Eric Chomko

Default wiring a kitchen island

I have looked into under counter wiring which seems sort of silly for
surface appliances. I'm leaning toward face-up plugs like floor plugs but
on the countertop. Any suggestions?

Also, foot traffic around an island seem to make using a "wall" plug
somewhat dangerous.

TIA,
Eric

Roger Taylor

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message
I have looked into under counter wiring which seems sort of silly for
surface appliances. I'm leaning toward face-up plugs like floor plugs but
on the countertop. Any suggestions?

Also, foot traffic around an island seem to make using a "wall" plug
somewhat dangerous.

Face up plugs are a dangerous idea, re fluids, knife points, etc.

Kevin

Eric Chomko wrote:
I have looked into under counter wiring which seems sort of silly for
surface appliances. I'm leaning toward face-up plugs like floor plugs but
on the countertop. Any suggestions?

Wouldn't face-up plugs be problematic on a kitchen surface in the
event of spills, especially liquid, but even flour/sugar/etc.
Mikey S.

I've never used one personally but I think there is something called a
pedestal ( or maybe a tombstone) that mounts through the island and allows
the outlets to sit normally instead of face up. Face up seems to be a bad
idea on a counter, something is bound to fall into them, it always happens
with floor outlets and causes problems ( experience at work), and I bet this
would be even worse on a kitchen counter.

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message
I have looked into under counter wiring which seems sort of silly for
surface appliances. I'm leaning toward face-up plugs like floor plugs but
on the countertop. Any suggestions?

Also, foot traffic around an island seem to make using a "wall" plug
somewhat dangerous.

TIA,
Eric

Bud

Roger Taylor wrote:

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message

I have looked into under counter wiring which seems sort of silly for
surface appliances. I'm leaning toward face-up plugs like floor plugs but
on the countertop. Any suggestions?

Also, foot traffic around an island seem to make using a "wall" plug
somewhat dangerous.

Face up plugs are a dangerous idea, re fluids, knife points, etc.

I agree. Assuming no backsplashes on the countertop the 2005 NEC
requires the outlets within 12" below the countertop assuming there is
less than a 6" overhang. You are right this can be a hazard particularly
for kids, but not as big a hazard as face up.
Another possibility is a box assembly designed for floors that would
mount above the counter with the outlet on the side. Probably somewhat ugly.
SQLit

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message
I have looked into under counter wiring which seems sort of silly for
surface appliances. I'm leaning toward face-up plugs like floor plugs but
on the countertop. Any suggestions?

Also, foot traffic around an island seem to make using a "wall" plug
somewhat dangerous.

TIA,
Eric

My lower cabinets were stock pieces so I had placed 2.5 inch wide pieces of
wood between certain cabinets. The outlets were installed there. I came down
5 inches from the top of the counter. I will admit that cords over the edge
sounds bad. Practically I have not had one accident nor any one complain.

It took me about an hour each with my dremel, and several bits to do each
hole and mount the box. The cabinet guy was impressed with the concept when
we were done.

Face ups are prohibited by the NEC.

Surely you have ends somewhere on your island so you can install the
outlets.

Eric Chomko

SQLit ) wrote:
[...]

: Face ups are prohibited by the NEC.

After further thought and a lot of good advice from others, I think the
pedestal idea is best. There are no cabinets above the island.

: Surely you have ends somewhere on your island so you can install the
: outlets.

All there is are overhangs and they are over 6".

Eric