Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Harbor Freight Electronic Fly Swatter???

I thought I had seen almost everything electronic, but a Harbor
Freight ad in this weeks junk advertising flyer had a super coupon for

"7.99 electronic fly swatter on sale with the coupon for only $2.49,
requires two D batteries (old separately)".

It looks like an oversize tennis or badminton racquet. Not a clue if
the batteries are hooked up to a grid to electrocute any fly that
crosses paths with the swatter, or if you get a shock if you miss the
fly, or whatever.

Does anyone know what this thing actually is supposed to do
"electronically"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 6:40*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
I thought I had seen almost everything electronic, but a Harbor
Freight ad in this weeks junk advertising flyer had a super coupon for

"7.99 electronic fly swatter on sale with the coupon for only $2.49,
requires two D batteries (old separately)".

It looks like an oversize tennis or badminton racquet. Not a clue if
the batteries are hooked up to a grid to electrocute any fly that
crosses paths with the swatter, or if you get a shock if you miss the
fly, or whatever.

Does anyone know what this thing actually is supposed to do
"electronically"?

Ia have a few of them and they work great, well the one with fully
expensed wires does, the other one has grids of plastic to make it Kid
safe and it's harder to get the mosquitos in, it even kills bees and
horse flies , one wire must be positive and one neutral , I used to
walk my dog where there were deer flies and had to stop in summer till
I got the racket, mine were 15$ , if the wires are fully exposed get a
few of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Jun 7, 6:40 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

Glad to hear it works. I bought one for camp.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 7:40*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
I thought I had seen almost everything electronic, but a Harbor
Freight ad in this weeks junk advertising flyer had a super coupon for

"7.99 electronic fly swatter on sale with the coupon for only $2.49,
requires two D batteries (old separately)".

It looks like an oversize tennis or badminton racquet. Not a clue if
the batteries are hooked up to a grid to electrocute any fly that
crosses paths with the swatter, or if you get a shock if you miss the
fly, or whatever.

Does anyone know what this thing actually is supposed to do
"electronically"?

I have one. Works great...like a bug zapper.

The only thing is, you can't swing it against things like you can with
a flexible fly swatter since it's hard plastic. You have to hit bugs
on the fly by startling them to leave wherever they're sitting and fly
into the grid. Once that happens, the sparks and crackling begin.

Just in case you're wondering, it hurts like heck if you touch the
grid when it's energized. DAMHIKT
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-
Just in case you're wondering, it hurts like heck if you touch the
grid when it's energized. DAMHIKT

I laughed at my son when he told me that. Then I was testing it one
day. Glad I was outside-- Happy to report the swatter will survive
being thrown 20 feet in the air and landing on the lawn.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 8:19*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 16:40:27 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "

wrote:
I thought I had seen almost everything electronic, but a Harbor
Freight ad in this weeks junk advertising flyer had a super coupon for

"7.99 electronic fly swatter on sale with the coupon for only $2.49,
requires two D batteries (old separately)".

It looks like an oversize tennis or badminton racquet. Not a clue if
the batteries are hooked up to a grid to electrocute any fly that
crosses paths with the swatter, or if you get a shock if you miss the
fly, or whatever.

Does anyone know what this thing actually is supposed to do
"electronically"?

Kill bugs! *with a loud SNAP and a big spark! * Where have you been,
man. * * They are more fun than the twitchin' tool.

That's a high price, though. * I buy a couple every time I see them
for $4 at the 'dollar' stores or HF.

Warning-- *If it doesn't seem like it is working, *DON'T* touch the
damn thing. * *That jolt is stronger than the buzz you get from a 110
line.

Jim

I bought a bunch of them at HF as gag gifts a
few years ago. $2
Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:

wrote:

I thought I had seen almost everything electronic, but a Harbor
Freight ad in this weeks junk advertising flyer had a super coupon
for a

"7.99 electronic fly swatter on sale with the coupon for only $2.49,
requires two D batteries (old separately)".

It looks like an oversize tennis or badminton racquet. Not a clue if
the batteries are hooked up to a grid to electrocute any fly that
crosses paths with the swatter, or if you get a shock if you miss
the fly, or whatever.

Does anyone know what this thing actually is supposed to do
"electronically"?

Kill bugs! with a loud SNAP and a big spark! Where have you been,
man. They are more fun than the twitchin' tool.

That's a high price, though. I buy a couple every time I see them
for $4 at the 'dollar' stores or HF.

Warning-- If it doesn't seem like it is working, *DON'T* touch the
damn thing. That jolt is stronger than the buzz you get from a 110
line.

Jim

From two D cells? Well, I failed physics in the Rainbarrel thread, so
I'll try again. How can 2 D cells produce enough
voltage/amperage/whatever to shock a person?

Quite easily. The three volts is fed to an oscillator. The output of the
oscillator is fed to a 10,000:1 transformer. You end up with 30,000 volts
(give or take) across the transformer's secondary winding.

There's really no practical limit to the voltage output than can be had from
a 3 volt input.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-06-08, Jim Yanik wrote:

I saw a video on America's Funniest Home Videos where a guy tried to use
the zapper-swatter on wasps,and got stung.

Yeah. Ya gotta get way too close, IMO. I'll stick with my can of
Black Flag wasp killer. Sucker shoots a 10' stream that'll take 'em
out mid-flight.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oscillator and transformer.

I remember from some where, that tasers (used to shock people) might run on
a 9 volt transistor battery.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"dgk" wrote in message

Warning-- If it doesn't seem like it is working, *DON'T* touch the
damn thing. That jolt is stronger than the buzz you get from a 110
line.

Jim

From two D cells? Well, I failed physics in the Rainbarrel thread, so
I'll try again. How can 2 D cells produce enough
voltage/amperage/whatever to shock a person?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

few years ago. *$2- Hide quoted text -

Well, with inflation they are now $2.49 on sale.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:

dgk wrote:

-snip-

From two D cells? Well, I failed physics in the Rainbarrel thread, so
I'll try again. How can 2 D cells produce enough
voltage/amperage/whatever to shock a person?

Quite easily. The three volts is fed to an oscillator. The output of the
oscillator is fed to a 10,000:1 transformer. You end up with 30,000 volts
(give or take) across the transformer's secondary winding.

There's really no practical limit to the voltage output than can be had from
a 3 volt input.

And while it is the "amperage that kills you"- all those volts sure
get your attention in a hurry.

Oh-- and the best ones we've gotten so far use 2 c cells. The D
cell ones we have either have flakey switches or a weird
oscillator/transformer-- you can hit the bug for a while and nothing
happens--- then it goes crazy when you shake it and nothing is on it.

Heybub-- is 10K:1 the actual transformer on one of these-- or is that
a guesstimate?

An

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 8:21*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

Just in case you're wondering, it hurts like heck if you touch the
grid when it's energized. DAMHIKT

I laughed at my son when he told me that. * *Then I was testing it one
day. * Glad I was outside-- Happy to report the swatter will survive
being thrown 20 feet in the air and landing on the lawn.

Jim

I didn't throw mine, but my arm was sore for a while. By that I mean
several minutes (IIRC). Certainly long enough that I won't test it
again.

Of course, it was nothing like the time during USCG Electronics School
that I got hooked onto a 400VDC power supply, hand to hand, across the
chest, until someone pulled the plug.

I came back to class the next day but 2 other guys who had witnessed
the event quit Electronics School and decide on a different career
path. Wimps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote:

dgk wrote:

-snip-

From two D cells? Well, I failed physics in the Rainbarrel thread,
so I'll try again. How can 2 D cells produce enough
voltage/amperage/whatever to shock a person?

Quite easily. The three volts is fed to an oscillator. The output of
the oscillator is fed to a 10,000:1 transformer. You end up with
30,000 volts (give or take) across the transformer's secondary
winding.

There's really no practical limit to the voltage output than can be
had from a 3 volt input.

And while it is the "amperage that kills you"- all those volts sure
get your attention in a hurry.

Oh-- and the best ones we've gotten so far use 2 c cells. The D
cell ones we have either have flakey switches or a weird
oscillator/transformer-- you can hit the bug for a while and nothing
happens--- then it goes crazy when you shake it and nothing is on it.

Heybub-- is 10K:1 the actual transformer on one of these-- or is that
a guesstimate?

I have not idea what the actual voltage in a fly swatter might be. I picked
10,000:1 as an example of stepping up a DC voltage.

I've seen the reverse, too. In making a home-made spot welder, you might use
a 1:250 ratio transformer to convert 120v down to 0.5 volts at 200 amps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-

Heybub-- is 10K:1 the actual transformer on one of these-- or is that
a guesstimate?

I have not idea what the actual voltage in a fly swatter might be. I picked
10,000:1 as an example of stepping up a DC voltage.

Thanks-- I'll tear one apart one of these days. In the meantime, my
arm says 30,000V is about right.g

[I just wiki-pedia'd it. *They* say 1K-2.5K --- but I'm stickin'
with 30K.g]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyswatter

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"dgk" wrote in message

Warning-- If it doesn't seem like it is working, *DON'T* touch the
damn thing. That jolt is stronger than the buzz you get from a 110
line.

Jim

From two D cells? Well, I failed physics in the Rainbarrel thread, so
I'll try again. How can 2 D cells produce enough
voltage/amperage/whatever to shock a person?

How can walking across a wool carpet on a cold (outside) winter day and touching
a grounded object produce enough voltage/amperage to shock a person? In my dorm
in Cambridge Mass, I could draw a 3/4" spark.

How much more/less power than a couple D cells does a magnet moving past a coil
in a lawnmower magneto produce. Try one of those.

At enough voltage, it doesn't take much current to hurt.

And it only takes a few milliamps to kill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dgk" wrote in message

Warning-- *If it doesn't seem like it is working, *DON'T* touch the
damn thing. * *That jolt is stronger than the buzz you get from a 110
line.

Jim

From two D cells? Well, I failed physics in the Rainbarrel thread, so
I'll try again. How can 2 D cells produce enough
voltage/amperage/whatever to shock a person?

How can walking across a wool carpet on a cold (outside) winter day and touching
a grounded object produce enough voltage/amperage to shock a person? In my dorm
in Cambridge Mass, I could draw a 3/4" spark.

How much more/less power than a couple D cells does a magnet moving past a coil
in a lawnmower magneto produce. Try one of those.

At enough voltage, it doesn't take much current to hurt.

And it only takes a few milliamps to kill.- Hide quoted text -

DC is worse than AC, with AC there is a momentary time when the
voltage/current goes thru zero and muscles can relax and let
go(sometimes), With DC there is no such chance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 8, 8:21 am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

Just in case you're wondering, it hurts like heck if you touch the
grid when it's energized. DAMHIKT

I laughed at my son when he told me that. Then I was testing it one
day. Glad I was outside-- Happy to report the swatter will survive
being thrown 20 feet in the air and landing on the lawn.

Jim

I didn't throw mine, but my arm was sore for a while. By that I mean
several minutes (IIRC). Certainly long enough that I won't test it
again.

Of course, it was nothing like the time during USCG Electronics School
that I got hooked onto a 400VDC power supply, hand to hand, across the
chest, until someone pulled the plug.

I came back to class the next day but 2 other guys who had witnessed
the event quit Electronics School and decide on a different career
path. Wimps.

I got 500 vdc once, no one around. High current. A fly swatter is likely to
be less than 30 ma dc max peak.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From two D cells? Well, I failed physics in the Rainbarrel thread, so
I'll try again. How can 2 D cells produce enough
voltage/amperage/whatever to shock a person?

Quite easily. The three volts is fed to an oscillator. The output of the
oscillator is fed to a 10,000:1 transformer. You end up with 30,000 volts
(give or take) across the transformer's secondary winding.

No need for the transformer, even. A switch (oscillator) into an inductor
will create a "flyback" voltage of pretty much anything you want. It's
generally easier to combine the two, though; A "flyback" switch/inductor with
a secondary step-up transformer. It's also known as an "ignition coil". ;-)

There's really no practical limit to the voltage output than can be had from
a 3 volt input.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Something in the dim recess of my memory, AC is much more dangerous, which
is why Thomas Edison wanted to make only DC power plants. But, DC doesn't
travel down the wire very far. And, so AC won out for power transmission,
cause it goes farther. Parts of NYC used to have a power plant every couple
blocks, with DC power being supplied to the people.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

And it only takes a few milliamps to kill.- Hide quoted text -

DC is worse than AC, with AC there is a momentary time when the
voltage/current goes thru zero and muscles can relax and let
go(sometimes), With DC there is no such chance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Something in the dim recess of my memory, AC is much more dangerous,
which is why Thomas Edison wanted to make only DC power plants. But,
DC doesn't travel down the wire very far. And, so AC won out for
power transmission, cause it goes farther. Parts of NYC used to have
a power plant every couple blocks, with DC power being supplied to
the people.

DC is the method of choice these days for long distance transmission. Back then,
converting to high voltage DC wasn't so easy. Converting AC was.

Edison seemed to have a strong opinion, not well based in facts, perhaps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

And it only takes a few milliamps to kill.- Hide quoted text -

DC is worse than AC, with AC there is a momentary time when the
voltage/current goes thru zero and muscles can relax and let
go(sometimes), With DC there is no such chance.

The benefits of DC are that power losses for the same amount of power
received at the far end. are lower. Transformers can't work on DC,
and they are necessary to raise the voltage to high levels so current
levels can be lower and losses lower. So, until transformers became
understood, as Tesla did and Edison didn't, there was that
controversy. Only with the advent of transistors capable of switching
DC and making it into AC was high voltage long-distance transmission
of DC practical.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From two D cells? Well, I failed physics in the Rainbarrel thread, so
I'll try again. How can 2 D cells produce enough
voltage/amperage/whatever to shock a person?

Guess you've never seen a cattle prod in use. The older ones run on D
cells. I think they use 4 or 6 of them. The newer ones seem to be
rechargable.
http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/cattleprods.html

They'll shock a cow real fast, and there is a large arc and loud snap.
I've seen them in use. I'd sure hate to get zapped with one.
If I ever find one cheap at a garage sale or auction, I'll buy it just
to open it and play with the electronics inside. (I dont own cattle,
and would not use it on them if I did..... seems cruel).

On the other hand, I have gotten zapped with an electric fence many
times. Once I was sweating and got it against my forehead. Knocked me
right on my ass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

From two D cells? Well, I failed physics in the Rainbarrel thread, so
I'll try again. How can 2 D cells produce enough
voltage/amperage/whatever to shock a person?

Guess you've never seen a cattle prod in use. The older ones run on D
cells. I think they use 4 or 6 of them. The newer ones seem to be
rechargable.
http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/cattleprods.html

They'll shock a cow real fast, and there is a large arc and loud snap.
I've seen them in use. I'd sure hate to get zapped with one.
If I ever find one cheap at a garage sale or auction, I'll buy it just
to open it and play with the electronics inside. (I dont own cattle,
and would not use it on them if I did..... seems cruel).

Back in the day, when I was a cop, one or two officers had 6-cell Maglite
flashlights. Except that the flashlight contained only FIVE cells. The space
formerly taken up by the bottom D-cell contained an, um, "goblin getter,"
attached to two 1/4" pins in the base of the flashlight.

If the stink-eye wouldn't cooperate by following some simplest request
("Okay, asshole, what is the largest prime number less than 100,000? Eh?
Eh?"), he, or rarely she, could be encouraged to follow a righteous path.
Sometimes for as long as ten minutes!

In police equipment catalogs, I've seen punk-prods thinly disguised as
regulation batons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Jun 2012 11:37:34 GMT, notbob wrote:

On the other hand, I have gotten zapped with an electric fence many
times.

Gee... only took once fer me. That's pretty much the general idea.

My friend tells me that. He tells the story of ****ing a hot fence
wire....

I know better. Some things you don't have to learn the "hard way" :-\