and wiring . What I saw though, was
tubing about 3/32" dia. made into an attractive , medussa-like lighting
fixture/sculpture.

Google on 'mineral insulated cable'. Copper or stainless sheath,
magnesium oxide insulation, copper conductors, all extruded as a unit
to form a cable that is a fireproof BX. Naturally explosion proof, no
sealing fittings needed - uses special termination nuts at each end.

Popular for use around furnaces and foundries, and for fire alarm
and suppression systems. And I suppose you could twirl it into a
spring with a light fixture at the top.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545