Bud

Roger Taylor wrote:

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message

I have looked into under counter wiring which seems sort of silly for
surface appliances. I'm leaning toward face-up plugs like floor plugs but
on the countertop. Any suggestions?

Also, foot traffic around an island seem to make using a "wall" plug
somewhat dangerous.

Face up plugs are a dangerous idea, re fluids, knife points, etc.

I agree. Assuming no backsplashes on the countertop the 2005 NEC
requires the outlets within 12" below the countertop assuming there is
less than a 6" overhang. You are right this can be a hazard particularly
for kids, but not as big a hazard as face up.
Another possibility is a box assembly designed for floors that would
mount above the counter with the outlet on the side. Probably somewhat ugly.