Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How best to paint fresh masonary patch?

I have a stucco on cinder block wall in need of some mortar patching
where patches of stucco no longer are attached. I would like to follow
up the same day with paint but know most paint wants fresh mortar to
cure for 30 days or more. If the paint peels at the patches I can come
back and touch it up. Is there anyway to do both jobs in one day with
ok results, patch and paint in one day, a vinegar wash and rinse or
some other trick?

Thanks for any help
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2012 8:58 AM, andyeverett wrote:
I have a stucco on cinder block wall in need of some mortar patching
where patches of stucco no longer are attached. I would like to follow
up the same day with paint but know most paint wants fresh mortar to
cure for 30 days or more. If the paint peels at the patches I can come
back and touch it up. Is there anyway to do both jobs in one day with
ok results, patch and paint in one day, a vinegar wash and rinse or
some other trick?

Thanks for any help

There is latex stucco patch, sanded and unsanded. We used it in Florida
and it worked great. Don/t recall the time delay for painting, but the
stuff is easy to use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a stucco on cinder block wall in need of some mortar patching
where patches of stucco no longer are attached. I would like to follow
up the same day with paint but know most paint wants fresh mortar to
cure for 30 days or more. If the paint peels at the patches I can come
back and touch it up. Is there anyway to do both jobs in one day with
ok results, patch and paint in one day, a vinegar wash and rinse or
some other trick?

if you want to do the job twice then do it all in one day...........

some jobs just cant be done instantly, hats the rush?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 10:13*am, bob haller wrote:
I have a stucco on cinder block wall in need of some mortar patching
where patches of stucco no longer are attached. I would like to follow
up the same day with paint but know most paint wants fresh mortar to
cure for 30 days or more. If the paint peels at the patches I can come
back and touch it up. Is there anyway to do both jobs in one day with
ok results, patch and paint in one day, a vinegar wash and rinse or
some other trick?

if you want to do the job twice then do it all in one day...........

some jobs just cant be done instantly, hats the rush?

A costomer 30 minutes away that I would like to get the job done in
one day, not too much patching. If the paint peeled a little at the
patches I could touch up when they need me again for odd jobs.

Thanks for your help!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 12:02*pm, andyeverett wrote:
On May 5, 10:13*am, bob haller wrote:

I have a stucco on cinder block wall in need of some mortar patching
where patches of stucco no longer are attached. I would like to follow
up the same day with paint but know most paint wants fresh mortar to
cure for 30 days or more. If the paint peels at the patches I can come
back and touch it up. Is there anyway to do both jobs in one day with
ok results, patch and paint in one day, a vinegar wash and rinse or
some other trick?

if you want to do the job twice then do it all in one day...........

some jobs just cant be done instantly, hats the rush?

A costomer 30 minutes away that I would like to get the job done in
one day, not too much patching. If the paint peeled a little at the
patches I could touch up when they need me again for odd jobs.

Thanks for your help!

Thought about some coloring in the stucco??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2012 3:18 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On May 5, 12:02 pm, wrote:
On May 5, 10:13 am, bob wrote:

I have a stucco on cinder block wall in need of some mortar patching
where patches of stucco no longer are attached. I would like to follow
up the same day with paint but know most paint wants fresh mortar to
cure for 30 days or more. If the paint peels at the patches I can come
back and touch it up. Is there anyway to do both jobs in one day with
ok results, patch and paint in one day, a vinegar wash and rinse or
some other trick?

if you want to do the job twice then do it all in one day...........

some jobs just cant be done instantly, hats the rush?

A costomer 30 minutes away that I would like to get the job done in
one day, not too much patching. If the paint peeled a little at the
patches I could touch up when they need me again for odd jobs.

Thanks for your help!

Thought about some coloring in the stucco??

Stucco on concrete block is almost always painted, isn't it? In Florida
it is. We used DAP ready mixed stucco patch for a number of large dings
and chips. It is easy to use, can be tooled (not that difficult) to
match existing surface....the tech data says "white", but I can't for
the life of me remember is it is white when it is set. Hubby and I went
around filling in all kinds of chips and missing chunks on our condo
just prior to painting by contractor. One evil problem was a nasty old
rusty fire extinguisher cabinet .. dark green on white building. We
tore it out to discover there as block behind it but the bottom had open
cores of the blocks below. We got some concrete pavers, used the stucco
patch for mortar and filled in so the space had a solid bottom. Shrinks
a little, so used another coat. Used a scrub brush to tamp in the
texture, waiting a few minutes for it to set first. Other than that
area, the largest fill we did was probably 6" x 8" x 2", plenty of
chipped corners hit by mowers. We were really proud of the way it
looked after painting and was still fine 10 yrs later. Tech data says
wait three days to paint, but I think if one used acryllic paint after
it set less one would have much better chance that trying to paint
uncured mortar.

http://dap.com/product_details.aspx?...28&SubcatID=22

Posted to alt.home.repair

andyeverett wrote:
I have a stucco on cinder block wall in need of some mortar patching
where patches of stucco no longer are attached. I would like to follow
up the same day with paint but know most paint wants fresh mortar to
cure for 30 days or more. If the paint peels at the patches I can come
back and touch it up. Is there anyway to do both jobs in one day with
ok results, patch and paint in one day, a vinegar wash and rinse or
some other trick?

Thanks for any help

I don't know the answer, but this morning I happened to be reading the
product data sheet for Sakrete Type N Mortar Mix that I will be using on a
chimney repair. Regarding painting, it just says:

"Can Be Painted -- Using an alkali resistant lime proof paint usually within
7 days provided the masonry is dry" -- whatever that means.

Here's a link to Sakrete product data sheets in case you happen to be using
that brand of stucco:
http://www.sakrete.com/tech-data/ .

Or you could try checking the website for whatever brand you are going to
use.

Masonary Paint Removal Dave Liquorice[_2_] UK diy 41 April 12th 19 10:56 AM
Trade Masonary Paint ? the_constructor[_2_] UK diy 12 July 4th 11 10:33 PM
Paint removal - masonary mo UK diy 28 July 9th 10 10:41 PM
Kingfisher masonary paint GordyH UK diy 1 May 25th 10 11:23 AM
Masonary paint John Rumm UK diy 6 July 6th 04 12:43 PM