Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Harbor Freight Electronic Fly Swatter???

"HeyBub" wrote:

dgk wrote:

-snip-

From two D cells? Well, I failed physics in the Rainbarrel thread, so
I'll try again. How can 2 D cells produce enough
voltage/amperage/whatever to shock a person?

Quite easily. The three volts is fed to an oscillator. The output of the
oscillator is fed to a 10,000:1 transformer. You end up with 30,000 volts
(give or take) across the transformer's secondary winding.

There's really no practical limit to the voltage output than can be had from
a 3 volt input.

And while it is the "amperage that kills you"- all those volts sure
get your attention in a hurry.

Oh-- and the best ones we've gotten so far use 2 c cells. The D
cell ones we have either have flakey switches or a weird
oscillator/transformer-- you can hit the bug for a while and nothing
happens--- then it goes crazy when you shake it and nothing is on it.

Heybub-- is 10K:1 the actual transformer on one of these-- or is that
a guesstimate?

An