Bob Kaplow

In article , "TURTLE" writes:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
Most furnaces go 15 to 20 years. Yep, it's about time to consider getting
that replaced. The new ones are more energy efficient, anyhow.

Stormy, The man said his hot water tank give out and had it replaced in 14.5
years and not his furnace. He is now looking at maybe changing his furnace out.

Hmmm, when did I become "the man"?

As a matter of fact, the house is 14.5 years old, so the H2O heater,
furnace, AC, roof, sump pump, fridge, etc. are all 14.5 years old. Only the
owners are older :-(

I guess I'm not surprised to see these groups getting as many flames on
simple questions as the ones I usually hang out in. But a quick glance tells
me that alt.hvac is for the hvac trade folks, while alt.home.repairs is for
folks like me sharing home repair questions. it would seem to me that trade
folks would look forward to educating consumers, so they don't have to deal
with so many ID ten T types all the time...

As to my furnace, we'll see wht the 'pro' says this afternoon. The old one
was supposed to be a higher end unit (90% effecience condensation type).
When I do replace it, it will be with top of the line stuff, with variable
heat and fan speeds.

The house itself is as energy efficient as was possible in 1989: super
insulated passive solar. Most folks don't believe a 3000 ft^2 house in the
Chicago area can be heated with a 100K BTU furnace. [Last HVAC guy to work
onthe unit wanted to know where my other furnace was!] Nor do they believe
that when gas prices went nuts 3 years ago, and news reports had folks with
small houses paying over $1000 a month for heating, that my bill maxed out
at $145 a month. BTW, AC bills are similarly small. One HVAC co told me I
needed a 5 ton unit, the builder speced it out at 2.5 which is what I went
with, and what has done the job well for 14 years now.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
To reply, remove the TRABoD!

Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

26-October, 2001: A day that will live in infamy
Support Freedom: http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/

.... One nation under survielence, divisive, with liberty and justice for none.