Furnace Maintenance?

Old October 4th 04, 06:59 PM
Dave

Default Furnace Maintenance?

Hello,

As a new homeowner, I was wondering whether annual (or other interval)
maintenance is needed on the furnace (other than regular
changing/cleaning of the filter) ? I called the company whose name
was on the heater tag for the unit in the house I live in (it's about
4 years old) and they told me they normally do a yearly or
semi-annually cleaning for customers.

My question is - Is this necessary? And if so, what do they really do
and what is the frequency that I should have it done.

Thanks very much for any info!
Old October 4th 04, 07:06 PM
willshak

Dave wrote:

Hello,

As a new homeowner, I was wondering whether annual (or other interval)
maintenance is needed on the furnace (other than regular
changing/cleaning of the filter) ? I called the company whose name
was on the heater tag for the unit in the house I live in (it's about
4 years old) and they told me they normally do a yearly or
semi-annually cleaning for customers.

My question is - Is this necessary? And if so, what do they really do
and what is the frequency that I should have it done.

Thanks very much for any info!

An annual inspection and cleaning will help maintain your system. If you
have it done before the heating season, you may prevent having an
emergency call during a snow storm or on Christmas day.
Old October 4th 04, 08:38 PM
Bob Kaplow

In article , willshak writes:
An annual inspection and cleaning will help maintain your system. If you
have it done before the heating season, you may prevent having an
emergency call during a snow storm or on Christmas day.

Sort-of-related question:

What is the expected lifetime of a natural gas forced air furnace? Just
replaced the H2O heater this summer after 14.5 years, and wondering how much
life I should expect out of the furnace?

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
To reply, remove the TRABoD!

Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

26-October, 2001: A day that will live in infamy
Support Freedom: http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/

.... One nation under survielence, divisive, with liberty and justice for none.
Old October 4th 04, 08:46 PM
Noon-Air

Provided its taken care of and serviced regularly, *normal* design service
life is 18 - 20 years

Old October 4th 04, 11:41 PM
[email protected]

Hey, here's an idea! How about starting a new group called
alt.hvac.leaveusalone - or better yet alt.hvac.we_are_no_help.

how about

alt.go.****.yourself ???

Because you are an alt.hvac regular, I take it you've discussed this
amongst yourselves and this is your final decision.

Good choice. When can the rest of the world look forward to seeing
your new group go live?

Old October 4th 04, 11:58 PM
Stormin Mormon

Yes. Annual. Remove and clean burners. Inspect heat exchanger. Oil blower
motor. Clear drain line if it has one. Look for visibly bad parts. Run a
couple cycles of heating up and blowing heat. See if limit switches and such
are working.

Spring time maint is a good idea if the unit has AC.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

om...

Old October 5th 04, 12:06 AM
Stormin Mormon

Most furnaces go 15 to 20 years. Yep, it's about time to consider getting
that replaced. The new ones are more energy efficient, anyhow.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus